New *2009* Transitioners Support Thread!

Peace in Prose

I got the go from my husband last night when we were at a company christmas party and a beautiful natural head of hair walked in the room. He said I want your hair like that and I told him let me chop it off. A week before I cut 6 inches off because I was tired of dealing with babying the short spots.

Now I want to big chop but I'm going to do it December 1st. It symbolizes a major change in my life and I threw away my tub of silk elements. I love my new growth. Touching it. Since I wear head wraps the majority of the time anyways it's not a huge departure for me to gone head and chop that bad boy off.

ETA: when I attempted to transition (huh, stretch) I would get major breakage, I know I didn't know how to treat the two textures and I ended up slapping some creamy crack in it. I glad I am taking this step. Hello ladies...

Last edited:

I_shure_do_wish

Thanks for starting on new thread for transitioners, Well I'm about 3 month post relaxer and I am loving the changes already. My hair has greatly improved from the state it was in before although my hair is quite fragile right now I'm still loving the look and feel of my natural hair and I finally know my hair texture. =]. I just took out my braids I had in for 2 months and I made hair clips so I could have my hair braided underneath. It makes it alot easier on wash days. Just clip them out wash and re-clip.

divya

Hello Ladies,

I just joined the old thread a couple weeks ago (it may have been last week) but wanted to officially tell you, that I bc on Friday.

I had been transitioning since February 2008 and the two textures were getting tough to deal with and to tell you the truth, the more I worked with my natural hair, the more I loved it better than the relaxed.

I am soooo in love w/my hair right now! :yep: I'll post pics later, when I can figure out where I saved them on my computer....

Thanks again for your support.

Congrats girl! Can't wait to see the pics!

transitioning has also gotten quite easy for me now. i am solid in my regimen and bunning is just wonderful

Hasn't it? Honestly I'm enjoy it right now. My hair is acting really nice...easy to deal with.

llahend123

Im posting one of me in August, when I got married. Just to show you the length (It grew several inches since then).

And the picture taken on Friday....

I hope you guys can see these ok. I used my phone for the last pic....

Attachments

• WeddingPicSmall.jpg
    WeddingPicSmall.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 75
  • NaturalPic2.jpg
    NaturalPic2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 428

vivEz daNs lamouR

Transitioner checking in! :wave:

I just made 9 months post on the 3rd, so that means I'm in week...36. It's going well although my hair is in dire need of washing and I've been pretty lazy about it. Oh well, I'll wash this week, probably do a protein treatment, and MAYBE attempt a flexi-rod set.

I'm also starting to run low on the products that I used as a relaxed head. Does anyone know of any tried and true must have products for natchals?

In theory, I'd like to transition for 2 years but I can't see me blending textures for the next year and change. I'm going to Punta Cana in May to celebrate my graduating college, so if I don't decide on a hairstyle (i.e. braids or something of the sort), then I MIGHT BC by then. But, I'm leaving the day after my ceremony, so I don't know how doable that will be.

*sigh* We shall see my friends, we shall see.

ajoyfuljoy

Transitioner checking in! :wave:

I just made 9 months post on the 3rd, so that means I'm in week...36. It's going well although my hair is in dire need of washing and I've been pretty lazy about it. Oh well, I'll wash this week, probably do a protein treatment, and MAYBE attempt a flexi-rod set.

I'm also starting to run low on the products that I used as a relaxed head. Does anyone know of any tried and true must have products for natchals?

In theory, I'd like to transition for 2 years but I can't see me blending textures for the next year and change. I'm going to Punta Cana in May to celebrate my graduating college, so if I don't decide on a hairstyle (i.e. braids or something of the sort), then I MIGHT BC by then. But, I'm leaving the day after my ceremony, so I don't know how doable that will be.

*sigh* We shall see my friends, we shall see.

Wow Congratulations!

vivEz daNs lamouR

How long did it take you ladies to decide you wanted to transition?
I'm only 3 weeks post now, lol, but I've seriously been considering it for a while. I still go back and forth about it a lot.

I'll just subscribe to this thread and keep checking in.

I decided I wanted to transition after watching my mother AND my best friend transition and seeing how beautiful their hair was in its natural state.

I chose to transition during the Spring season, against the advice of my friend who said I should relax one more time and start in the winter because of less humidity, etc etc.

I didn't take her advice, and now fast forward nine months later, here I am. Approaching a year and I am SO excited.

