Naturals with relaxer straight results

Ms_Twana

I have been having the straightening itch lately. Straight hair envy is a mug!! However, the last time I straightened my hair, I looked like MUFASA. :lachen:It looked great when I finished my section in the back. It basically looked relaxer straight. But by the time I got to the front...POOF went the back section. I didn't use any straighten cremes or anything. I just used the generic versions of biosilk and super skinny before I flat ironed with my Sedu.

So, are there any naturals (who straighten once a month or less) who can acheive silky, bouncy, relaxer straight results....AND keep those results for at least a week??

I'm I being unrealistic??? Is this even possible for a natural that doesn't straighten on a regular basis?? :perplexed

although mine is short i straightened mine and it lasted for nearly two weeks and i coulda kept it longer but i missed my curls....i just use natural oasis herbal hair oil when straightening and my ceramic iron there r pics in my fotki....i actually had people think i had gotten a relaxer :look:

o and i straighten once a month to check progress

:lachen:

Yeah, TJ is definitely a dude. He does have some slamming hair though *represses the green eyed monster* Umph.

ElleDoll explained it nicely.

Clarifying is KEY!

I made the mistake of straightening my hair after an oil rinse with castor oil (call it a natural rookie mistake)...no bueno.

ElleDoll explained it nicely.

Clarifying is KEY!

I made the mistake of straightening my hair after an oil rinse with castor oil (call it a natural rookie mistake)...no bueno.

I agree.I've never oil rinsed before hand but I have tried to press with oil and it wasn't so pretty...:nono:

OP, stretching your hair pre-straightening is key to a relaxer straight finish. And you must coat your hair strands with serum as you straighten your hair.
AND you have to keep your home cool as you straighten your hair, otherwise you will sweat out your roots as your straighten your hair. Which will give you that mufasa look.
And straighten your edges and nape last and add a smidge of EVCO oil to nape and edges. It seals in the serum which will help the hair stay straighter longer.

My pressed hair (see siggy pic) lasts for 2 weeks if I want it too.

What flat iron are you ladies using?? I know one person said Chi. Is anyone using a Maxiglide?? I am thinking about buying one.

Okay ladies. I tried it again...same results. I thought it would be better since it's November, but my hair wasn't going. Getting it straight isn't an issue, because my hair is straight. I just can't stop it from getting big. I want FLAT, SILKY relaxer results.

I'm getting discouraged because I went natural to grow my hair to my goal length, so I could straighten it on a regular basis. But, I can't afford to go to a stylist every two weeks. Besides, in the summer, I still want some texture. I don't want the stringy wash and go that comes along with regular straightening with a stylist.

So is it products, tools, technique?? What keeps the hair from poofing???

ETA: I used SMB, too!!!!

Okay ladies. I tried it again...same results. I thought it would be better since it's November, but my hair wasn't going. Getting it straight isn't an issue, because my hair is straight. I just can't stop it from getting big. I want FLAT, SILKY relaxer results.

I'm getting discouraged because I went natural to grow my hair to my goal length, so I could straighten it on a regular basis. But, I can't afford to go to a stylist every two weeks. Besides, in the summer, I still want some texture. I don't want the stringy wash and go that comes along with regular straightening with a stylist.

What made the Big Difference for me was Coconut & Lime and STEAM!!!!!!

Results in my Fotki.

http://public.fotki.com/samanthajones67/2008-hair-progress/march-2008/march-2008---coconu/

I also used SMB in May... it was great.

Ok I use SMB and it gives me relaxer results all the time now. I say now because it wasn't always like that. After emailing Victor Sabino a lot. I found out that: 1. I was putting too much stuff in my hair before sealing with moisture block. Now I don't put anything in (if you choose to use a leave in make sure it's light). 2. I flat iron small sections. 3. I will tell you the comb chase method will make a world of difference!

Have you tried those three thing? What products are you putting in your hair with the SMB? It wasn't until I did those three things that I was able to get my 4b transitioning hair to look relaxer straight with lots of swing.

I will even say this: the first weekend I was successful at achieving these results I washed, conditioned and applied MB, air dried and flat ironed using combchase method. My hair was flat silky and swinging. This past weekend I washed, conditioned BUT I left conditioner in(perhaps too much), did everything else the same and my hair was silky and smooth but not as flat and swinging. So I can definitely say the products and the amount you use can make a world of difference.

when i straightened on Sunday I started by DCing with Pantene Breakage Defense on dry hair. Then I washed and regular-conditioned with Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight poo and condish. Then after rinsing the condish, I put back in about a quarter size of regular condish into my hair and ran it through (no rinse). I towel-blotted my hair and then parted my hair into 4 sections. I applied SMB to each section, ran the denman brush through to distribute SMB and plaited each section to let air-dry about 75%. THen I got my blow dryer and blew out each of the 4 sections, lightly. Then I start the flat-ironing with my Jilbere Tourmaline Series concave iron on 380-400. I repart my 4 sections into about 8 sections and then I take VERY small parts and flat-iron. It only takes me 1 or 2 passes to get it bone straight. It takes me about 1 1/2-2 hours to finish my head. To me, it looks like I have a relaxer and my hair is bouncy and not greasy.

I think maybe your sections may be to big or you are using too much product in your hair when pressing.

Last edited:
i go to the stylist to get my hair done. its $30 a visit and I go evey 2 weeks. Every always asks do I have a relaxer when I get it flat ironed. She barely uses any product prior to straightening, and I think having really good ends and healthy strands in general will help. cant have swingy hair with chewed up ends. Also she said I had really dense heavy hair. It swings even before my hair is pressed because its "heavy". I dont need any poof products. It stays relatively straight with whatever she uses.

