Naturals Who Wash in Twists or Braids

Jhuidah

What do you use as a leave in afterwards? I've been experimenting with DCing on twists, but I don't like the way my twists feel once they dry, and the twist-out ends up feeling borderline crunchy.

I'm doing this since I believe I need to up the moisture in my regimen, but when I take the twists down it feels like I'm doing the opposite. I seem to have come to a standstill in terms of my growth/retention; I feel like I've been at the same length for the last year.

I'm wondering if I need to revamp my whole regimen.:nono: I'm just incredibly discouraged right now.

I did a search, but I didn't find anything great.

I wash with EQP creme moisturing shampoo or shampoo for relaxed hair.

Then I deep condition with ORS replenishing.

This is once a week or every other week.

Daily: cowash with a Suave, V05 or Organix, then spritz with Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea, Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1. Sometimes I rub my homemade hair creme, sometimes not.

I noticed when I started committing to doing this daily, my ends stopped being crunchy and were much softer and healthier. My hair, which has no true curl or wave pattern, so to do an S-shaped wave at the end of every single plait I have. This led me to believe that my hair was in desperate need of more moisture. And the Keratin spritz helped a lot because although I am a natural head, my strands are very fine, and are easily split and broken, so protein is something I also needed.

What's in your homemade hair creme?

I have a mixture of medium and fine hairs on my head, so I'm concerned about protein overload on the medium hairs. But I think this leads me to under-proteinate (it's a word now) the fine strands. Maybe I should try more protein and see where that takes me.

I wash my hair in twists.

I DC with a lot of things, including AOHSR, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Jessicurl WDT. I then use a liquid leave in, either Frank Juice, Jane Carter's leave in, or my homemade spritz. I dont' use cremes or butters as a leave in but I use them when I do the twists initially. I just find the application easier with a liquid leave in.

I do have some Greg Juice. I use that when I wash my hair loose--maybe I should try it on the washed twists.

What's in your homemade spritz?

I wash in twists as well. My regimen is prepoo with coconut oil, wash with CON, condition with V05, seal with coconut oil and whipped shea butter. I don't rinse out the V05 completely, so I guess it's technically my leave-in. The detailed regimen is here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blog.php?b=10770#comment54858 . My twists/twistouts feel just fine after airdrying completely.

I think the key is in the products and technique. What products are you using? Are you applying them generously?

After I wash my twists I spray a mix of water, coconut oil, and conditioner on them and then I use shea butter.

Rarely works for me so I wouldn't recommend it.:lachen:

I think I'm being fairly generous with the products I use, since I'm pretty heavy-handed. I have a few different DCs I use, depending on how I feel my hair feels: whether it needs more moisture or protein, or a mix. I don't want to call myself a PJ, because when I find something that works I don't switch it out...but I do like to try new things. :)

I put whatever DC I'm using on dry twists, put a shower cap on, and go about my business for a few hours. Sometimes I get under my dryer, sometimes I don't. Then I rinse in the shower, apply a rinse-out conditioner, shower, rinse my twists, then get out of the shower. I squeeze the excess dampness out, then apply my leave-in and seal.

My twisted washed hair just feels different than loose washed hair, even if I use the same products. It's just strange.

After I wash and deep condish, I apply castor oil or coconut oil to my hair.

I wonder if I should try a heavier oil. I've been using coconut oil, but maybe castor oil would do it. I don't care for the smell, but it might be worth it.

After I wash my twists I spray a mix of water, coconut oil, and conditioner on them and then I use shea butter.

Rarely works for me so I wouldn't recommend it.:lachen:

:nono:Silly! So now I know what not to try.:lachen:

I wish I could wash in my twists but I can't deal with shrinkage and ruining the style I worked so hard on...maybe if I just wash the scalp.

Plaits are a better idea.

That being said I do the C&G technique with big twists rather than loose braids. Works the same.

I cowash, rinseout then put the same conditioner on and leave it. Sometimes I use chloresterol dc instead of conditioner. I don't get moisture overload so it works for me. And my twists don't get dry and crunchy when they dry. I can only seem to do this in twists though. I only do this once a week and I keep my twists which are pretty small and curly in for 1-3 weeks with a 2 week average.

What's in your homemade hair creme?

I have a mixture of medium and fine hairs on my head, so I'm concerned about protein overload on the medium hairs. But I think this leads me to under-proteinate (it's a word now) the fine strands. Maybe I should try more protein and see where that takes me.

Natural butters: avocado, grapeseed, olive, apricot kernel, sweet almond

I randomly mix a combo of these (usually two) with some rice bran oil and a fragrance oil.

The ratio is about 2:1 butter to oil. The rice bran oil works well because it is not as greasy as some oils.

