Pincurl Method

SouthernGirl

Hello all!
Just wondering if any of you out there use this method? My grandmother actually showed me how to do it. Here's my process:

After washing, applying Surge and a bit of Salerm 21, and partially air-drying, I create about 12 pin curls (which actually look more like loose Bantu knots). I let them dry for a few hours (or overnight) and take down. Since my 4a relaxed hair is bone straight, it gives me really nice curls with no heat when I want a break from the bun!

Just wondering if ya'll have tried this great method. It's a great alternative to roller-setting using a hooded dryer.
Thanks,
SG

This is a great idea and it looks beautiful!
smile.gif
Thanks for suggesting (thanks to grandma, too!). I am on the bun challenge, but when done, I will try this.

My mother used to pin curl all of the time. Her hair was marvelous!

However, I never really got the hang of it, and my poor pin curls looked awful. I finally quit trying -- just like I never could get the hang of pressing my hair. There is definitely a knack to it!

SG, I was wondering if u use anything special on your hair for shine? it looks nice and shiny...

[ QUOTE ]
SouthernGirl said:
Hello all!
Just wondering if any of you out there use this method? My grandmother actually showed me how to do it. Here's my process:

After washing, applying Surge and a bit of Salerm 21, and partially air-drying, I create about 12 pin curls (which actually look more like loose Bantu knots). I let them dry for a few hours (or overnight) and take down. Since my 4a relaxed hair is bone straight, it gives me really nice curls with no heat when I want a break from the bun!

Just wondering if ya'll have tried this great method. It's a great alternative to roller-setting using a hooded dryer.
Thanks,
SG

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks great.
up.gif

I do bantu knots from time-to-time. I agree. It is a great alternative to roller setting.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
southerngirl, your hair is gorgeous and so are u!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Leslie!!

So are you. I love your bun and CONGRATS ON ALL THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!!
clap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
SG, I was wondering if u use anything special on your hair for shine? it looks nice and shiny...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Leslie!! I just use Wild Growth Oil when wearing a protective style. When it's flat-ironed, nothing but Surge. I have a bit of shine even when I don't apply Surge. I really think it's the shampoo/conditioner- either that or the vitamins I take (HF37). When I do the pin curls it's Salerm 21.

[ QUOTE ]
AshCash said:
Wow SG... I've never seen your pics before.. you and your hair are beautiful
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks AshCash- that's funny but that's what I call my little cousin Ashley
smile.gif

I'm pretty new to the forum so I have to catch up to all of you!

[ QUOTE ]
AshCash said:
Wow SG... I've never seen your pics before.. you and your hair are beautiful
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked at your site- You're gorgeous and your hair is too!!!!!!!!!

Not really- the knots don't have to be perfect. I just make a section, twist it (loosely), then wrap it around into a loose bantu knot and secure with one of those open bobby pins. I don't use any setting lotion, just partially damp hair and a little Salerm 21 (any leave-in will probably do).
Then voila! After a few hours I take down.
Give it a try! If I can get more space on Fotki I'll post pics of how I do it.

Would this work on texturized hair? My hair is still very curly when wet and it frizzes easily.

I think it would! Just be sure to use some type of anti-frizz serum on your hair before twisting the knots. I hear John Freida makes a nice one.

BTW, I just posted the step-by-step instructions!

I just looked at your photos. Your pin curl technique is different than my mother's.

You twist your hair, kind of like a bantu knot. My mom would make flat curls and pin them in an x pattern with bobby pins.

Both techniques are good, but create different effects.

[ QUOTE ]
LEOLADYSW said:
I just looked at your photos. Your pin curl technique is different than my mother's.

You twist your hair, kind of like a bantu knot. My mom would make flat curls and pin them in an x pattern with bobby pins.
Both techniques are good, but create different effects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Leolady,

I tried doing it the way your mom does it when I first started out, but my curls always ended up too flat and they didn't come out in a "S" pattern. I do agree that both techniques are good, I just prefer the "bantu-like" knots.

SG

Well, you did better than I did. I couldn't make my hair do anything with the flat technique. All those years watching mom for nothing! And her hair wasn't flat when she finished.
confused.gif

By the way, I didn't tell you that you and your hair is gorgeous did I. I meant to.
grin.gif

wow southern girl, youve got the board hooked on bantu knots and pin curls with your pictures and all those hits on your album! they look great btw, i need to try this
smile.gif

Oh my gosh guys, that's so cool!!! I'm glad it was such a big hit
smile.gif
. It's fun trading secrets!!

Oh- and thanks LadyLeo
kiss.gif

Luv ya'll,

SG

Back