I'm getting a weave!!!

HeChangedMyName

a full sew in. A friend of mine who did my hair in the past is doing it for me. Im going to get it after Thanksgiving so that it can last and stay looking good through all of December. It has been years since I've had a sew in so I am taking suggestions on all sorts of things like hair type, brand, etc. She does her closures in the top with a piece of weave rolled up and then sown so that it covers all the hair.

So what tips can y'all leave me with? Should I bother relaxing prior to the sew in or just leave my hair alone? Is it better to wash and blow dry my hair smooth or let it airdry so that it has some texture for the braids? what are the best weave friendly moisturizers for my hair underneath the weave? How often do I need to wash the weave and my hair underneath?

isawstars

I'm on my 2nd sew in and I'm still learning what's best through trial and error. but first... DO NOT RELAX BEFORE INSTALLING. As you know, relaxing weakens the bonds in your hair so the stress of the sew in may cause damage or breakage. There really isn't a reason to relax beforehand since you'll never see your hair anyways.

For washing... I used to dilute my shampoo or conditioner in a cup and pour it over my head, focusing on reaching my real hair. Many women do it but I experienced a lot of build up. So this time around I'm just rinsing with only water and using sea breeze on my scalp to clean it, and later moisturizing. The amount of times you want to wash is your preference... I rinse 2x a month to keep my hair lookin' fresh and not worn and tangled.

You can use your normal moisturizer for your hair underneath. There are also sprays specifically for braids and extensions such as BRX. It's soothing on the scalp.

Although I'm kind of a sew in newbie, I hope that helped a bit.

Last edited:

Lenee925

Hey girl I plan on doing my on sew-ins but I usually keep from relaxing it and let it air dry, less damage the better besides it's going in braids anyway. I find that Nature's Shine moisturizes my braids underneath. It has a spray top, but I transfer some of it out (or your favorite oils) to a bottle with a nozzle top so I can apply it in-between the rows of braids without loosening the tracks. I don't think you'd want to wash it more than 2X a week unless you don't mind having the tracks tightened back up frequently. HTH

Thann

So what tips can y'all leave me with?
I would suggest washing your weave hair prior to the install to cut down on it being itchy. I also use a applicator bottle to apply products to my scalp and the braids.

Should I bother relaxing prior to the sew in or just leave my hair alone?
I wouldn't relax since your not having any hair left out.

Is it better to wash and blow dry my hair smooth or let it airdry so that it has some texture for the braids?
I normally wash and get under the dryer about 30 minutes. I then airdry my hair until the braids are dry and then go over the extensions with a blowdryer later on just to get a more polished look. During the summer I normally don't use any heat and haven't experienced any ill effects, but with the weather being cooler it was a much needed change.

what are the best weave friendly moisturizers for my hair underneath the weave?
I've really been loving NTM leavin. I also have hair left out, so Im able to moisturize my flat ironed hair and still have it look great without re-flatironing often.

How often do I need to wash the weave and my hair underneath?
I normally wash every 1-2 wks just depending on how it feels.

Last edited:

niknik253

Is she applying a net on top of the braids? Because this will cause less stress on your hair to use a net plus you can keep your weave in longer. My only suggestion is to seal your wefts before applys the tracks, and don't get cheap hair (it took me some time to learn this) but it is soooo very helpful to know). Also, have you considered getting a closure piece, instead of using the rolled up weave method.

HeChangedMyName

I wanna know, too. I am getting one shortly after Thanksgiving, too. :grin:

yayyy!! wanna be my weave buddy? Is this your first time or have you had a sew in before?

DO NOT RELAX BEFORE INSTALLING. As you know, relaxing weakens the bonds in your hair so the stress of the sew in may cause damage or breakage.
using sea breeze on my scalp to clean it, and later moisturizing. The amount of times you want to wash is your preference... I rinse 2x a month to keep my hair lookin' fresh and not worn and tangled.

true, i will hold out on my relaxer then, getting this weave might turn out to be the only way that I can do a stretch of any serious length of time. I keep hearing about seabreeze and one of my BSS stores sells it in a superlarge bottle, i might invest in that.

