RUBY

Hi, I'm new to the forum and today I decided to introduce myself with a heart felt rant and rave. Well my biggest upset is that the last time (oct '02) I had a relaxer retouch the so called stylist put the relaxer on all my hair and just on the regrowth! And was worse and I'm ashamed and angry about this, is that I didn't say anything. I new what she was doing was wrong but I felt intimidated because not only was she much older than me but she was supposed to be the 'professional'. I'm a Londoner and the salon where this tragedy /images/graemlins/violin.gif (to me anyway) took place was Hype Coiffure which apparently is supposed to be one of the better salons (well I thought so because it had won awards). My hair didn't break straight away but now I am finding that I'm losing way too much hair and I don't know what to do /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I'm due for another retouch but I'm scared. I can't go back to that salon so this is a plea. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good salon/stylist in London?
Plus any suggestions on how to stop my hair shedding/breaking as a result of the overpressing/overlapping?
Thanks in advance.

Ruby

A fellow londoner welcomes you. There are a few of us London gals on here. I personally can't recommend a salon to you for a chemical treatment such as a relaxer because I do mine myself and don't trust anyone near my hair.

For the breakage, try a deep conditioning treatment with motions CPR. I suggested to another poster today to a search for protein conditioner on the board and you will find extensive research on the different types and how people found them.

Good Luck with your hair journey. You've come to the right place.

Hi Ruby,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Like LondonDiva suggested, do a protein treatment with Motions CPR or Aphogee treatment for dry/damaged hair, to get the breakage under control. I wouldn't go back to that salon either; doesn't appear as if they know what they're doing. Start hunting around for someone else. Good luck! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Welcome Ruby. /images/graemlins/wave.gif Glad you found us! Sorry that you had to suffer at the hands of yet another nut job hairdresser, but with the tips you get on this board you'll be on your way to better hair health.

Maybe you can post your regime for us. That's one way to get the ball rolling!

Welcome Ruby! Unfortunately, I do not live in London and have no advice to give regarding your request for an alternate hairstylist. I do want to say that with all the information on this board, you should be well on your way to ending that breakage in no time. I'm sure the protein and moisturizing will heal the damage that was done.

Hi Ruby,

Welcome to the forum! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at the salon, it can be very discouraging especially when a so-called professional does the wrong thing. I don't live in London but maybe LondonDiva can help. Hang in there...it will get better

Ruby Welcome.

I would suggest starting the protien treatments immediately. The longer you wait, the more damage. Right now your hair is in a very, very fragile state. So you try to stay away from applying any kind of heat to your hair and try to keep it moisturized at all time. There are plenty threads on how to air dry hair. You may also want to consider wearing protective hair styles until you get the breakage under control.

Good luck, you can to the right place at the right time!

/images/graemlins/weird.gif

Thanks for all the advice. I've bought myself some aphogee treatment for damaged hair. I'm hoping it will work the miracles that some have described. I'll post the results after I've done it.

Re: RUBYnew member

Ruby, In London, I would personally recommend ERICA of LaCoupe Furtur In Streatham. She listens, can TRIM and will not overlap. That salon is top class, go nowhere else in London! If you want further details go to www.lacoupefutur.com or send me a private message

I think the protein is a great idea but as Linda said. Moisturize, Moiisturize, Moisturize (especially if you live in London). Dont ever be afraid to tell anyone what you want done or dont want done to your hair because you better believe that if the shoe was on the other foot, that stylist would tell you exactly what she wanted. I think the Loreal products that Tee suggested in another link are excellent for moisture (Natures Therapy). I think another crucial aspect will be to use a leave in that contains Keratin and Panthenol. IC treatment and Aphogee but have effective products. Also, I believe that conditioner washes will probably help the situation. I would have to find out what this lady was thinking when she did that. I think some do it on purpose to keep you coming back b/c I know they dont teach that foolishness in a beauty school.

Girl I honestly think I have some phobia about hair salons. I cannot imagine sitting in that chair and someone having their hands in my hair. EVERYTHING they would do even down to the way they handle it would be wrong.

i know what you mean, diva. erica is real good. shes been doing my twin sister's hair for ages and her hair is like /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
long (way past her shoulders), thick, strong, shiny. and that even without bothering like me with the vitamins, hair boards etc. so that speaks volumes and i was referred by her. they are quite expensive for me at 50 quid for touch ups but i will let erica do my touch ups till i learn to do it maself real soon /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

lacoupe are really polite as well, no triple bookings over there, you are seen to as soon as you walk in.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hi ruby!!!! welcome to the board. it seems like you might have the same problem i have. it seems like when i get in the stylist's chair my lips immediately lock up. And like you, my hairstylist is a lot older than me. However, i've gained some knowledge on how to handle hairstylists from this board and in the future I'll know better. Hopefully you will too /images/graemlins/smile.gif welcome again. /images/graemlins/wave.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Welcome to the board Ruby! As previously stated protein treatments are the best way to go but make sure you follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. As far as the so called "professional" never let someone perform a procedure to your hair or body just because they have some certificate on the wall even when you know what they are doing is wrong. You're the one that is going to have to live with their mistakes. Hope all goes well.

I will keep this salon in mind for future reference. I may use my sister as a guines pig and go with her to see how they handle hair and all that. I'm still afraid. STILL VERY AFRAID /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Back