Products not for relaxed hair leads to damage

Miosy

I read somewhere (can't remember) that using products that are not designed for relaxed hair can actually damage our hair. For example, using Neutrogena shampoo and conditioner as your main products. Theses products are not targeted specifically for relaxed hair. Whenever I use a product not for chemically treated hair, my hair looks frizzy and dry.
I think there is some truth to that comment.

I think that because relaxed hair is damaged to a certain extent and tends to be dry, it needs as much moisture as possible. I think unless a product says designed for dry/damaged hair, it won't give relaxed hair the treatment it needs. I don't think the products actually damage the hair.

You don't think prolonge use of these products will eventually cause dry hair to be drier and eventually lead to breakage?

If they are referring to store bought chemical services like permanent coloring products, hmm...such as a frosting kit...I can see that
beach.gif

But I think with just regular shampoos and conditioners that are made for i.e. oily hair, your hair can get dried out, and then damage would result from you trying to manipulate and style it from that point.

No - I think that what JRW said perfectly characterizes what happens. When I think about a product "damaging the hair" - I think about it doing so of it's own accord. I think about a product that will gradually compromise the integrity of the hair in and of itself.

If the product merely fails to target the special needs of relaxed hair (which needs special things because it's relaxed) then it will allow the relaxer to have an adverse impact on the integrity of the hair. But I don't think the products themselves will compromise the hair, they just don't take an affirmative action to counteract the effect of impact of the chemical - they allow the hair to "starve" so to speak. In that case, it wouldn't be the product affirmatively damaging the hair - it would still be the relaxer which is being allowing to affect the hair negatively in an unmitigated way.

He is cute DSD. I want to bite his little nose every time I see him. And you take the cutest pcitures of your children!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nessa said:
I know this is out of the subject, but dsd your baby is so CUTE!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Nessa! How's it going girl?!

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
He is cute DSD. I want to bite his little nose every time I see him. And you take the cutest pcitures of your children!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you! I try to keep the camera's full of film and batteries so I don't miss a moment!

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
When I think about a product "damaging the hair" - I think about it doing so of it's own accord. I think about a product that will gradually compromise the integrity of the hair in and of itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, thats a really good way of defining it, I didn't think about it like that...I guess its kind of like with illness distinguishing between actual cause and resulting symptoms...

Products that are not desinged for relaxed hair may not have enough conditioning properties, or may contain ingredients that are especially harmful to dry hair, but I find this to also be true for some products that ARE made for relaxed hair... so I don't think that it's completly true

Back