Nourishing ingredients to look for...

KnottyGurl

I don't know if this has been posted already, but I thought it was interesting to know. I hope this helps. There's also a link to the complete list of hair product ingredients with their properties and examples of products they're found in, at the bottom of this post. HTH:)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*If you want STRENGTH:

Ceramide
What it is: A complex lipid or fatty oil found naturally in the hair. What it does: Holds cuticle cells together to protect the inner structure of the hair.

Dimethiconol Methionine
What it is: An amino acid. What it does: Protects the hair shaft and fortifies the cuticle.

Triamine Complex
What it is: A patented formula containing the same 19 essential amino acids found in our hair. What it does: Protects hair from styling damage by fortifying cuticles, and detangles and conditions without weighing down the hair.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*If you want CONDITIONING:

Avocado Oil
What it is: A triglyceride (a natural fat, similar to those found in our body) that is easily absorbed by the hair and scalp and is rich in vitamins A, B, D and E. What it does: Lubricates the hair and scalp.

Horsetail
What it is: An herb containing calcium and high levels of amino acids. What it does: Strengthens and conditions.

Polyquaternium-10
What it is: A water-soluble polymer. What it does: Makes wet and dry hair easier to comb and manage.

Stearyl Alcohol
What it is: A fatty alcohol with emollient and moisturizing properties. What it does: Keeps hair hydrated.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*If you want MOISTURE:

Jojoba Oil
What it is: An oil with a molecular structure small enough to penetrate the hair and scalp; What it does: Moisturizes.

Mango Butter
What it is: An emollient derived from the fruit seed of the mango tree. What it does: Seals in moisture, softens and protects.

Panthenol
What it is: A vitamin. What it does: Gets inside the hair shaft to keep the cuticle moisturized.

Shea Butter
What it is: A fat obtained from the fruit of the Karite tree. What it does: Moisturizes and nourishes the hair and scalp.

*If you want SHINE:

Cyclomethicone
What it is: A silicone (synthetic compounds principally derived from sand). What it does: Adds gloss while preventing dryness.

Mica
What it is: A mineral. What it does: Enhances shine.

Trimethicone
What it is: A silicone. What it does: Leaves a light-reflecting veneer on the hair.

*If you want CLEANSING:

Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
What it is: A gentle cleanser. What it does: Removes dirt and product residue, and softens the hair.

Decyl Glucoside
What it is: A by-product of decyl-alcohol condensation, which contains a glucose polymer. What it does: Makes shampoo milder.

Gingerroot Extract
What it is: Oil derived from ginger. What it does: Removes scalp bacteria.

*If you want VOLUME:

PVPNA Copolymer
What it is: A setting agent. What it does: Provides lift.

Chitosan
What it is: Taken from crab and lobster shells and algae. What it does: Provides lift at the root while adding bounce and elasticity.

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
What it is: A protein. What it does: Enhances body, softens, conditions and moisturizes.

A-Z of Hair Ingredients: Hair Product Ingredients

Last edited:
That is an EXCELLENT POST. Explains things in language that is eaSY TO UNDERSTAND. thanks!!!!

Very helpful, thank you:)
Just added to my hair care folder.

I always thought ALS in poo was a bad thing....but I guess it's okay.

Back