Naturals Who Use Heat to Straighten

Which is better for straightening natural hair?

• Flat iron

Votes: 268 80.7%
  • Straightening (hot) comb

Votes: 64 19.3%

• Total voters
does anyone know how the miniglide compares to the maxiglide. i know that you cant change the heat setting. but i was wondering if thats really important. i just plan to pass the miniglide over each section once! i dont have the money for a maxiglide now and since ill be doing my hair myself, i think it might be too heavy for me to handle :( help!

JamericanGurl said:
Shameless plug...cough Cough!:lol:
I jus bought a Solia flat iron from www.folica.com, and it's the truth!:up:

I'm natural 3c and 4a. I did my friends hair who is a 4f:lol: Jus kidding I made that texture up cuz that chil have the thickest 20 inch plus mane I have ever seen. When I got it all straight her hair was 20-22 inches.:lol:

I've been sweating that Solia for a long time, I'm going to have to break down and purchase one!

I forgot to vote before posting, however, I basically use a Sedu Flat iron after I blow dry. I don't really think that it gets my hair as straight as I'd like. It's not super shaky and it reverts easily most times I have to put more heat on it after day 2. (I don't like that) :(

So I plan to buy the Maxiglide since my Sedu has worn out after only one year. I hope this helps me with straightening. I retain more length when I avoid the pressing comb.

I'm a 4a natural with shoulder length layered hair.

I had my sister to use her ceramic flat iron on my hair and I got very good results. In the past I would press it with a straighten it with a comb and it would bush back up in two minutes :). With the flat iron, it stayed straight with no touch ups for 4 days. I think flat irons are a bit safer as far as not damaging strands.

Are any naturals continuing to press throughout the summer? I have tried other options, but I have been finding myself itchin for a press...
Right now I have a cornrow two strand style and am trying to hold on.

TrustMeLove said:
I am natural and don't plan on straightening my hair. I've heard of too many cases of the naps not coming back. So you have this straight piece right int he front or in the middle of a bunch of naps. Thats ok you can keep that one jack.

But, I would go with a flat iron if I were going to straighten my hair. Just because you can keep control of the temperature better than a pressing comb.

However, if you purpose in going natural is to just stop using a chemical, but keep straight hair than use a pressing comb.

Yes, or you can use an electric pressing comb.

When I do straighten my hair, which ain't often, I use a flat iron.

I do think that a pressing comb may get the hair even straighter than an FL, but I don't need my hair that straight.

I'm too busy rocking my natural buns anyway to even care at this point :)

I can't believe it! I get to participate on "natural hair" threads. Heehee!

Blossssom said:
Yes, or you can use an electric pressing comb.

When I do straighten my hair, which ain't often, I use a flat iron.

I do think that a pressing comb may get the hair even straighter than an FL, but I don't need my hair that straight.

I'm too busy rocking my natural buns anyway to even care at this point :)

I can't believe it! I get to participate on "natural hair" threads. Heehee!

Welcome to the natural side. :D

Newbie NeshiaImani here:

I also just go to the Dominican salon and get a rollerset and blow out. I have them use my Jane Carter Solution Wrap & Roll for the rollerset and the JCS Natural Hold Spray Gel for the blow out. It's silky for a week (or more). I also use JCS Nourish and Shine twice a week.

The picture of me here is old and my hair is a bit longer now, but generally what it looks like when I get I do the twists rather than a blowout. I'll take some photos of me with the blow out and post sometime.

twists8gq.jpg

I'm a natural and I use my blow dryer RELIGIOUSLY (after almost every wash). I falt iron probably once every 2 months or so...

As far as the rumors about flat ironing too often and the naps not coming back - I don't know. I've been natural for 2 years, been blow drying religiously for 2 years and have just as many "naps" as I did when I started. A lot of probably has to do with the texture and thickness of your hair. My hair is more thick and curly then coarse...so maybe that has something to do with it.

I Recently picked up a T3 Tourmaline Blow Dryer and FLat Iron. Here's the thing. Does it blow dry my hair in less time than my old blow dryer? No. BUT I can now blow dry my hair on LOW heat in the same amount of time and get the same results. Before I was using HIGH heat (as high as the damn thing would go).

The verdict is still out on the flat iron.

My advice - I went out and bought one of those CHI Ultra Flat Irons (Ceramic + Tourmaline). Go get you one. Chi, Solia or Fhi. All of them are Ceramic + Tourmaline. I like the CHI because it doesn't get as hot as the others but does the same job. I returned it because I wanted to try the T3...I'm a dumbass, so I'll be returning to re-purchase it. :/

i use my miniglid- ill be gettin a maxi soon! my hair gets nice and straight since iv been using redken heat glide, its great for protecting too.

I prefer the flat iron because it is easier to regulate the heat. Speaking of CHI, I want to sell my T-3 and get a CHI iron. The T-3 is okay but I think the Chi would get my hair straighter with less pull-thru's. Do any of you have problems getting your hair to hold a curl after flat ironing?

misspriss said:
I have a CHI and I love it! I just can't press my own hair as well with the hot comb.

Question: Do any of yall rollerset and then flat iron? It seems more difficult to do on natural hair than on relaxed hair, but I wanted to try and I wanted to know if anyone got good results this way (if so details please!!!).

I found another thread on this topic, thanks anyway! Carry-on...lol

No, I don't have problems with getting my hair to curl unless my ends are dry.

