Prepare hair for a weave???

MWilson569

I'm interested in getting a full head weave. What do you ladies do to your hair before a sew-in besides wash and condition. For example do you deep condition, use protein treatments, leave-in conditioner, oils, cremes or leave your hair bare??? I want my hair to be soft and moisturized under my weave without buildup. I'm also afraid that my hair may dread. Any suggestions would be appreciated...thanks!!!

All I normally do is wash and deep condition. Depending on how my hair feels after that I MAY use a watery leave-in but that's usually it. If you think you're prone to breakage then maybe you could do a light protein treatment. Depending on how your scalp is you can apply a light oil so that it doesn't seep out into the extensions making them greasy. You'll only have a problem with dreading if you leave the install in for too long. When I wore installs I'd wear them for around 12 weeks at a time then have a week or 2 break then put it back in. I always installed with a net so that the tracks didn't put stress on my hair and I used a polyester type silk thread (they sell it at Sally's) instead of the regular cotton thread because it didn't swell when wet and it didn't snag my hair. When I wear my u-parts I take my hair down every 2 weeks and do a good wash and condition, but in between the 2 weeks I just cowash my hair.

If needed, trim your ends if they are damaged before you get your weave. Make sure your hair is not braided too tightly.... And if possible you should leave your edges out some so they won't get thin while you have your weave in.

I love full head weaves for hair growth! I live in what I consider a super sized steam room, so I haven't had one recently...However, when I did, I would engage in a full on "hair spa" prior to hiding my hair away.

I shampoo, protein (I usually do a light protein, as heavy proteins require too much work to return the balance back to my hair), deep condition (like I am about to go to visit an old friend in hell and don't want the flames to sear my tresses), regular condition and moisturize (I always air dry).

For moisture, it is done over 1- 2 days. I usually rinse out my conditioner, then spray with the Aveeno liquid leave in (My hair must be wet, and I run my fingers down the length of it to smooth the cuticle). I then get some creamy leave in, apply that, and seal with something heavier (and less slippery) than an oil. I put my hair in plaits, and take them down the next day to check to see how they 'feel'. Depending on a variety of things (whether I have been diving/swimming/drinking sufficient water/out in the sun all day/sleeping well/wearing my hair loose prior to the spa) I may need to add more moisture, or co-wash and use something different.

I also second (third or whatever number I am!) other who say don't let them braid too tight. Also, I always use a net (even though people often think it is only for those that have problem areas) to distribute the weight and stress evenly. I also always have the stylist use additional hair to braid mine (even though mine is long enough), but the skill level of the stylist might dictate whether you want to do this (if they aren't good, it could look bulky).

Hope you like the outcome when you get it!!

Once you get something you like, you will really enjoy the style!!

i usually do a protein treatment and deep conditioner the week before since i won't have access to my hair for a few weeks.

i also take tylenol right before the appointment. my stylist DOES NOT braid my hair tight, but i am very tender headed and all that manipulation - blow drying, moisturizing, braiding, sewing gives me a headache. it usually takes 4 hour to get a full weave for me, so by the time she's done i'm hungry, evil and have a headache. LOL

ALSO, make sure to wash and condition the hair by diluting your shampoo and conditioning products in an applicator bottle with water. use these mixtures to squirt into the braids under the weave to keep your hair clean and conditioned while it is weaved up. please make sure you don't ignore your own hair while in the weave.

I clarify, do a light protein treatment and a deep condition. I blowdry my hair and also heavily moisturize plus seal my hair (they usually don't like it but I don't give a **** about it). The same steps I do before my sew-ins is the same as for my take down (except fot the blowdrying).

I dont wear weave but I do braid my hair up for wigs. I use the Lady Paniolo method where I DC, PT, then use DC and a thick oil (shea butter etc) as my leave-in. Hair stays super moisturized

If needed, trim your ends if they are damaged before you get your weave. Make sure your hair is not braided too tightly.... And if possible you should leave your edges out some so they won't get thin while you have your weave in.

Agreed...

Beforehand, I'd just give my hair a really good wash and deep condition. Don't make your hair too greasy. You want your leave out to be airy and flowy when it's flat ironed and blended w/ the weave.

I put my weave in today . :yay:

Winter protection! Tick!

I spent this weekend clarifying, doing a protein and deep conditioning treatment.
And putting in a green tea and keratin leave in with coconut oil. I also sealed my ends with castor oil.

Today, I trimmed before putting the sew in.

With a nozzle bottle I will keep moisturised with leave ins and oils. Because my own hair isn't exposed it doesn't need to be daily moisturised, just as and when needed.

Good luck

I'm new and trying to go natural. I have a full weave, but my head is itching under the cap. I'm about to go crazy! Can u suggest something before I take this thing out. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back