Morenita

Thanks for commenting about the Henna. It's funny b/c I think of myself having breakage b/c in the past when I had breakage I could cover a whole bathroom floor and now it very, very few strands. I think it's happens more when my hair is wet. So I try to let it dry some before I start manipulating it. I don't know what happened but my hair used to dry in under .5 seconds or, at least it seemed like that. Now it takes maybe 20 minutes. That may not sound long but to me it is.

Is Cassia the only "Henna" that does not color? I was wondering if I should get the black Henna to cover my grays. I've got about 3 gray hairs. Doesn't really bother me but one of them is right on my edge. No way to hide it and it grows faster and longer than the rest of my hair. :wallbash:

Yes, Cassia is the only [henna-like] "Henna" that does not color, lol. I haven't tried it myself, but I probably will someday. I just like the reddish tones that henna gives. I'm thinking of trying some ayurveda methods though, and hopefully amla powder won't darken my hair :ohwell: If you're looking to cover grays, lots of ladies do a henna-indigo combination, so you may be happy with that. Check out the henna thread for detailed instuctions though!

I also think for some reason that my hair is more prone to breakage when it is wet. I am learning to be more gentle with it.

I'm learning this also... I'm obsessed with detangling because I bun and I like it smooth. I need to break myself out of this before I go bald :nono: My ends are already a lot thinner than they were when I first joined I think :wallbash: This is one of the reasons that I want to give ayurveda a shot. It will keep me from handling my hair too much I hope. :perplexed

I'm only about 6 weeks post and it's not bad in terms of managing the two

types of hair I have about an inch of new growth it's just that I can't find

my silk do-rag and at night I'm too tired to find something to tie on my

head to make sure it's flat in the morning- ONE night I just grabbed a pair of shorts and tied that over my head!:lachen:

Funniest thing is that since deciding to transition I've really left my hair

alone- I just smooth the edges with a brush into a pony or bun and wash

once a week (I used to comb my hair like crazy everyday and wash my

hair 4-5 times per week! :spinning:) I'm definitely seeing some benefit and no real

breakage at all wow!

:laugh: @ the bolded!!! :lachen:

Hello Ladies,

I just joined the old thread a couple weeks ago (it may have been last week) but wanted to officially tell you, that I bc on Friday.

I had been transitioning since February 2008 and the two textures were getting tough to deal with and to tell you the truth, the more I worked with my natural hair, the more I loved it better than the relaxed.

I am soooo in love w/my hair right now! :yep: I'll post pics later, when I can figure out where I saved them on my computer....

Thanks again for your support.

:congrats: It looks beautiful :)

Last edited:

SUPER SWEET

Im about 60weeks..i lost count:spinning: But I know it's not as easy I thought it would be. Now that i chopped 5 inches my hair looks crazy. I need to chop the rest of the relaxed hair off but I cant because I like this tiny ponytail. I can atleast put a phony on for now.
If it wasnt for moisture block and hydrafuse I wouldnt have made it this far.:ohwell:

vivEz daNs lamouR

Does anyone have any tips for flexi-rod setting transitioned hair? I'm wondering if I should my XXXL rollers or use smaller ones, but I don't want tight curls, just straight roots.

The Sedu is like my cocaine, I'm soo trying to stay away but its callin meeee... :lachen:

FindingMe

I'm in...37 weeks post...so about 8 months in....

Transitioners: How much relaxed hair do you have left (if any)?

I am 1 inch from BSL and have about 4-5 inches of NG shrunk as far as I can tell...so I have a lot, prolly 65% of my hair is relaxed still...and at 8 months in...looks like I'm in for the long haul...

how do you ladies plan on wearing your hair once you're fully natural?
im going back and forth about transitioning but i dont really see myself rockin the curly look lol.

I really will probably do braidouts most of the time (has become my staple style) and WnG's and rollersets with the roots flar ironed...I'm also looking forward to rocking puffs and a large fro. Maybe twist outs and or finger curls, big curly buns....I am looking to add more textured styles to my repertoire with my natural hair...you name it, I'm game to try it...

How long did it take you ladies to decide you wanted to transition?
I'm only 3 weeks post now, lol, but I've seriously been considering it for a while. I still go back and forth about it a lot.

I'll just subscribe to this thread and keep checking in.

I have been natural before and did the BC (a mistake for me). I was completely happy with my relaxed hair when I joined LHCF a year ago, but I statred posting pics and trying new styles and reading up on how to take better care of and manage my natural hair, I decided after about 3-4 months that I wanted to transition. I couldn't be happier with my decision...