Same here so spill it ladies!!! :grin:

wooohoooo, weavy girls in the house. so when are you getting yours?

I also use a applicator bottle to apply products to my scalp and the braids.

I've really been loving NTM leavin.

ok, so I think I have an applicator bottle somewhere around here. I also keep hearing about thie NTM, do they sell it everywhere or only in certain stores, I've never seen it, but I've never really looked either. I may try some now to see how my hair likes it since I have been killing my cantu shea butter leave in i guess I will have to lay off it while i have the weave.

Is she applying a net on top of the braids? Because this will cause less stress on your hair to use a net plus you can keep your weave in longer. Also, have you considered getting a closure piece, instead of using the rolled up weave method.
you know, i didn't even ask her if she would prefer to use a net or not. last time she did it, she didn't use a net, but I will ask her because the least amount of stress on my hair is best. plus i can imagine that it is easier to remove when it is netted on as oppose to directly on the braids. I haven't really considered any other type of closure. She did such a good job before that I never considered it. It has been years and I'm sure she has new techniques so I will find out from her.

Oh, yeah, I plan on buying some quality hair. Not the break the bank hair since I am not a regular weaver, but something that will look good and not glossy and plastic-like.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I've never had a sew in, what does ''seal the wefts'' mean?

How do you wash weave hair? Do you have to condition it, too?

glamazon386

Buy some decent hair. Don't let her braid it too tight. Treat the weave like you would your own hair. Don't neglect your hair underneath. DC your weave hair. It will make it soft and it will behave better. Do not use a bunch of products on the weave hair. Especially greasy/oily ones. It will weigh it down and make it dirty.

I wouldn't relax it.

Is it better to wash and blow dry my hair smooth or let it airdry so that it has some texture for the braids?
It doesn't really matter. It's up to you. If my hair is already clean (as in I washed it and let it air dry in plaits with no products within the past few days) when I get to him then I just let him braid it from there. If my hair needs to be washed he lightly blowdries it.

I like African Royale BRX Braid Spray. Anything that is not oily or greasy will work. DCing with each wash will also help to keep your hair soft.

I wash and DC once a week. You could go two if you want. I wash mine in the shower just like I do my own hair. I know some people here on the board say use an applicator bottle to get under there and all that but I really don't think that's necessary. I've never done it like that, none of the stylists who have ever washed my weave at the salon have done it like that and my hair is always clean and itch free. If you're not putting a bunch of products in the weave it shouldn't get that dirty anyway. I don't have time for a bunch of unnecessary steps.

ETA: Somebody asked about the net. It's not necessary but it can be helpful for people who have thinning hair or bald spots because tracks can be placed on the net where the person may not have hair. It allows for more tracks to be added and a fuller weave.

Some people also say it's less stress because it's being sewn to the net and not your hair. But you can also eliminate that stress by braiding straight back as opposed to across or the zig zag pattern. The weight of the tracks will be evenly distributed across with a little weight on each braid instead of being attached in the same direction and hanging from the braid itself. You could pull at the whole braid when trying to brush, comb or detangle.

Also if you use the net, you don't have to add the synthetic braiding hair to your hair. Some people have mentioned that they are allergic to the chemicals on the synthetic hair and want to wash it first and blah blah blah. I've never had that problem. As long as it is Kanekalon and not the regular cheapy synthetic it will be fine. And it'll be easier to take down with the net because once you get the net off for the most part the tracks will be attached to it and the whole thing will come off in once piece. Then you'll just have to unbraid your own hair. There won't be synthetic hair to unbraid and take out after you cut all the tracks out. It's also easier to take out vertical braids versus horizontal ones. When it's braided horizontal it's usually one giant braid. When you braid it straight back as opposed to across the weave lays flatter. So it's really up to you as far as what you deem as more convenient.

I've had it done both ways and personally I prefer it to be done without the net. But my current stylist uses it so I just let him do what he does. The only issue I have with the net is that I can't scratch or get to my scalp that well.

