PJ's: Do you finish most of your products?

LOL, this thread is funny. Almost like rehab for us PJ's. But I knew it was getting bad when DH would find something new everyday and ask: "where did this come from?" I would just laugh and say, "i bought this the last time, remember?" But since we have our own bathrooms, i stash everything under the sink. But, hmm, the stuff i want to get rid of, i just combine a lot of that crap and use it as a prepoo. but i cant say don't buy anything else unless u finish your old stuff, because you can be missing out on what's best for your hair. Like Jahzyira said, being a PJ saved her hair. But these ladies have said a lot of great things to do with your old stuff. If i don't like it after three attempts, its on to buy something else.

I combine them. I also make my own leave in that I will put oil, conditioner, glycerin and water in. So if the conditioner is not all that, I put it in the leave in "soup". That's where I put all of my "just ok" stuff. I keep it in a spray bottle and just keep adding to it as I use it so it ends up with a little of everything in it.

Also I stop allowing myself to "stock up". That why the store stocks it, so I don't have too!

That is such a good idea. I should make a leave-in soup!
I think the stock up thing is cute, Imma have to borrow that one from time to time.

I use bad conditioners to shave, I actually like it better then shaving cream. I use shampoos to clean my products. The other stuff I left my lil cousin use in her dolls hair.

I see a lot of people use conditioners to shave. Thanks to wax and Nair, I don't shave anything anymore.

I am a PJ that never finishes a product. I don't even come close. My friends and family have caught on that I am a free BSS. So every month I am called with a new hair problem followed by a quick stop by my house for a product to solve the problem. I exchange the products for free babysitting of my three year old.

*high five* My PJ sista! I've done this once with my friends. They left my house with all types of stuff. Hair, makeup, bath & body. They know where the good stuff is.

I've always used conditioner as a shave cream, shampoos to clean my scarves and bonnets, combs and brushes, and oddly enough, for surface cleaning my bath tub right after doing my hair. It keeps the tub from being slippery and I don't have to pull out the harsh cleaning supplies when I'm in a hurry.

I never thought of using it to clean the tub. What do you do? Squirt bad shampoo on the tub floor then swish it around with your foot? Or a towel? The visual is funny, but I'm really interested.

I have been revisiting products that I hardly used and if they don't make it the second time around I've been giving them away to my niece or throwing them away if they were just awful. Products that are okay I try to mix with other products.

That's what I'm going to try to do, give products a second chance and toss immediately if they suck again. Since I've been on the board I've learned a lot about how to properly use products, so it may have been my naivete' the first time around.

For the most part I end up throwing stuff away:nono:
I really do not like to waste anything, but sometimes I get really excited by another product and I become anxious to try it. Because I don't like keeping too many products in my closet, I end up throwing away the older products. I should really be ashamed of myself. Sometimes I mix things up, but then I end up creating something that does not work:ohwell:
I really need to just use things up before I buy anything.

*high five* yet another PJ sista!

HATE TO SAY IT BUT NO.ONLY THE ONES I REALLY LOVE BUT I WONT BUY THEM AGAIN I AM GOING TO REHAB YOU WANT COME TOO LOL

:blush: Who needs rehab? Me? Not me! I don't have a problem. I have my addiction under control! I can quit when I wanna. I can! No! NO! You'll never take me, coppah! YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME!!!!

I have made a vow to not buy any more products until I finish what I have. Products that I no longer use I use them on my daughters hair.

:notworthy I bow down and respect your courage and strength of will to make such a vow.

I have a lot of products that I haven't used up. Usually, I'll give things I don't want to my mom. Otherwise, I hold on to it and be sure to use it here and there. At this point, I'm getting so sick of all of these products, so I'm trying my hardest to use them up... EVERYTHING! I'm on a mission. I want to clean myself out!!!

:notworthy You too! I respect a good mission.

I tend to combine a lot of stuff. Like my oils that I really don't like, I mix w/ condish and do oil rinses. Poos, I use to shave. And other products I use to pre-poo my hair.

Pre-poo. Hm, I've been considering starting to pre-poo. The way I see it, it will allow me to put as much gook in my hair as I want and then just wash it out.

I'm a PJ. But I did stop buying cosmetics, lotions, bath & body works stuff etc. - I've replaced those with hair products. So the other collections have come to a screeching halt. :)

I'll use the some of the poos & cond. put the other stuff (oils, leave-ins, rollers) I give to my sis (texlaxed) & mom (pressed) or one of my less fortunate co-workers. She's got 3-4 diff textures (naturals & relaxed) in her household. If it doesn't work for my relaxed head I hope it will works for one of them.

Heh, you're like me. You've traded one addiction for another. Did I mention I'm also collecting moisturizers trying to find the perfect one?

And I'm sorry if this is out of line, but the thought of our coworkers being less fortunate because of all those different textures in her household is hilarious to me. I just picture a bunch of kids running around with different colored hair and different styles. Sorta like what the Jolie/Pitt household must be like. LOL

I am able to finish all my products now before buying more,cuzz i finally figured out what my hair likes and dont like,so it is much more easier for me now,but before it was a whole nother story straight pj.

Yeah, that's where I am now. I've decided that ORS Replenishing is my perfect conditioner, but now I have to decide what to do with the 8 that I bought before I found it.

^^See, my problem is that even though I know what works, I still buy stuff. It's a serious disease. I've slowed WAY down since I ordered my 2 41 oz jars of conditioner from Hairveda so I haven't really wanted to buy too many more things. Except for my other products when her store re-opens, and some other goodies. After that, I'm done til around June of next year (hopefully). Yea, it's that deep over here :ohwell:.