Yes, Cassia is the only [henna-like] "Henna" that does not color, lol. I haven't tried it myself, but I probably will someday. I just like the reddish tones that henna gives. I'm thinking of trying some ayurveda methods though, and hopefully amla powder won't darken my hair :ohwell: If you're looking to cover grays, lots of ladies do a henna-indigo combination, so you may be happy with that. Check out the henna thread for detailed instuctions though!

hey, lady!:grin: I knew you would be in here! I think I am going to strat henna for color like once a month...i just need to get off my lazy but and do it. I have the stuff....maybe after the holidays...

Morenita

hey, lady!:grin: I knew you would be in here! I think I am going to strat henna for color like once a month...i just need to get off my lazy but and do it. I have the stuff....maybe after the holidays...

Yay! :wavey: FM, I knew you'd be in here too lol :happydance: Yeah, I find myself getting lazy with henna also. I've only done it twice since I've joined. I'd be happy with a once-a-month treatment. I'll get there eventually.

Right now though, I'm about to hit the checkout button on a bunch of ayurveda herbs that I am itching to try. I want to try ayurveda treatments twice a week and see how that helps my hair. I keep hearing so many good things about this method. I just need to do something to stop this breakage. :pullhair: My ends are thinner than when I joined and I still can't stick with one solution long enough to figure out what it is that's causing it. :detective: I did give up on shampooing so often though and my hair is thanking me for it. It is sooo moisturized lately. I'm in love with my new products :love2: Hairveda is next on my hit list after reading that thread the other day :nono: I don't think that the PJ in me will ever die :look:

:shopping:

jerjer29

7 months for me! lol i can't even believe i've gone this far..all i know is i'm not stopping till i get to 18 months or do a big chop, because i will be damned if i wasted 7+ months transitioning for nothing. So far everything is fine for me, i haven't run into any big problems and overall everything i'm doing is simple and no big fuss.

Last edited:

mellowmel

I'm transitioning. 19 weeks in. Last relaxer was July 31, 2008. I've been wearing bantu knot sets this week since I was wanting to relax. Looks good and only takes my 10 minutes to do at night. Love it and can't wait until I'm all natural!

ycj

I am only 4 months post this month and it's not easy for me in the least. But since I made this decision I have to stick with it. Being here in NW Illinois it gets pretty cold here now and all I do is keep my hair braided and pinned then keep my plastic cap on then my silk bonnet. It is working out fine with me.

Less maniputlation!!!! I wash and dc every 5-6 days and repeat this routine. My hair stays convered and moist at the same time. I have thought about cutting off an inch or 2 a month until all the relaxer is gone, but I am not sure. It's hard cutting your own hair especially in the back. So for right now I think I will leave it alone and let it do it's thing.

I am just so angry with myself for not finding this site 2 yrs ago. I was natural for like 2.5 yrs, but was going overseas and wanted to look really nice so I caved and put a relaxer in 2007. The biggest mistake I've made.

Well all I have to say is another life's lesson learned. We all have to go through trial and error to find what's right for us.:wallbash:

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
I'm 7 months in and it's been pretty easy so far. If it continues going so well I might be able to make it longer than I expected. I had braids early during my transition but I missed being able to see my hair so now I'm co-washing weekly and wearing a bun everyday. I cut an inch off yesterday.

pinkdot's blog

My last relaxer was August 16, 2008. I will be 17 weeks post tomorrow. I will be 4 months post by next week. I love playing with my new growth:spinning: but its time to get some braids.... This is my second time transitioning and my hair thrives best when I just leave it alone.:yep:

trinidarkie1

Hello all! I've made the decision to Transition. I'm currently about 26 weeks post relaxer. Unfortunately I do not have a lot of new growth, maybe one inch. The BC is calling to me, but I want to exercise some patience and wait until I get some more new growth before I do so.

My goals are to incrase my deep conditioners. I love to Cowash my hair, but the DC's are work, I hate to sit under the dryer for too long. Also, my hair is incredibly thin, so hopefully that improves as well.

SilkySwag

I'm 20 weeks post, and so far so good. I have about 4 or 5 inches of relaxed ends left. I plan to transition for another six months!

brownelovely

I'm only 11 weeks post:ohwell:but I'm learning everyday! I put myself on a transitioning challenge to use no heat and use buns, sew-ins, and cornrows for protective styles (while developing a regimen that will work!)

FindingMe

Yay! :wavey: FM, I knew you'd be in here too lol :happydance: Yeah, I find myself getting lazy with henna also. I've only done it twice since I've joined. I'd be happy with a once-a-month treatment. I'll get there eventually.

