Paging all the fine haired girls......

vevster

I'm torn between cutting my hair blunt or long layers. Which do you think is better? I like the blunt cause it is more hair....

BronxDiva

Long layers didn't work for me, it took forever to get rid of the v shape my hair formed in the back. I would go with the blunt cut for the same reason you stated.

pooh123

Blunt cut all the way !!! That's what I have now. I would never get layers again. They take way too long to grow out.

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think a blunt cut is best for us fine-haired girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. Layers are such a pain to grow out.

Armyqt

I would go with the blunt cut too. It's looks much nicer when you're trying to put your hair in a ponytail. the only thing with a blunt cut is if you want want to keep the blunt look, you'll have to trim more to keep it even.

Faith

I have fine hair and it looks thinner since it insists in growing in, in layers (naturally). My aim is to grow it to lower back and even it out as much as I can. I think blunt or u-shaped may be the way to go.
Edited to say: so grow it to the length you want then start evening it. Otherwise it will take more time to get to your goal if you're continously trimming it to even it out.

G

I'm going to have to go against the grain and say that long layers suited my hair best. I think that a blunt cut is going to make fine hair look to thin and weighed down. Layers, however were best for making my hair look thick and bouncy
They are a pain to grow out, if you're growing out layers. But there's no rule that says you can't keep getting them trimmed. There's no rule that says you can't have layered waistlength or beyond hair. Am I right?

Actually I agree with Caramela on this one. Yes, they are a pain to grow out IF you see yourself growing them out but I actually liked when I had mine put in. I've left them now to grow out but I do like them and would put them back in properly if I found a fantastic stylist who understood the look I want.

I just find when done correct (the key) it gives shape and body.

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
vevster said:
I'm torn between cutting my hair blunt or long layers. Which do you think is better? I like the blunt cause it is more hair....

[/ QUOTE ]
Blunt cut all the way! I have one layer left then I am free!
I'll never get layers again. The times in my life when my hair was it's thickest and frizz was easier to manage was when I had a blunt cut. Layers means frizzy ends for me.
And they are a major pain to grow out!

C

Cami

I must say that if your goal is to grow your hair very long, go with the blunt cut. I had layers last year and decided to get a blunt cut cause I kept getting a V shape in the back to grow it out. It was a tough choice, but it grew back evenly now.

Hairyette

I totally agree w/the blunt cut(if your goal is to grow out).....united, they are stronger...divided, they tend to withstand less...

"They" being your hair strands......

Tracy

Blunt cut hair gets my vote as a fine haired...

I really believe that the visual spaces layers create in the surface of the hair when people look at it contributes to a thinner look on fine haireds. In my experience, layered ends also don't have the benefit of their brothers and sisters (other hair of the same length) cushioning them against manual damage and daily wear and tear. On already fragile fine hairs, this can mean the difference between a broken hair and one that stays intact...

And when you are growing your hair long and are going for a healthy look every hair counts...

My 2 cents...

HTH!

Faith

I was a the dentist's this morning and I read in the May 2002 Flair Magazine that fine haired ladies should <font color="red">"avoid blunt cuts because it inhibits movement and minimizes volume".</font> I wonder how true this is.

ComfortablyNumb

Well, as someone with really fine hair, when my hair was in layers, my longest layer looked sickly because it didn't have any other hair to back it up. I am still trying to grow my hair back to even. Every layer that I got rid of made my hair look thicker and better. If ever I get layers again, they will be a few in the front to frame my face which I already have naturally right now because I am growing out my bangs.

Honey01

I think layers are good for creating movement and volume. But they are definitely a pain to grow which is what I am doing now.

Kaela

The only time I had my hair cut in layers (I'm fine-haired) and that it worked, was one the layers were only in the front and through the very top/crown. This actually looked really nice, but the next time the stylist got scissor happy and I too was stuck with that nasty thin bottom layer. I couldn't have been more angry, and it took FOREVER to grow out

sweetcocoa

I know what you mean...in my recent pics you'll see the one layer I have left(grrr..). I get the urge to chop it all off at shoulder length...but then I would loose what I gained...once that top layer hits my bra then I'm gonna chop it off and even it up at that length. Then head for the waist...

Cherrie

Faith,

Thanks for showing pics in your album. I JUST joined the forum and am growing out my relaxer. I have about 1/2" of natural hair and would like to grow it out as long as possible.

I printed out your pic about how you started 4 years ago with 1/2" of natural hair and that picture will be my inspiration.

DDHair

Fine hair runs in my family and I think I have the thickest of the fine hair. When my hair is in it's natual state it appears a little coarser, but when straightened it is obviously fine. I think perms broke me down.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
From longhair.org

The "Blunt Cut" refers to the method of trimming the hair in a straight line across the bottom of the hair with scissors. It results in all the hair strands ending at the same level. As such, it makes hair look its thickest. A blunt cut can be straight across, rounded (shorter at the sides), trimmed to a point in the middle of the back, or (as in a bob) shorter at the middle back and longer at the front.

Leshia

I have layers upon layers upon layers....I don't know that they ever plan on leaving me...*SIGHS* I'm sure a blunt cut would make me appear thicker..if only.

lilchanel

[ QUOTE ]
pebbles said:
[ QUOTE ]
I think a blunt cut is best for us fine-haired girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. Layers are such a pain to grow out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...I am still growing my layered cut out!!
It makes my hair look even finer..

MoezThunder

[ QUOTE ]
I was a the dentist's this morning and I read in the May 2002 Flair Magazine that fine haired ladies should "avoid blunt cuts because it inhibits movement and minimizes volume". I wonder how true this is.

[/ QUOTE ]
i love layers! i'll probably let the ones i have now grow out till i reach my goal length....then back to long layers i go! shortest layer will be grazing my collarbone. LONG LIVE THE LAYERS! they gave me instant fullness and body.

L.Mo.

[ QUOTE ]
MoezThunder said:
[ QUOTE ]
I was a the dentist's this morning and I read in the May 2002 Flair Magazine that fine haired ladies should "avoid blunt cuts because it inhibits movement and minimizes volume". I wonder how true this is.

[/ QUOTE ]
i love layers! i'll probably let the ones i have now grow out till i reach my goal length....then back to long layers i go! shortest layer will be grazing my collarbone. LONG LIVE THE LAYERS! they gave me instant fullness and body.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Mine won't be as dramatic next time, but I love the bounce. My face is too full for a blunt cut. Then I'm "all face". It might depend on the shape of your face.