POLL: Which is the best Flat Iron in your opinion

Which is the best Flat Iron in your opinion?

• Total voters
the sedu goes for about $200 and is on sale now if you buy it from folica.com. it is the sleekest, hottest, smoothest flat iron i've ever used. i have very thick Nautral 4a hair and rarely flat iron. the sedu gets me silky straight until my next wash. i was amazed.

Just purchased the SEDU too from Folica. Haven't used it yet because my hair is in braids, but I was heavily influenced by the great reviews the SEDU recieved compared to others like CHI and Jilberre.

Price: $108 dollars w/ free shipping. :)
size: 1.5

products: plan on using TIGI Catwalk Smooth and Shine and Elucence

I am considering the Sedu or the FHI Limited Edition Ionic Iron. I know the FHI Limited Edition Ionic Iron has 100% solid ceramic plates with a lifetime warranty. Can someone tell me more about the Sedu? Thank you.

I have the Sedu Ceramic 1". I paid $98 for it. I use Dudley's Creme Press with it and I get great results.

Ladies,

I have good news. I went to Sally Beauty Supply today and bought myself a flat iron. I am over the moon. Woooooohooooooohoooooooo......LOL

I wanted to buy the Farouk CHI turbo but that was way too expensive for my pocket right now. That flat iron had me salivating. Anyway, I was asking the lady in the store which one she has and she has several.

Anyway, she told me that they had a special on the RUSK ceramic str8 iron (no, it's not in my POLL because I knew nothing about it until today). Well this iron is now going for about 80% off the recommended selling price. The bargain of the century!!! This iron is $129.99 normally. I got a real bargain. I am over the freaking moon.:grin: :trampolin :bouncegre

It's a 1/2" iron (just perfect for my roots), ceramic, variable temperature control ranging from 140 degrees to 215 degrees. Here's a link I found online: http://www.metrobeauty.com/showitem.cfm?catnum=177&parentcatnum=0&itemnum=3082

I also bought ion anti frizz solutions heat protection straightening iron spray to protect my hair from heat damage. I also already had Tresemmé heat defence styling spray (natural hold). I will be using those two products when I flat iron my hair. I am so excited.:bdance: :dance7:

Anyway, I am saving up for the Farouk CHI Turbo. I'll probably get a 1" iron in the CHI. I have my eye on that iron now. So far, according to the POLL it seems that most members prefer the CHI.:)

PS: I'm also realising that there are many more flat irons. In fact I had lots of names but they couldn't all fit into the POLL (no more space) but there are some other good brands out there.

Thanks to everyone who has voted so far.:D

Last edited:
Well, based on Shalilac's stellar review, my cousin purchased the T3 Tourmaline wet/dry flatiron and my sister is on her way to Sephora tomorow to purchase one.

I'm interested in this, and I will post their results. My cousin has 3A(I think) relaxed hair and my sister wants to use her's on her daughters 3b natural hair.

LoriLOCX said:

Lorilocx, I took a look at that link you provided, those irons look very sleek and very reasonably priced.

vevster said:
Well, based on Shalilac's stellar review, my cousin purchased the T3 Tourmaline wet/dry flatiron and my sister is on her way to Sephora tomorow to purchase one.

I'm interested in this, and I will post their results. My cousin has 3A(I think) relaxed hair and my sister wants to use her's on her daughters 3b natural hair.

Vevster,

I'm glad that this thread was useful for you as well:D
There have been some really good reviews so far.

TigerLily said:
I'm glad you found a good deal, Bailey!! I hope it works out for you. The flat iron looks really nice!

Thanks Tiger:)

I think I have to now practice flat ironing the hair myself, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.:cool:

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Lorilocx, I took a look at that link you provided, those irons look very sleek and very reasonably priced.

Thanks BAILEYSCREAM....
This was a very good post...very informative. When you buy your CHI, please be sure to request the ORIGINAL only. The newer ones aren't the same quality.

BAILEYSCREAM said:
RUSK ceramic str8 iron...It's a 1/2" iron (just perfect for my roots), ceramic, variable temperature control ranging from 140 degrees to 215 degrees.
I got that flat iron after seeing atlantatiffany's reviews. Bought it on eBay for ~$60. I've used it once on my roots after rollersetting. The 1/2' plates are smooth, and I can manage them better than I could 1" or 2" plates. I won't even consider an upgrade to a wider iron. The plates are smooth with no snags. Can't complain. :)

Maxiglide gets my vote all the way I was truly impressed with this flat iron the best investment I could have ever made.
My hair turned out great and I only used a heat setting of 3 and my hair stayed straight for days.

I have the Hot Tools ceramic with the purple plates. It has the narrow edge and the curling side. I really love it. With the narrow edge I can get all the down to scalp without burning my self and with the curling side I can flip the ends up.

Tonight I plan on roller setting after my protein treatment. But I will be using my hot tools iron to smooth my roots.