How are you trying to curl your hair? I usually flatiron my hair at night and then roll it on sponge rollers and I have tons of curls in the morning.

One thing that could be a problem is that your ends may be dry. If ends are dry, they won't curl. So what you can do is moisturize your ends with a water-based moisturizer, seal with an oil and immediately roll it up. Immediately rolling it up will prevent reversion. Or you could try any other moisturizer that's not water-based.

OT but has to do with subject: Today my teacher (a white man around 59 yrs old) said that his favorite invention when he was younger that he couldn't live without was the PRESSING COMB/HOT COMB:eek: This man has straight type 1 blond hair w/ no type of curl or wave pattern, so what in the hell was he using a hot comb for?:lachen: Then he said his mother always told him not to use the hot comb because he would burn his hair out, now he is balding at the top with the one piece plastered over the top of his forehead:lachen: I would've never imagined him saying this ever...this is hilarious to me....he is a stuck up pain in the butt older white man who used to press his hair:lol:

mermaid said:
I don't use either tool, I use a regular curling iron to press. It gets a tighter grip and gets closer to the roots.

Ditto!!! :up: My good old hot tools curling iron never fails me. I've had it since 1998 and it was already previously owned. I love it!!!

A stylist can always get my hair straight with a flat iron, but it doesn't work as well for me. I don't think I have the temp high enough, but even when i do put it on high, it's still not as silky as I'd like. :ohwell: Balisi did a great job of flat ironing my hair. :) I need to make an appointment. :phone:

kitchen_tician said:
Ditto!!! :up: My good old hot tools curling iron never fails me. I've had it since 1998 and it was already previously owned. I love it!!!

A stylist can always get my hair straight with a flat iron, but it doesn't work as well for me. I don't think I have the temp high enough, but even when i do put it on high, it's still not as silky as I'd like. :ohwell: Balisi did a great job of flat ironing my hair. :) I need to make an appointment. :phone:

Me too, tician. I think I'm too nervous to set the heat high enough. At the salon, I'm blissfully ignorant to what heat setting my stylist uses.

I use flat irons to press my natural growth. I'm a 7 mo. transitioner trying to decide on my next move, so this discussion is good.

balisi said:
Without a doubt, flatirons are my choice for straigtening hair with heat. Temperature control is a no-brainer with most irons and the typical results are straighter, smoother hair than you get from a pressing comb.

:up: Absolutely, trust Balisi she's a hair master:yep: !

melodee said:
Me too, tician. I think I'm too nervous to set the heat high enough. At the salon, I'm blissfully ignorant to what heat setting my stylist uses.

I use flat irons to press my natural growth. I'm a 7 mo. transitioner trying to decide on my next move, so this discussion is good.

Yeah, I'm just too scared. :( I guess I'd rather let someone else burn it up than me. Then I'll just come here, vent and blame them. :lol: Of course not Balisi, she's good. :up:

I experienced my first flat iron (self) that turned out relly nice. I air dryed first and then blew it out really straight. Then I took my time and flat ironed in 2 inch sections and then finally went through with it on low heat and bumped it.

It really turned out nice...

ETA - I used an IONIC blow dryer and FHI iron.

I say the flat iron, as long as it is temperature controlled. I had trouble with some areas of my hair staying straight after I let my beautician (former beautician now) flat iron my hair because she used the kind that you put on the little stove and I think that she was letting it get too hot. I ended up cutting a lot of the strands out because I prefer to wash and go and it looked a hot mess with all the straight strands.

I press my hair with a hot comb and never had a problem with the curl bouncing back. I press every 2 months and my hair is past bra scrape length. I blow dry my hair on low heat using the ionic blow dryer then I press with the hot comb and my hair get silky straight. My curls aren't affected at all and the hot comb isn't really hot. It definitely doesn't make the white paper turn brown.

I just flat ironed my hair that is virgin and fresh out of braids. I am back in an afro today.

I'm going to get the old pressing comb out. I know my hair is still very porous so I am gong to order an old standby from back in the day, Fermodyl leave in conditioner.

I'm interested in the Maxiglide iron. I have to get a relaxer as soon as possible because this nappy head things is for the birds (no offense, I'm cranky because I can't workout until I can get my hair to stay straight!!

Janet in Atlanta

I am a natural pressed. My last relaxer was in 1990 since then I have had my hair pressed in the salon on/off 1-2x/month but of lately I go every 3 months and just use my Maxiglide to help straighten with Redken heat glide (excellent product). Like others have said I don't get the results as a pressing comb gives :cool: , but it is straight enough for me. I am trying to cut back heat use and just air dry but hard on some days to style (usually I have a bun style):ohwell: ...one must practice & practice different styles to see what works

There is a lady at my church with BSL and she's all natural. She uses a hot comb for her roots and a flat iron for the length. The only product she uses is Redken Clear Moisture. She has very beautiful hair.

Chayil

Does anyone use the glass mini flat iron? I purchased an Infiniti 1/4 " glass plated one by Conair last year and just got up the courage to t use it today. I do not know how often I will use it. My strands were getting too clingy on the ends and strong and thick. It was difficult to even comb through without breakage. bonjour

I use an electric pressing comb with heat control. It is usually set on medium low to medium. I've had no problems with my natural curl being lost when I shampoo. My skill with the flat iron is not well developed, and I just get frustrated when I use it.

Back