Oil for deep conditioning???

silenttullip

I'm attempting to be more frugal...
I wanted to know if any of you use only oils for deep conditioning?
I thought it could only be a hot oil treatment oil rinse or sealant...
Because people and research says it can't penetrate, and coconut oil
doesn't work for me.
If so what oils do you use?
How often do you dc with it and for how long?

you can use evoo as a dc. It is another fairly inexpensive oil that penetraits.

When you use evco how are you using it?

Some girls at thealons in DMV drench the hair in EVOO and sit under the dryer with a cap for 15-20 mins.

Rinse well, and continue with oil...

you can use evoo as a dc. It is another fairly inexpensive oil that penetraits.

When you use evco how are you using it?

I've tried it on my scalp it just made it oily
I tried it on my ends at night under a scarf
It just made them crunchy
I tried it as a dc it made it smushy and my ends were crunchy
not pleasant
But I do have some evoo and I love it as a sealer so I will
try it as a dc for 30mins and see

I don't DC with only oils, but I have been experimenting more with oils on naked hair. I am questioning the idea that oils other than coconut and olive are to be used only to seal

I love coconut oil, but I think that a lot of people don't like it *because* it penetrates the hair. It doesn't sit on top of your hair and give a silky feeling.

this article says that cocunut oil's low molecular weight and straight linear chain allows it to penetrate the hair

I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about chemistry, but I doubt that every ingredient in the conditioners we use has the proper molecular structure to penetrate the hair. I think a lot of them, especially silicones, just sit on top of the hair and make it feel good. That doesn't mean that it has no benefit at all

That first study found that sunflower oil does not penetrate the hair shaft
this one suggests that it does penetrate. I think there's a lot more room for studies on oils and hair before we can make definitive statements on which oils penetrate and rules on which oils can be used for what purposes

I love sunflower oil in my overnight baggies it makes my hair buttery soft. Maybe you could consider that a DC I don't know

I have been oil rinsing, sometimes without using a conditioner afterwards, and using oil only as a leave in. My hair has so much more life and shine

If olive oil is not working for you it may be because of its similarity to coconut oil. Try something else! I oil rinse with a castor oil blend and my leave in is a hemp seed oil blend.

I know someone around here uses Castor oil as a DC. I mix my EVOO with my conditioners and that helps it lasts longer as doing oil rinses by itself doesn't work for me.

this one suggests that it does penetrate. I think there's a lot more room for studies on oils and hair before we can make definitive statements on which oils penetrate and rules on which oils can be used for what purposes

I love sunflower oil in my overnight baggies it makes my hair buttery soft. Maybe you could consider that a DC I don't know

I applied sunflower oil after my conditioner this weekend and I had similar results - butter soft, moisturized, non greasy hair. It will be replacing coconut oil and EVOO for right now.

I did not deep condition. I just used some Suave and rinsed it out. And my hair came out nicely for once.

If you do a HOT do you really need to deep condition? Just a question.

doesn't work for me.

I think you might find the best benefit in mixing a ceramide (such as wheat germ is fairly inexpensive and you can find a big bottle for low $$$) oil into a cheapie condish. Many of the cheapie brands (Suave, Garnier Frutis, etc.) can be purchased for nearly nothing using coupons and great sales.

doesn't work for me.

Deep conditioner is actually a lot cheaper than oil - if you use the drugstore kind. Or you can add a tbsp of oil to kick up the conditioning power of store bought conditioner.

To use coconut oil for conditioner apply a generous amount to dry hair - let it soak overnight or for several hours then was it out.

I use clays and herbs. They're affordable and they work. See the ayurvedic thread.

leiah

I don't DC with only oils, but I have been experimenting more with oils on naked hair. I am questioning the idea that oils other than coconut and olive are to be used only to seal

I love coconut oil, but I think that a lot of people don't like it *because* it penetrates the hair. It doesn't sit on top of your hair and give a silky feeling.

I guess everyone has different hair but coconut oil makes my hair feel silky. I apply it a few hrs before washing (making sure my hair is completly product free) and by the end my NG is detangled and I hav fab hair.

this article says that cocunut oil's low molecular weight and straight linear chain allows it to penetrate the hair

I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about chemistry, but I doubt that every ingredient in the conditioners we use has the proper molecular structure to penetrate the hair. I think a lot of them, especially silicones, just sit on top of the hair and make it feel good. That doesn't mean that it has no benefit at all

I've said this time and time again. Conditioners do not penetrait the hair they just leave a coating on the strand.

I just tried a conditioner (Silk elements megasilk moisturizing treatment) that has sunflower oil as an ingredient and my hair feels fantastic.

I have been oil rinsing, sometimes without using a conditioner afterwards, and using oil only as a leave in. My hair has so much more life and shine

If olive oil is not working for you it may be because of its similarity to coconut oil. Try something else! I oil rinse with a castor oil blend and my leave in is a hemp seed oil blend.

see bolded within the quote for my response

i agree with Tiye. I add honey and oils to kick up a drug store conditioner and then sit under the dryer with a plastic cap.

i agree with Tiye. I add honey and oils to kick up a drug store conditioner and then sit under the dryer with a plastic cap.

I do this to get rid of conditioners that dont work well alone and it is FAB!!!

I make sure to write down my amounts so I get consistant results each time

Thank you ladies... Based on your responses I think I will try my vo5's and wheat germ maybe a little evoo. I love wheat germ oil and it loves me so that's a great idea. I'm afraid of honey but I may give it a shot soon. I also have a bag of fenugeek I'm thinking about adding.

I think you might find the best benefit in mixing a ceramide (such as wheat germ is fairly inexpensive and you can find a big bottle for low $$$) oil into a cheapie condish. Many of the cheapie brands (Suave, Garnier Frutis, etc.) can be purchased for nearly nothing using coupons and great sales.

I do this and it works wonders for my hair. I use wheat germ oil and mix it with Sauve.

Back