I use H2O Pro I works so well it is ceramic and it heats up fast. my hair gets straight the first time around I don't even have to go back over it. I wouldn't anyway now because I trying not to use a lot of heat. I am not using any heat right now but when I do I use H2O Pro :grin:

ballet_bun how do you like the babyliss? How long can your hair stay straight for? how much did it cost you for this flat iron?

I would love to invest in a flat iron one day but, these choices are incredible and this will help me when I am ready to research more....

but I looked at CHI*s reviews on Folica and a few folks said it was great but Breaks??? is that true? anyone with that experience please share........ thanks.

I voted for Chi. I have a Chi Tourmaline Ultra - not the regular chi was is just Ceramic.

But for most of the ladies - the question seems to be 1) how hot does it get (all the popular irons - fhi's chi's solia's maxiglides) have high heat temperature control. Up to 400 degrees. and 2) is it ceramic. The Fhi's, Chi's and Maxiglides are ceramic. Maxiglide has an added bonus because it has steam burst and it has the little teeth to guide the hair (some like some don't). Chi depending on which one you get, Fhi and T3 are ceramic + tourmaline - tourmaline is a crushed metal that supposedly emits negative ions and conditions the hair.

My recommendations:
1. Get a ceramic iron. They emit negative ions so the water molecules are broken up instead of boiled. They control heat a lot better...they are smoother.
2. Find a good heat protectant. Ion, Nexxus, even Pantene makes a good heat protector.
3. Protect those ends baby. If you're flat iron alot, this is where your hair is going to break - so protect 'em.
4. Serums are your friend. Serum after you flat iron to give your hair some silicone vitamins.

If you can find an iron thats ceramic + tourmaline. I love my Chi. And I've used a FHI which I also love. If you're going to spend some oney, spend it on the flat iron because it'll be the thing most likely to damage your hair should you use it frequently. And don't be afraid to return 'em. I bought a BabyBliss - the thing was a piece of junk, I took it back and tried 2 others before I decided on the Chi. AND THE ONLY REASON was because they were sold out of FHI's at the place I went.

MsNadi said:
I voted for Chi. I have a Chi Tourmaline Ultra - not the regular chi was is just Ceramic.

But for most of the ladies - the question seems to be 1) how hot does it get (all the popular irons - fhi's chi's solia's maxiglides) have high heat temperature control. Up to 400 degrees. and 2) is it ceramic. The Fhi's, Chi's and Maxiglides are ceramic. Maxiglide has an added bonus because it has steam burst and it has the little teeth to guide the hair (some like some don't). Chi depending on which one you get, Fhi and T3 are ceramic + tourmaline - tourmaline is a crushed metal that supposedly emits negative ions and conditions the hair.

My recommendations:
1. Get a ceramic iron. They emit negative ions so the water molecules are broken up instead of boiled. They control heat a lot better...they are smoother.
2. Find a good heat protectant. Ion, Nexxus, even Pantene makes a good heat protector.
3. Protect those ends baby. If you're flat iron alot, this is where your hair is going to break - so protect 'em.
4. Serums are your friend. Serum after you flat iron to give your hair some silicone vitamins.

If you can find an iron thats ceramic + tourmaline. I love my Chi. And I've used a FHI which I also love. If you're going to spend some oney, spend it on the flat iron because it'll be the thing most likely to damage your hair should you use it frequently. And don't be afraid to return 'em. I bought a BabyBliss - the thing was a piece of junk, I took it back and tried 2 others before I decided on the Chi. AND THE ONLY REASON was because they were sold out of FHI's at the place I went.

nice post MsNadi. You are right about spending money on a good iron. I used use a "ceramic" iron that I bought from Target fro $20. It actually was a coated one - Nothing like the FHI that I eventually invested in. BIG DIFFERENCE!

I'm just thinking - we all know heat can damage your hair, but is good for those times when you wanna be cute, but an updo isn't gonna cut it.

Why try and save money on the ONE THING (flat irons, curling irons, blow dryer) that you know can cause the most damage?

I'm thinking about getting a ceramic curling iron - even though I don't curl my hair much. T3, Babyliss and Chi all make them.

The best flat iron is FHI. I paid $91 for it (1/2 price from a discount website) and it's 1.25 inches. It has variable heat settings - up to 450 degrees and it doesn't snag my hair at all. People give me so many compliments on my hair when I use this. I've tried CHI, Babyliss, Jibere (sp?), and Hot Tools. Also, the tourmaline flat irons made my hair look like trash! However, I'll only be using it occassionally from now on since I'm trying to hit bra strap length by Sept. I think I can manage that :look: .

P.S. I use Aveda Universal styling creme and follow up with a little Tui oil when I'm done and when I want my hair to be exceptionally straight, I'll use Redken Heatglide.

I agrre with Khalia27, the top flat iron out there right now is the FHI. Hands down this one is the best. I had a Gold N Hot before and it doesn't even compare to my new FHI 207. I can flat iron my hair in half the time now! I got mine from www.folica.com for $89.

Back