pH of hair products

daviine

I'm not sure if this has been posted already but I couldn't find a thread. Please direct me to the thread if I missed it.

I tried unsuccessfully to make kimmaytube's leave-in recipe and I'm not really interested in trying again and leaving it in the fridge. I would like to see if pH makes a difference in how my hair feels.

I know that some products (Keracare, Joico) come with the pH listed already and I know that some members have pH strips and have tested their products. I think that this might help others looking to make their own mixtures or looking for a certain pH.

Can you share the pH of your products?

The only product that i have that states it's pH is Elasta QP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair. The bottle says the pH is 4.5.-5.5.

Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (sulfate free) pH 6.0
Keracare Humecto Creme Conditioner pH 4.5

I'm not sure if this has been posted already but I couldn't find a thread. Please direct me to the thread if I missed it.

I tried unsuccessfully to make kimmaytube's leave-in recipe and I'm not really interested in trying again and leaving it in the fridge. I would like to see if pH makes a difference in how my hair feels.

I know that some products (Keracare, Joico) come with the pH listed already and I know that some members have pH strips and have tested their products. I think that this might help others looking to make their own mixtures or looking for a certain pH.

Can you share the pH of your products?

a word of advice about the kimmaytube leave in. my hair didn't like the original recipe either. i substituted different oils until i found a mix i liked. i like hot six oil, castor oil and olive oil in mine instead of jojoba oil. also, I make small batches. a 1/4 cup to 3 ounces or so at a time. I NEVER REFRIGERATE IT. i made some a couple of weeks ago and took it on vacation with me. it wasn't in the fridge the whole time. HTH

havilland said:
a word of advice about the kimmaytube leave in. my hair didn't like the original recipe either. i substituted different oils until i found a mix i liked. i like hot six oil, castor oil and olive oil in mine instead of jojoba oil. also, I make small batches. a 1/4 cup to 3 ounces or so at a time. I NEVER REFRIGERATE IT. i made some a couple of weeks ago and took it on vacation with me. it wasn't in the fridge the whole time. HTH

havilland I made a small batch also. I used AVG instead of AVJ. I substituted apricot oil for jojoba because in the past jojoba has made me itch. I got these slimy white balls that I attribute to the AVG. I used Lily of the Desert because it already had a preservative.

I make my own shampoo using Aloe Vera juice, Castile soap, and eo....the ph is normally about 5.5-6.5. Most of the products I use are Joico and Keracare, using ph balance products in my hair keeps it from tangling and matting.

Back