Me too! I can be running around telling folks about a wonderful product (have I mentioned ORS Replenishing?) and with the other hand buying new products to try out. Girl....June of next year? Once again, :notworthy , I know a better woman than me when I see one.

I can honestly say being a product junkie saved the life of my hair! It jus so happened all the products i buy my hair loves. I got liters of conditioners, a gallon of amla oil, etc. and since im a pj newbie i def plan to add to the list! guess i wont learn till i have no more room to store stuff:lachen:

Liters?? Gallons?? *passing out*

LOL, this thread is funny. Almost like rehab for us PJ's. But I knew it was getting bad when DH would find something new everyday and ask: "where did this come from?" I would just laugh and say, "i bought this the last time, remember?" But since we have our own bathrooms, i stash everything under the sink. But, hmm, the stuff i want to get rid of, i just combine a lot of that crap and use it as a prepoo. but i cant say don't buy anything else unless u finish your old stuff, because you can be missing out on what's best for your hair. Like Jahzyira said, being a PJ saved her hair. But these ladies have said a lot of great things to do with your old stuff. If i don't like it after three attempts, its on to buy something else.

My DH hasn't started asking questions quite yet but I know its coming. I rollerset my hair for the first time yesterday and he was in awe at allllll the rollers. We also have seperate bathrooms, but his closet is bigger so I store all my stuff in there. The key is that we keep seperate MONEY! After the bill money goes into our joint account, everything else is our own to manage. I don't ask him what he spent money on and vice versa. That way he won't see the 3 debits for the BSS and the $70 trip to Rite-aid. And the $80 I spent at the tequila bar on Girls Night Out!

Currently I'm in PJ rehab, I've whittled down my stash to staple products that I routinely use. However when I don't want something anymore or I'm like, "Why the heck did I buy this?" :huh: I find creative ways to get rid of stuff.

I give it to family or to a local women's shelter.
Partially used shampoo I re-purpose into liquid hand soap, shower gel, cleaner for the sink and shower and makeup brush cleanser.
Conditioner becomes a pre-poo/DC, shave cream or in-shower body lotion.
Leave-ins can also be mixed into pre-poo concoctions too.

Since joining LHCF I've become a true PJ. If someone mentions it, I'm buying it. The BSS lady looks at me every 3 days and sucks her teeth. I'm thinking "shut up ***** and take my money!" :rolleyes:

:lol:

I am forcing myself to finish everything I have, but not before I buy more; I tried that and it didn't work, lol. I use other stuff when I'm running low on staples to ensure that I still have some of my staple products left before I re-stock. For instance, I'm running low on Humecto right now, so I'll use some of the other conditioners I have for cw's until I can buy more Humecto before I run out of it. I don't feel right without at least one bottle, jar, or tub of all of my staple products around, lol. I try not to let anything go to waste now.

Last edited:
I guess luckily for me i have two daughters so we go through the products that i don't like. One is relaxed and the other is natural so we just use it up with whomever hair responds the best to the products.

I made a point to use up all of my products after I move a few months ago and I was able to get down to the bare minimun but that didnt last long. Dont ask me what my closet looks like now. I try to use up everything one way or another and I have learned to toss things when necessary.

I use shampoos I dont like as bodywash or bubble bath or I refill the handsoap containers in the bathroom with them. You'll be suprised how soft some shampoos make your skin feel.

I'm a recovering PJ and my answer is no. I end up giving or throwing away a lot of stuff. I always return to using my favorite products after using a new product once or twice. I think that is what actually cured me of my PJism.

I never thought of using it to clean the tub. What do you do? Squirt bad shampoo on the tub floor then swish it around with your foot? Or a towel? The visual is funny, but I'm really interested.

:lachen:Naw, I don't swish it w/my foot! I squirt the shampoo into the tub (once I step out :rolleyes:) then use a cleaning brush to clean it out. Swishing my foot in the shampoo...:lachen:

Currently I'm in PJ rehab, I've whittled down my stash to staple products that I routinely use. However when I don't want something anymore or I'm like, "Why the heck did I buy this?" :huh: I find creative ways to get rid of stuff.

I give it to family or to a local women's shelter.
Partially used shampoo I re-purpose into liquid hand soap, shower gel, cleaner for the sink and shower and makeup brush cleanser.
Conditioner becomes a pre-poo/DC, shave cream or in-shower body lotion.
Leave-ins can also be mixed into pre-poo concoctions too.

This is a good idea and good ways to use up products.
I am definitely not a PJ these days, I only buy products that are staples or discontinued when they are on sale I stock up.

I'm a PJ. But I did stop buying cosmetics, lotions, bath & body works stuff etc. - I've replaced those with hair products. So the other collections have come to a screeching halt. :)

I'll use the some of the poos & cond. put the other stuff (oils, leave-ins, rollers) I give to my sis (texlaxed) & mom (pressed) or one of my less fortunate co-workers. She's got 3-4 diff textures (naturals & relaxed) in her household. If it doesn't work for my relaxed head I hope it will works for one of them.

cosmetics, lotions, bath & body works stuff etc.

I've had problems with all of the above.

:lachen:Naw, I don't swish it w/my foot! I squirt the shampoo into the tub (once I step out :rolleyes:) then use a cleaning brush to clean it out. Swishing my foot in the shampoo...:lachen:

Giiiiirl, since my tub is huge and stark white I've been looking for a no-scrub bathtub cleaner for months. I was excited! Thought you had given me the key to happiness. But a cleaning brush? That's like....um...what's the word?....Work! I'm not really interested in the hard labor. :grin:

Back