Nervous about self-texlaxing

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I have questions about self-texlaxing. How do you time it? Do you start timing it after all the relaxer is applied to your hair or do you start timing it when the relaxer first touches your hair?
Also how long does it take you to apply the relaxer to your whole head? And do you mix anything in with the relaxer to slow it down if you are slow at applying?
I'm going to attempt my first texlax at home but am nervous that I will be too slow applying the relaxer for the processing to be even throughout my hair, so any tips would be great.
My hair is 4a/b and I will be using Soft & Beautiful Botanicals No-Lye Sensitive Scalp Relaxer on my newgrowth.

locabouthair

I do one hald one day and the othe rhalf another day. I'm not skilled enough to do the whole head at once. it takes me 10 mins to apply it to half my head and the other ten I smooth. I try not to leave it on longer then 20 mins.

I time it from when I first apply it.

Some people mix in olive oil to slow down the processing time. I never tried it though.

Make sure you protect your relax ends with vaseline or some oil or conditioner. Get a shampoo hose at the BSS for like $4. It really helps to get all the relaxer rinsed out.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I do one hald one day and the othe rhalf another day. I'm not skilled enough to do the whole head at once. it takes me 10 mins to apply it to half my head and the other ten I smooth. I try not to leave it on longer then 20 mins.
Ooooh, I hadn't thought to only do one half of the head and the other half later. I'm gonna try that. Probably would be able to make time without being in a rushing panic since I would only have 7-10 minutes for a texlax.
Thank you! :yawn:

longhairlover

the instructions will tell you the time frame based on your hair type.

you time it from application to smoothing, you have to apply and smooth it all within the time stated on the relaxer jar/instructions.

if your not smoothing it for straightness then you should have enough time for application of the whole head.

I always tell people to go to a pro, I learned how to perm professionally, I see alot of women put too much relaxer on the hair and other craziness.

don't use alot of relaxer it's not necessary, apply on small thin sections, of course put conditioner on your already processed strands or a pre treatment, base you neck, forehead, scalp etc.

for neutralizing try to buy a color coded one, it will rinse clear when all the relaxer is out of the hair, it will rinse pink letting you know the relaxer is still in the hair. normally it's 3 rinses, but some relaxers take more washes don't just stick to 3 rinses you want to make sure your hair is relaxer free.

I always start from the back of my head, the top and front process quicker because that area holds more body heat, so start from the back, I normally do my nape before I start the top sections, I don't want the relaxer on my nape too long that area doesn't take long to relax at all.

if you cannot apply the relaxer within the time stated on the instructions then I advise you don't do it.

going over the time will result in overprocessed hair.

also when you rinse start from the first area you applied the relaxer first the back and your nape, edges.

you have any other ??? pm me.

longhairlover

your smart by going to a pro, you have lovely hair too, so it pays off.

I don't self texlax, I go to the salon have them use a mild relaxer and time them. 12-14 minutes tops ( I have resistant 3b/c fine strands).

While researching the topic on LHCF I garnered the following:

Practice your technique and timing with conditioner and applicator brush first and when you are comfortable with timing then and only then do you self texlax.

Do a protein treatment a week before you texlax

Mix oil/conditioner to the mild relaxer you are using.

I have no problem speaking up and getting what I pay for at a salon so I make a stylist do it.

MrsHdrLe

Sistaslick also has a thread about applying relaxers. I don't know how to put the link in a post, but if you do a search it should come up (or maybe some ladies here can help with that) it was absoultely helpful
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read SistaSlick's articles: http://www.associatedcontent.com/use...sivasothy.html

There's a thread called "Self Relaxers Support Thread"

Last edited:

Miamori

I don't texlax, I relax, but I think you've gotten a lot of good advice.

I just dropped in to give you some encouragement. I self-relaxed on Monday and it went wonderfully! I still have my hair on my head! :lachen: I was soooo nervous and before I started I almost panicked and told myself I couldn't do it. And once I started, I still almost chickened out. I based myself allllllll over though. I would actually advise that you do that, especially since it's your first time (and particularly if you're clumsy, like I am... I would have had some problems otherwise!).

Hope it goes well!

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Practice your technique and timing with conditioner and applicator brush first and when you are comfortable with timing then and only then do you self texlax.
Good tip. I have some cheap condition to practice with.
Thanks.