Poll: kind of hair grease your grandma swore by?

keylargo

My grandmother had long beatiful hair that was probably 3a type. She only used ultra sheen hair grease that was green in the small jar. Her hair just soaked it up. She loved to grease her scalp with it too. She also talked about using glovers as a child. She called it "glovers mange".

The only chemicals she used was clairol hair dye in dark brown. She was a firm believer in a hot comb and rollers.

They say grandmothers know best. I bet it will be interesting to see what stories you ladies have to share.

That is interesting. My grandmothers' chemical free hair was- and still is down her back. She uses BLUEMAGIC hair grease(yikes)!!! Of which I could never use-it is waaay too heavy for my hair.

Mine made her own with sheep fat (I have no idea how and where she got it from!), Sulfer 8, dogbane (it's some of plant) and pine tar and who knows what else! That stuff smelled like nothing you've ever smelled before!
By the mid 1980's she had started buying Dax, Blue Magic and Royal Crown.
She had hair down to the middle of her back. Greasy, but very long! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My Grandma used coconut oil that she made herself by "boiling down" gratered coconut until she could skim off the oil. On occasion she used the authentic smelly west indian castor oil also.

My maternal grandmother loved Dixie Peach. /images/graemlins/smile.gif She used to send for it when her children came home from the US.

I knew I would get some interesting replies. My mom actually used royal crown on my sisters and me for many years- and she pressed my hair. When I was old enough to get a relaxer, the royal crown just did not do the trick anymore.

Re: Poll: kind of hair grease your grandma swore b

We used Dax on the thick heads and Ultra Sheen on the thin hair and we all had a press and curl on Saturday night!

Aaaahhhh... The good old days /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have no idea what my grandmother used but she had beautiful hair and so does my mother and her sisters but it stopped in that generation! My mother always used Royal Crown and we used NuNile to smooth down the edges. And then she'd try to relax it with that foul-smelling Vigorol. Oh thank God times have changed! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
keylargo said:
My grandmother had long beatiful hair that was probably 3a type. She only used ultra sheen hair grease that was green in the small jar. Her hair just soaked it up. She loved to grease her scalp with it too. She also talked about using glovers as a child. She called it "glovers mange".

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like some of these grandmothers actually managed to grow long hair despite greasing their scalp with pore clogging grease. a case of what works for some may not work for others or are we wasting our time here?? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sounds like some of these grandmothers actually managed to grow long hair despite greasing their scalp with pore clogging grease. a case of what works for some may not work for others or are we wasting our time here??

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. In all honesty, my natural, pressed and curled, greased up hair was longer and in better shape than my relaxed hair and the wild mixture of the stuff I've got on my head right now.
I'm no chemist--I don't know about clogged follicles or anything like that. But I do know that I hate greasy looking hair. And hair that takes forever to shampoo. And greasy collars and pillowcases. And living in fear of someone touching my hair. You get the picture. /images/graemlins/grin.gif For those reasons alone, I'll glady leave that jar of Dax right on the shelf!

I ordered the Sheep Sorrel Ointment and the Hair Rejuvenator from crsecrets.com (the woman that was featured in a recent issue of Essence). I've only used them for a few days but I really like them. Here's the kicker: They look and feel like light hair greases to me. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif She uses beeswax instead of petrolatum and mineral oil. And it's the last ingredient.
Maybe grandma was right...

PS--I had never heard of Dixie Peach until this thread. I did a web search to see what it looked like and discovered that along with Royal Crown it was Elvis Presley's favorite hair grease! LOL

My grandmother didn't use grease on my mother's hair but used to use Crisco to press it. Can you believe it...Crisco? I'm surprised my mother's hair didn't catch on fire. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My grandmother didn't use grease on my mother's hair but used to use Crisco to press it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crisco? LOL!! Wow, I guess crisco can be used for a lot of things! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have heard about ppl using cirsco but I never done it. I do not know what my grandmother swore by I will have to call her and ask her.

my granny had relaxed hair and used blue magic, everynight!...her hair was down her back...easily MBL!

My grandmother loved Olive Oil for our hair....even when we had babies...she had us use olive oil on their skin and hair....instead of perfumed baby lotions...

I remember Horsemane. I don't know what that is exactly. But she use to mix that in some grease. I think the grease was Royal Crown. It has a silver top and red and green container. I think it was made out of paper/cardboard too. LOL!

royal-crown.jpg

She always kept her hair in a bun. I think she felt as she got older she should be more modest with her hair style, because my mom talks about my grandma always wearing her hair pressed and out.

Last edited:
We always used Royal Crown or Ultra Sheen when I was growing up (getting my hair pressed and ears burned). :burning:

It is interesting how our grandmas had hair down her back (my aunt has a picture of my grandmother as a young woman with a super thick braid across her forehead; she told me that what you couldn't see in the picture is that the rest of the braid went down her back) and used all the petroleum based products, but my guess is is that they pressed their hair occasionally or not at all, had majorly low manipulation (buns, etc), and obviously didn't use flat or curling irons much.

My maternal grandmother used castor oil or Dax. But she didn't apply it to her scalp, she would rub it in her palms and smooth it over her hair.

My paternal great grandmother made her own grease. I never did get the recipe. :(

Both women never pressed or relaxed their hair. They had hair in the 2s, no kink, more slight waves and curls.

So I don't even know that their hair methods would work on my head. :ohwell:

LOL @ Crisco. My grandmother used TCB....OT, but my great aunt who was severly over weight used to make my older cousins grease her legs with crisco....They are still traumatized :lachen:

My grandmother used dax with olive oil, cod liver oil, castor oil, AND vaseline.

She was not playing.:nono:

I never liked grease even as a little girl.

My grandmother loved Olive Oil for our hair....even when we had babies...she had us use olive oil on their skin and hair....instead of perfumed baby lotions...

Smart grandma, your grandma was :grin:

You all are bumping some old threads, I tell ya! :)

My dad loved "Blue Magic" :lol:

Back