Last edited:

glamazon386

I've never had a sew in, what does ''seal the wefts'' mean?

How do you wash weave hair? Do you have to condition it, too?

You have to wash, detangle and condition it just like you would your own hair. I use all the same products and steps.

ETA: Sealing the wefts means putting glue (I know some people use some craft type stuff. I think you can use clear nail polish too.) on the actual track/weft part before installing to cut down on shedding. I've never done it but I've heard of it before.

HeChangedMyName

Yall, I feel myself punking out already. I washed my hair, blowdried it, flat ironed it and it looks like new. I haven't even bought my hair yet for my weave. I am 8 weeks post so my ng was kicking my behind, but that heat protectant and all that heat have my hair feeling like butter. lol.

anomcasm

Hey...I've worn weaves off and on for years. I always relax before I get the sew-ins and I have NEVER had breakage, but perhaps my hair is just a little different. Also, I leave some hair out in the top, so I need to have that part relaxed. I usually wash about twice a month. Since using Mega Tek, I wash a little more often, but still no more thant three times a month. I also use IC with aloe conditioner and wild growth (sparingly) on my scalp for moisture. My hair has gotten much stronger and healthier. HTH

Last edited:

QTPie

Buy some decent hair. Don't let her braid it too tight. Treat the weave like you would your own hair. Don't neglect your hair underneath. DC your weave hair. It will make it soft and it will behave better. Do not use a bunch of products on the weave hair. Especially greasy/oily ones. It will weigh it down and make it dirty.

I wouldn't relax it.

It doesn't really matter. It's up to you. If my hair is already clean (as in I washed it and let it air dry in plaits with no products within the past few days) when I get to him then I just let him braid it from there. If my hair needs to be washed he lightly blowdries it.

I like African Royale BRX Braid Spray. Anything that is not oily or greasy will work. DCing with each wash will also help to keep your hair soft.

I wash and DC once a week. You could go two if you want. I wash mine in the shower just like I do my own hair. I know some people here on the board say use an applicator bottle to get under there and all that but I really don't think that's necessary. I've never done it like that, none of the stylists who have ever washed my weave at the salon have done it like that and my hair is always clean and itch free. If you're not putting a bunch of products in the weave it shouldn't get that dirty anyway. I don't have time for a bunch of unnecessary steps.

ETA: Somebody asked about the net. It's not necessary but it can be helpful for people who have thinning hair or bald spots because tracks can be placed on the net where the person may not have hair. It allows for more tracks to be added and a fuller weave.

Some people also say it's less stress because it's being sewn to the net and not your hair. But you can also eliminate that stress by braiding straight back as opposed to across or the zig zag pattern. The weight of the tracks will be evenly distributed across with a little weight on each braid instead of being attached in the same direction and hanging from the braid itself. You could pull at the whole braid when trying to brush, comb or detangle.

Also if you use the net, you don't have to add the synthetic braiding hair to your hair. Some people have mentioned that they are allergic to the chemicals on the synthetic hair and want to wash it first and blah blah blah. I've never had that problem. As long as it is Kanekalon and not the regular cheapy synthetic it will be fine. And it'll be easier to take down with the net because once you get the net off for the most part the tracks will be attached to it and the whole thing will come off in once piece. Then you'll just have to unbraid your own hair. There won't be synthetic hair to unbraid and take out after you cut all the tracks out. It's also easier to take out vertical braids versus horizontal ones. When it's braided horizontal it's usually one giant braid. When you braid it straight back as opposed to across the weave lays flatter. So it's really up to you as far as what you deem as more convenient.

I've had it done both ways and personally I prefer it to be done without the net. But my current stylist uses it so I just let him do what he does. The only issue I have with the net is that I can't scratch or get to my scalp that well.

Excellent points glamazon! I think I can count on one hand the number of stylists that I know of who braid straight back. I wanted to ask how you are DCing the hair under a weave? For some reason I just can't grasp how this is done? Are you DCing with heat and how are you getting the condish on the braids?