Right now though, I'm about to hit the checkout button on a bunch of ayurveda herbs that I am itching to try. I want to try ayurveda treatments twice a week and see how that helps my hair. I keep hearing so many good things about this method. I just need to do something to stop this breakage. :pullhair: My ends are thinner than when I joined and I still can't stick with one solution long enough to figure out what it is that's causing it. :detective: I did give up on shampooing so often though and my hair is thanking me for it. It is sooo moisturized lately. I'm in love with my new products :love2: Hairveda is next on my hit list after reading that thread the other day :nono: I don't think that the PJ in me will ever die :look:

:shopping:

My ends are thinner, too and i have been contributing that to breakage at the line of demarcation. I don't have a lot, but my ends are definitely thinner. I was planning on the BC next October (no sooner at 18 months), but I was trying to hold out for April 2010 to make 2 years. I am so in love with my length, but with these ends, I think I will prolly chop near the 18 month mark....

I am only 4 months post this month and it's not easy for me in the least. But since I made this decision I have to stick with it. Being here in NW Illinois it gets pretty cold here now and all I do is keep my hair braided and pinned then keep my plastic cap on then my silk bonnet. It is working out fine with me.

Less maniputlation!!!! I wash and dc every 5-6 days and repeat this routine. My hair stays convered and moist at the same time. I have thought about cutting off an inch or 2 a month until all the relaxer is gone, but I am not sure. It's hard cutting your own hair especially in the back. So for right now I think I will leave it alone and let it do it's thing.

I am just so angry with myself for not finding this site 2 yrs ago. I was natural for like 2.5 yrs, but was going overseas and wanted to look really nice so I caved and put a relaxer in 2007. The biggest mistake I've made.

Well all I have to say is another life's lesson learned. We all have to go through trial and error to find what's right for us.:wallbash:

I agree. Less manipulation works the best for me. The less I fool with my hair, the better it does...:yep:

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I am 11 months in my transition (44 weeks maybe); and each day gets better...I did have the urge to relaxe last week, but I'm glad I didn't (I could'nt readily find Mizani Butter Blends, I've decided that if I DO relax, I'm using a lye relaxer). My friend howeve begged me to do it (which I don't understand because she is natural)...

I'm enjoying my transition for the most part. I love every curl and wave and I can't wait to see more of it. The first few months were very trying and initimidating and I just wanted to give up; but I pushed through it and I opted for a simple regime to help me get through.

I co-wash daily (I'm in love with aussie moist conditioner!); towel dry and spray a moisturizing mix of glycerin/saa/honeywuat/water in my hair; then I brush my hair with a conair brush (don't know the name of it) and slick the edges with a boar bristle brush; put it in a pony tail; then slap on a phony ponytail. If I opt to wear my wavy ponytail, i use fantasia ic gel on the edges. If I want silky smooth results, I use fantasia frizzbuster (good if you love cones!)...

At night, I rinse my hair in the shower and then I detangle while using MT or OCT (I alternate nightly). Then put my hair up in 4 plaits, place a shower cap on and off to bed I go.

I found that this simple routine helps me. My hair feels stronger, more moisturized. It even looks healthier (when I decide to straighten, I do it monthly maybe...)

When I starighten I use CHI shampoo and treatment. Followed by aveda smoothing serum and brilliant damage control on sectioned hair; sit under a dryer for 45 minutes; when done, i put on CHI silk infusion and spray iron guard on, then flat iron my hair with myt FHI in sections. This gives me the best bounce and shine, plus my hair looks healthy and shiny with it (without all the weight)...

Keeping it simple works best for me. Hopefully I can transitition without the BC; I hope to make it to APL or close to it by May 2009. My back is already touching SL, and hopefully the MT and OCT will give me the oopmh I need to reach that goal. Once I reach APL I hope to continue transitioning with roller and flexirod sets (light bulb goes off in head...maybe I should flexi rod tonight...any suggestions)...

That's it for my long story. Who's next? LOL!

trinidarkie1

I don't comb my hair everyday. I wash every weekend though and I love the feel of my curls and waves when the conditioner is in my hair. I too am anxious to see more of my curls and waves.

I had Rudy Huxtable hair as a child and teenager and then voila! I jacked up my hair. :(

vivEz daNs lamouR

So I did my hair today FINALLY after about 3+ weeks of being straight LAZY. I clarified with CON since I had used cones during my last flat iron, and then I did a protein treatment with Emergencee and Sebastian.

