OIL OR CONDITIONER PRE-POO TREATMENT

scarcity21

From reading some of the old posts on pre-poo treatments, i noticed

that some ladies use conditioners while others use some kind of oil

left on their hair usually covered with a processing cap for long

periods of time (overnight?) 1.) What is the purpose of the pre-poo

treatment 2.) What is the difference between using conditioner as

a pre-poo treatment versus using oil?

I don't know if this is all in my head or what, but when I pre-poo with oil my dye seems to fade (I'm Bigen Oriental Black). Also, when I pre-poo with conditioner, my hair comes out stronger and more moisturized. Oil doesn't "condition" my hair like conditioner does. And I only use oil to seal in moisture... I'm sure one these wise ones will have more info, though :) !!

Pre-poos are good at provided extra moisture to the hair to help guard against some of the stripping and tangles sometimes associated with shampooing. I think that conditioner versus oil is really a matter of preference. My hair does not like most oils at anytime, so I usually pre-poo with conditioner.

I pre-poo with oil (coconut oil, EVOO, or the "greases" I have lying around that contain mineral oil). I've had great results so far... after pre-pooing my hair is always shinier, non-puffy, and more manageable.

I'm a newbie to this "hair care thing", so I would love to try pre-pooing with conditioner to see if I get even better results.

I've gone oil crazy in the last 6 mos - coconut, herbal oil, tea tree oil, emu, amla, jasmine, Vatika:lol: I've started to use a little leave in condish and top it with oil then cover overnight.

The hair washes very nicely, and no flyaways!!!

PRE-Pooing with conditioner never really worked for my natural hair - just left it really gummy. When I was little, my mom used to use castor oil as a pre-pooing treatment and it made my hair really soft. I just started doing this again, but I mix it w/my holy grail (Qhemet's Olive & Honey Hydrating balm) and my hair just feels better. Just shampooing it w/o the treatment, seems to dry it out.

I usually prepoo/hot oil treatment with jojoba oil or evoo every other week when I wash with mnt. Leaves my hair really soft and its not dry. My hair is def. benefiting from it. It feels more moisturize and i see less breakage.

1.) What is the purpose of the pre-poo treatment?

My general understanding is that when you shampoo your hair, it strips some of the moisture frlom it. So the purpose of a pre-poo treatment is to treat your hair with some moisture & what not, so that the shampoo doesn't strip it too much. I'm paraphrasing so don't take my words verbatim.

2.) What is the difference between using conditioner as a pre-poo treatment versus using oil?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. LOL. I used to heat up my conditioner and castor oil and mix it together. It worked pretty well for me, actually. But it's not for everyone. Some people's hair responds better to oils, some to conditioners. I hope my vague answers helped. =]

My hair is fine and has a tendency to end up over-conditioned or coated if I pre-poo with a moisturizing conditioner. Oils work better for me. The one exception is that when I want to use protein I do it as a pre-poo. This won't make the hair too soft and it also helps me avoid dry hair which sometimes occurs as a result of using protein treatments.

BlackCardinal said:
My hair is fine and has a tendency to end u over-conditioned or coated if I pre-poo with a moisturizing conditioner. Oils work better for me. The one exception is that when I want to use protein I do it as a pre-poo. This won't make the hair too soft and it also helps me avoid dry hair which sometimes occurs as a result of using protein treatments.

I have a very similar problem, I can't preepoo with moisturizing conditioners for the same reasons. I was using keraphix+any oils I had as a prepoo. Now I have been using Aubrey Organics GPB, but not long enough to judge the results.

I don't like just using conditioner as a prepoo, without and oil, because my hair doesn't feel coated enough. Lol, I don't really know why I prepoo, I guess I feel like it protects my hair from, and strengthens my hair in preparation of, the shampoo...

When I had a lot of extra conditioners laying around, I used them for pre-shampoo treatments. This is a great way to use up extra conditioners that you really don't want.

Pre-poo treatments have definitely helped keep my hair shiny, moist, and less frizz prone.

I've never used conditioner as a pre-poo treatment so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

I like mixing Coconut, Olive, and Aphogee EFA Oils with a bit of honey.

I use Dabur amla oil, for a couple of hours. Leaves my hair well conditioned even after i shampoo, i still feel the effects. I don't like to use conditioners as pre-poo, makes my hair feel harder.

I use oils or mayo for a prepoo

Off subject but DEN 1 YOUR HAIR IS SO SHINY & HEALTHY LOOKING (leaves thread to stalk her album:sekret:)

PrincessDiva said:
I use oils or mayo for a prepoo

Off subject but DEN 1 YOUR HAIR IS SO SHINY & HEALTHY LOOKING (leaves thread to stalk her album:sekret:)
Thank-you the shine is from my keracare products

Back