I use a reconstructor and mosturizer every two weeks to avoid heat damage. She doesnt use high heat at all so I dont think my hair will suffer.

Last edited:
i go to the stylist to get my hair done. its $30 a visit and I go evey 2 weeks. Every always asks do I have a relaxer when I get it flat ironed. She barely uses any product prior to straightening, and I think having really good ends and healthy strands in general will help. cant have swingy hair with chewed up ends. Also she said I had really dense heavy hair. It swings even before my hair is pressed because its "heavy". I dont need any poof products. It stays relatively straight with whatever she uses.

I use a reconstructor and mosturizer every two weeks to avoid heat damage. She doesnt use high heat at all so I dont think my hair will suffer.

:yep:I have tried to do it myself and my hair doesn't come out as straight as I would like. But I go to the salon every two weeks (at least in the colder months), and I always get asked if I got a relaxer. I agree with the no products (or little as possible).

Have you tried Mizani Thermasmooth. So far I really like it, I can't say love but it's doing what it claims it'll do. I use a Conair flat iron, I might have to invest in a more expensive one, or try sectioning in smaller sections.

Ok I use SMB and it gives me relaxer results all the time now. I say now because it wasn't always like that. After emailing Victor Sabino a lot. I found out that: 1. I was putting too much stuff in my hair before sealing with moisture block. Now I don't put anything in (if you choose to use a leave in make sure it's light). 2. I flat iron small sections. 3. I will tell you the comb chase method will make a world of difference!

Have you tried those three thing? What products are you putting in your hair with the SMB? It wasn't until I did those three things that I was able to get my 4b transitioning hair to look relaxer straight with lots of swing.

I will even say this: the first weekend I was successful at achieving these results I washed, conditioned and applied MB, air dried and flat ironed using combchase method. My hair was flat silky and swinging. This past weekend I washed, conditioned BUT I left conditioner in(perhaps too much), did everything else the same and my hair was silky and smooth but not as flat and swinging. So I can definitely say the products and the amount you use can make a world of difference.

Okay. This time I pre-pooed with AO Protein conditioner overnight. Then I clarified with Suave, washed and conditioned with CHI color protector system, and DCed under the dryer for 30 minutes with Elasta QP DPR-11. I then rinsed that out, towel dried with microfiber towel, and applied AO direct leave-in. I do everything in 4 sections. So after the leave-in I applied a nickel sized amount of CHI silk infusion to each section, then a nickel sized amount of SMB. I then blow dried with Pink's tension method.

To flat iron, I applied a little more silk infusion to each smaller section before I flat ironed it. I alternated between the chase method, and my Max Sedu (Maxiglide/Sedu combo).

Did I use too much?? I also wondered if I didn't use enough SMB because my hair is SUPER THICK!!! I wonder if a nickel sized amount wasn't enough to coat my strands like they suggest. :perplexed

ETA: For some reason, my hair felt greasy with my wash this time. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Usually after I clarify, my hair feels striped. But it still felt greasy after clarifying and regular shampoo.

Last edited:
Hi Muse, I had a question. I used SMB in my 9 year olds hair and it made it feel real heavy and stiff. I don't mind that for her hair, but I still want my swang. Does it make your hair feel heavy and stiff?

Yeah, that's true LOL...i am so confused on my hair type though lol. Castor Oil is super thick though, and it has been doing great things for my little sister's hair as well ( i would say she is definitely in the 4's and all natural).

Don't use the Chi Silk Infusion AND the SMB. Victor actually said in one of his letters that other serums and protectants aren't as "pure" as SMB and may be diluted with water - which is part of why they're less effective.

I would say add the SMB, detangle thoroughly and use a denman to make sure the SMB is properly distributed. If you must use something before you flat iron you can add a tiiiiiiny bit more of the SMB to just your ends, I usually add a dab more when I'm completely done straightening to protect against reversion.

It does not make my hair feel heavy or stiff. If you check my fotki, I have some pics dated about 6wks after my mini chop last april where I used SMB, I am texlaxed and 5 months post in those.

:yep:I have tried to do it myself and my hair doesn't come out as straight as I would like. But I go to the salon every two weeks (at least in the colder months), and I always get asked if I got a relaxer. I agree with the no products (or little as possible).
yeah I dont have the patience or technique to do it myself so I prefer to just py. it would take me forever as well. No thanks:look:

Thanks for sharing. But your texture is in the 3's and I don't think my hair will look ANYTHING like yours. :lachen:I wish!!!
My hair is a 3 type and acts just like ur hair if the technique isnt done correctly. If I do it myself and get lazy I get the poof factor.:look:

I have been having the straightening itch lately. Straight hair envy is a mug!! However, the last time I straightened my hair, I looked like MUFASA. :lachen:It looked great when I finished my section in the back. It basically looked relaxer straight. But by the time I got to the front...POOF went the back section. I didn't use any straighten cremes or anything. I just used the generic versions of biosilk and super skinny before I flat ironed with my Sedu.

So, are there any naturals (who straighten once a month or less) who can acheive silky, bouncy, relaxer straight results....AND keep those results for at least a week??

I'm I being unrealistic??? Is this even possible for a natural that doesn't straighten on a regular basis?? :perplexed
I only get my hair straightened every 6 months. It looks relaxed but yet I still have a lot of body, bounce and curls. Thankfully I live in a state with very little humidity so my presses have lasted as long as 2 weeks. I had her use this garnier fruitis (sp?) stuff that you apply to keep the frizz down. I will find the name when I get home. She also applied a little bit of straightening wax (not even to way it down or fizz when the iron touches my hair) and something else. I'll ask her. Here is a pic of my last one done in August. HTH Q
100_1322-vi.jpg

Back