Then I went ahead and used a mix of some condishes that I have since they were running close to empty. Was going to attempt to flexirod, but my rollers are waaaaaaay too big, so instead I went back to my trusty blow dry and flat iron. Only this time, I used shea butter prior to flat ironing instead of Sabino, and my god was it lovely! Made flat ironing VERY easy despite me being so lazy on the blow drying portion of styling.

I absolutely love love LOVE my Sedu. My hair isn't very dense in terms of hair typing, but I still love how sleek it makes the hair. In this pic, the left side of my hair is done and the right is just blow dried.

Ended my flat iron with my usual pin curls.

Last edited:

Lyoness

what products are you using thats making it so easy?!? ....

Hiya

It maybe its what I do rather than what I use, I'm a magpie/vulture when it comes to products.. I DC without heat before i shampoo with a bar and then DC again afterwards [alternating btwn moisture & protein]... I always detangle my hair while its wet with a wide tooth comb with the dc in my hair.. maybe its that or just my type I duno?:perplexed
Oh and Henna helps to strengthen my hair too

sunnydaze

Good luck to all the transitioners. About 1/4 of my hair at this point is still relaxed, I'll probably chop it off by the end of the year even though I planned to transition for 24 months..like most here say, you get tired of looking at the straight ends compared to the wavy/curly/kinky new growth.

For those of you who are hitting a tough mark around months 6-9..it definitely gets easier after that point. You may need to change how you are doing your hair to deal with that period. I pretty much bunned from months 6-11, then half wigs from 11-18...helped tremendously.

I have also been pleasantly surprised that I can still roller set my hair and have it look halfway decent. The key for me getting my roots straight is to sleep on it; take out the rollers, gather my hair up in a high ponytail, tie my hair down with a scarf..works really well. Laying a warm iron over the roots works well too.:)

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Vive~you've made me want to purchase a Sedu and try flatironing at home. I like my hair "styled" but my styl-ists are so ruff. I feel like i'm losing progress, em, hair, whenever i go...

i'm a year post and i don't have alot of options, i bought curlformers, haven't tried 'em, look like alot of work, and i started to consider texlaxing like every 6 months or so...i want to be free of relaxers, but i miss my hair being styled, i'm getting tired of the bun, like, enough, already...

i'm trying to lay off of heat bcs i want my hair to really get healthy and thick, but flatironing seems the only way to style my hair...i really don't want to texlax, but i'm thinking, maybe it's the lesser of two evils? H-e-l-p~

vivEz daNs lamouR

Vive~you've made me want to purchase a Sedu and try flatironing at home. I like my hair "styled" but my styl-ists are so ruff. I feel like i'm losing progress, em, hair, whenever i go...

i'm a year post and i don't have alot of options, i bought curlformers, haven't tried 'em, look like alot of work, and i started to consider texlaxing like every 6 months or so...i want to be free of relaxers, but i miss my hair being styled, i'm getting tired of the bun, like, enough, already...

i'm trying to lay off of heat bcs i want my hair to really get healthy and thick, but flatironing seems the only way to style my hair...i really don't want to texlax, but i'm thinking, maybe it's the lesser of two evils? H-e-l-p~

I'm gonna be honest with you.

For me right now, if I wasn't flat ironing my hair, I probably would've relaxed by now.

For me, cowashing and bunning was leading to my hair being mushy and limp and it was really doing more harm than good to my hair in terms of breakage at the demarcation line. And I was getting REALLY bored.

The blending of the textures makes my hair look and feel 20x healthier and better. I only do this once every 3 weeks, sometimes once a month, but even so, I combat that by doing a DC, and I use protectorant products.

You can look at my texture, even though I've been flat ironing consistently since the summertime, my texture isn't heat damaged, and my ends aren't splitting terribly or getting thin. I still wear satin scarves, moisturize, and all the other essentials, but instead, I flat iron. I'd love to be one of those who could just airdry or use a boar brush to brush my hair back into a wet pony, but its cold here in NYC, and all that brushing makes my hair overly manipulated and I wind up losing more hair than I do when I just do this regimen.

Once I'm fully natural, I won't flat iron as much as I'll have one full texture, but for now this works for me. My suggestion would be to get a Sedu, do a DC session, use some products post-wash (I use Lacio Lacio, a tiny bit of shea butter, and some Aveda Brilliant Gloss or Biosilk, but I didn't use this yesterday. Only Shea.) and then blow dry on warm and then flat iron. I guarantee that you'll like it and you probably won't see any harm done. :yep: