NEW: Winter Bun Challenge (Dec 2009- Mar 2010)

pretty buns ladies!!!

laidbak... while i'm no longer military, i'm still stuck in the boring old buns. and i dont mind it lol i like my buns lmao

Checking in.....still bunning, my ends are still thin, think I'm going to have to cut them off. I found some unusual hairsticks on Etsy to help secure the phony hair.

I take my bun down at night massage with megatek, rosemary oil, hibiscus oil, I alternate with MN. Mornings I co wash,add my leave-in and seal with JBCO and Coconut oil....hair's looking thicker and shinier!!

Checking in!!

I have been switching from roller sets to twist to buns in the last week(s). Now im getting bored with that and i am now back to bunning! I get bored pretty easily but i miss my buns..for now:spinning:

I can finally do one bun on loose hair. My hair doesn't seem longer I guess I just got better at stretching it. I can only seem to do it in one spot though so I still got a ways to go. It's hard to believe this challenge is almost over.

Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm going to wear buns forever.

I'm really feeling my bun today -- it's higher on top of my head -- not super high, but really high, and it's cute.

Also, when I wear the bun higher up, my hair is much longer at that point, so there's a lot more to work with. Anyone with SL hair, try to find the point where your hair is the longest in a ponytail.

Hey ya'll. I'm checking in today with another bun. I wasn't planning on buning today but my hair and ends are reverting so I just decided to create a bun to hide the ends. Can't wait until I get my reggie down so that I can control some of this reversion and wear my hair down more often. :sad:

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 97
I would like to join this challenge if not too late....even if unofficially. I do plan to bun consistently throughout the winter months

Hi All!

We're at the 1 month mark!!! Congratulations to all of you who've made it thus far. Keep up the good work. Thanks to all of you who've been updating. Keep it coming.

If you joined after 12-26-09, sorry I didn't add your name to the OP, but welcome, and I'm sure you've been bunning faithfully.

So, I just wanted to pop in and update briefly:

Bunning is not only going well for me, it's like GOLD!!! :grin:

My hair is so much healthier, my ends look great.

I'm shampooing and DC'ing once a week (after swimming), rollersetting to avoid heat (and to wear straight), then dry pinning or clawclipping e'ryday! I use a pass occasionally, on a Saturday, maybe. But usually I bun then, too because it's just so easy, pretty, and convenient to put my hair up instead.

I think I've found my rhythm, and now I'm in the grove :yep:. I'm looking forward to the next 2 months of protecting my ends!

Happy Bunning!

Pinkchocolatedaisy – love your bun and the flower is a lovely accent. :grin:

Laidbak – I understand but that would make it so much easier for me! Then I wouldn’t be tempted to do funky stuff and I love your logic – retain, retain, retain! :up:

Panamoni- you are SO right about the high bun! I learned that some time ago and it certainly gives me more hair to make my bun! :yep:

Ms la donna – your French roll is lovely! :love2:

Testimony777 – I took your advice and twisted my hair! It soothed my itch because my twists looked a mess. I pulled the twists into a bun, as you suggested, and made it through the day. Took them down the next day, tried a braid out :nono: and ended up putting my hair right back in a bun. All that manipulation. When will I learn?

Attachments

• 2010 - 0121.jpg
    2010 - 0121.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 2010 - 0121b.jpg
    2010 - 0121b.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 27
Pinkchocolatedaisy – love your bun and the flower is a lovely accent. :grin:

Laidbak – I understand but that would make it so much easier for me! Then I wouldn’t be tempted to do funky stuff and I love your logic – retain, retain, retain! :up:

Panamoni- you are SO right about the high bun! I learned that some time ago and it certainly gives me more hair to make my bun! :yep:

Ms la donna – your French roll is lovely! :love2:

Testimony777 – I took your advice and twisted my hair! It soothed my itch because my twists looked a mess. I pulled the twists into a bun, as you suggested, and made it through the day. Took them down the next day, tried a braid out :nono: and ended up putting my hair right back in a bun. All that manipulation. When will I learn?

Thank you! I love your bun too!:love5:

@ Qurlyqt , I love your bun! It's so thick, and the green leaf makes it even better. I do this bun everyday (except that it doesn't look that great, also I don't jazz it up at all) for school and I just use a nylon scrunchie and nothing else (tuck my ends in the same srunchie) and I think my ends are suffering because of this. Do you pin your ends under or do the same? Do you do anything special to your ends to keep them protected?

@ Qurlyqt , I love your bun! It's so thick, and the green leaf makes it even better. I do this bun everyday (except that it doesn't look that great, also I don't jazz it up at all) for school and I just use a nylon scrunchie and nothing else (tuck my ends in the same srunchie) and I think my ends are suffering because of this. Do you pin your ends under or do the same? Do you do anything special to your ends to keep them protected?

Awww, thanks! I'm learning not to pul l my buns so tight so I usually just use an elastic and not wrap it more than once. I use castor oil on my ends daily. I usually pin my ends under with two bobby pins.

@ Qurlyqt , I love your bun! It's so thick, and the green leaf makes it even better.

I second that :yep:. I love the way your hair looks in that pic; I want to get some flower accessories for my hair. I am sorry the twist thing only worked for you for a day:sad:. I bet it was real cute though=)

^^ I think you can still do some sort of bun. My hair is about SL or CBL stretched; it's more than NL but not quite SL non stretched. You could do a twist and pin it up or something to that effect. I also employ "help" (read: fake hair lol) to give my buns some weight. I think you can do it! :yep:

Does anyone know of any good youtube bun tutorials or even fotkis. I saw the link in this thread but it seems like that would work more on relaxed hair or straightened hair. I'm natural and I can't flat iron my hair to save my life LOL.

Last edited:
I second that :yep:. I love the way your hair looks in that pic; I want to get some flower accessories for my hair. I am sorry the twist thing only worked for you for a day:sad:. I bet it was real cute though=)

You are so sweet! And I'm GLAD you suggested the twist bun. :yep: If not for you, I'd still be dreaming of twisting my hair.

Does anyone know of any good youtube bun tutorials or even fotkis. I saw the link in this thread but it seems like that would work more on relaxed hair or straightened hair. I'm natural and I can flat iron my hair to save my life LOL.

Not sure about youtube or fotki but there were some REALLY cute ideas on this forum! Try searching the hair forums for "Buns on Natural Hair". I believer there were a couple different ones.

I'm still here. My parents came for a visit- first time since Christmas- and I wore my hair down for the weekend. My dad commented that my hair looked longer and thicker. :)

Still rocking the high bun. I like it, plus I've gotten several compliments. Going to stay with the high bun until further notice.

Still bunning. I just discovered wet bunning IS better for me. I just can't do it on sopping wet hair. And detangling is a must. I discovered a miracle in my seamless comb. I've been bunning almost exclusively. I've only worn my hair out like 3 times since this year began. I am now wear a bun with my hair parted in the side with twists. This works better for me instead of trying to fit it all in one bun.

Im beginning to get tired of my bun so im gonna try to wet bun tonight and try twist in a bun next week, This wintershedding is killing me and drying out my hair even in the bun

Back