I think I'm being fairly generous with the products I use, since I'm pretty heavy-handed. I have a few different DCs I use, depending on how I feel my hair feels: whether it needs more moisture or protein, or a mix. I don't want to call myself a PJ, because when I find something that works I don't switch it out...but I do like to try new things. :)

I put whatever DC I'm using on dry twists, put a shower cap on, and go about my business for a few hours. Sometimes I get under my dryer, sometimes I don't. Then I rinse in the shower, apply a rinse-out conditioner, shower, rinse my twists, then get out of the shower. I squeeze the excess dampness out, then apply my leave-in and seal.

My twisted washed hair just feels different than loose washed hair, even if I use the same products. It's just strange.

Maybe it's product buildup? It could be harder to wash the products out of twisted hair than loose hair ... so that could be why your loose hair feels better? You might have to tweak your regimen for twisted hair. (Maybe use a gentle shampoo to help remove the product buildup.) That way the products you apply afterwards can be more effective?

I'm not sure, though. It could be a possibility. Hopefully others chime in.

I didn't think it was product build-up since I shampoo or clarify every two or three weeks, but you never know. Maybe I should go back to a weekly shampoo. :scratchch

I'm curious...why do you wash in twists?

I ask myself that every time I do it.:lachen:

I put in twists that typically last about 6 days, then I take them down, wear a one day twist-out, wash my hair, then put them back in. I was trying to add another deep conditioning session to my regimen because I felt like I could use more moisture, so the only way to do that is to DC and wash with the twists in.

I could wear loose hair all the time and not worry about this, but I think that would cause me to retain even less hair than I am now. :(

I wonder if I should try a heavier oil. I've been using coconut oil, but maybe castor oil would do it. I don't care for the smell, but it might be worth it.

:nono:Silly! So now I know what not to try.:lachen:

I like castor a lot, it keeps my hair moisturized much longer!!!! I also will do a hot oil with castor after the deep condish and then rinse.

I ask myself that every time I do it.:lachen:

I put in twists that typically last about 6 days, then I take them down, wear a one day twist-out, wash my hair, then put them back in. I was trying to add another deep conditioning session to my regimen because I felt like I could use more moisture, so the only way to do that is to DC and wash with the twists in.

I could wear loose hair all the time and not worry about this, but I think that would cause me to retain even less hair than I am now. :(

Washing in twists allows me to retain so I won't have to detangle every time I wash and condition.

I occasionally wash in twists when I don't feel like taking my hair out. I spray my hair down with oil, then I apply a tea rinse to the hair (typically a stronger one since I'm not going to manipulate the hair itself). I leave that in for 15-20 minutes, rinse, and then apply a DC spray mix. I took my Sitrinillah and added some oils to it and I saturate the hair with that. I steam for 15 minutes, rinse, and then apply leave-in conditioner. This way, I almost entirely don't manipulate my hair, which helps keep the frizzies down tremendously.

I wash in twist because I work out and sweat a lot. I usually find myself washing pretty much daily. I use deva care or oyin conditioner then rinse that out but not completely. Then I put a little bit of coconut oil in. I am getting more days out of my twist. Retwisting some that need touching up. But I like the puffiness from washing.

I do not have much detangling to do anymore but I don't poo with twists or braids anymore because my hair tends to lock up. I most times apply any conditioner I have on dry hair then conditioner or regular poo{right now using MILK and Honey Conditioner on dry hair with a bit of water to spread it} I wash untwisted, squeeze out most of the water then use Frank, Juices n Berries or Greg juice-marvelous detangling products. I then apply ALBA BOTANICALS leave-in, topped with most often Keo-Karpin oil, once in a while Dabur Amla lite. I feel the Alba does a great job of moisture retention.

I wash in twists because it makes it easier for me to handle the bulk of my hair when detangling & styling.
I sometimes prepoo with coconut oil or amla oil, wash with aussie moist (when I do use poo), condition with aussie moist or Dove intensive or Mane & Tail, seal with coconut oil or some of my Bee Mine Products I love the BEe Mine Luscious). I don't rinse out the conditioner completely, ssometimes I even add more.

I like Kid Organics detangler.

I'm fairly generous with product application because my hair sucks up everything.

I wash and deep condition in natural braids...

After I wash I leave in some conditioner-like suave on my ends, and slather on some coconut oil, and moisturizer..

I spray my scalp with oil and call it a day...

This is a rough draft of my routine that I am currently following..I am actually taking down my 1.5 month (aprox) small braids now and so far so good...

I wash my twists because I've been swimming a lot and working out. It's necessary, I would have too many tangles if I had to wash my hair everyday otherwise. Also it takes less time than detangling everyday.

Thank you ladies for your replies. This is an issue that has bothered me since I started wearing twists, and I haven't been able to find a good solution yet. Hopefully something in here helps. :)

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Back