Paging Tracy--"Color" question

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Paging Tracy--\"Color\" question

I know this may be a dumb dumb question
but is it necessary to use gloves if I am applying a clear rinse such as Sebastian Cellophane clear or Jazzings clear? Thanks.

Tracy

Re: Paging Tracy--\"Color\" question

Yes M'ija...

You COULD do it minus gloves if there's no color, but I wouldn't.

There are polymers in the formula that you really don't want under the nails and on the skin like that. It's fine on the scalp for a few minutes, but it'd be all up under yer nails and stuff....I just wouldnt.

What I have done (dude, this is ghetto and embarassing
) is tied plastic grocery store bags around my hands when I was applying clear color if I didn't have gloves on hand. :O

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

[ QUOTE ]
What I have done (dude, this is ghetto and embarassing ) is tied plastic grocery store bags around my hands when I was applying clear color if I didn't have gloves on hand. :O

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, now that's the African American Way!

Thanks--See I felt dumb for asking since it didn't really have any pigment in it, but I thought it might be a substance that could stick to my hands! 'ppreciate ya!

Tracy

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, now that's the African American Way!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gurl you are a TRIP!

Good Luck! Are we doing Adore or Colorshines today?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

I have one more question since you mentioned Adore. Does Adore come in clear? You ladies have spoken very highly of adore and I would love to try it.

AND--is conditioner still effective on hair that has a rinse on it or does the rinse keep the conditioner out?

I have Colourshines under the cabinet, so I'm sure that's what I'll be doing.

Tracy

Sure does. I have about 25 (literally) bottles in my arsenal because it's harder to find than the browns and reds. When you find it (and you will - it's not impossible, just harder to locate) def. pick up two or three. The bottles are smaller then the Sebastian. It's a little easier to apply too!

It doesn't keep the conditioner OUT, no. It just penetrates better after a wash or two (but not by much I can assure you). BUT if you condition well BEFORE the "color", it also keeps THAT conditioner IN as much as it'd keep it out during those first days (or washes if you will) after it's applied.

It's not major tho on either front. What makes rinses benefocial mostly is their PH - they are very low and they seal your cuticle much like an acidifier would. Adore also contains a fair amount of protein and so has some strengthening "umph" as well. It's nothing to worry about at all unless your hair tweaks. Most people's don't.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Thanks again...

and I feel myself losing the PJ battle for some Clear Adore

<--PJitis

EmeraldSky

Tracy, oops I mean color guru

Which do you prefer and why, the adore clear or sebastian's clear cellophane?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

@ Tracy:

I looooooved the way Adore Crystal Clear gave my relaxed hair an almost blinding shine (I had it done in a salon). I tried it at home recently on my (mostly) natural hair and I didn't notice a difference. Should I leave it on longer (I sat under the dryer for 20 minutes) or am I looking for a result that just isn't going to happen?

Tracy

I'm not so sure Sassy (sowwy fer missin' yer question by the way
) ....

Can you tell me what (if anything) is different about your hair now than when it was done in the salon? Was your hair realxed then? Darker than it is now...?

Any changes at all to your hair between when you had it done at the salon and when you tried it at home?

That'll help me answer you better...tell me everything...

Tracy

ES (sorry to you too) - I can't really say I prefer one over the other per se.

I like the fact that Sebastian gives MY h air a gleamy gleamy shine. Like none other. It's primary ingredient is silicone and I think the grade and concentration of silicone is higher than Adore - hence the better shine.

I like Adore because it's easier to apply, and it has protein (which Sebastian doesn't have much, if any, of) which adds some strength to the hair along with the shine. It does have silicone as well - but is has QUITE a bit of protein as well. So in short, Adore is good because it has a little more substance.

The home application of Adore vs. Sebastian is like night and day though. Adore wins the "ease of home application" race. Hands down.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

My hair was relaxed at the time. With no-lye if that makes a dif... It wasn't colored, but the relaxer chemicals and the sun had lightened it to a med. brown color.

My hair is 10x kinkier and 10x stronger than it was back then!
I also use neutral Hennalucent once a month. I would color it with Hennalucent, but it's soooo messy.

Tracy

That;s the trouble then Sassy....

A straight surface naturally reflects light better - clear rinse or no clear rinse. So even with a clear rinse, your hair is going to reflect less light. So you get your gorgeous curls...but the light has trouble bending around all the curves and reflecting that shine you're looking for. My hair doesn't shine nearly as much when I wear it curly as it's does when it's blown out.

Not only that but minus the relaxer, your cuticle is probably a little harder to infiltrate - even just to "stain" it with the clear.....that's a good thing, but it means you "suffer" just a little on the shine tip as far as the rinses go. They just can't "get at" your cuticle the same as when it's been broken down a little by a relaxer.

Tracy

Awwwwww....

Don't cwwwyyyy!

Doesn't Henna and/or Hennalucent come in a clear? If you didn't want the mess but you get the shine you want from it I don't see why this couldn't be a good subsitute....

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

I use neutral Hennalucent. It makes my hair feel stronger, but I don't get a lot of shine. I guess I was just expecting my natural hair to have the same bling bling as my straight hair.

Bring on the shine enhancers and silicone serums!