Naturals who Color

bluebearfanatic

For Naturals who color, I have a couple of questions?

Do you use a permanent or semi permanent color?

Also did you experience any drying?

Did you note that the products were harsh to your hair?

How long did the color last?

If you have colored your hair more than once, how often do you color?

Did you go to a salon?, If so what type, salon catering to naturals or a Dominican one?

I ask because I'm considering putting a color in my hair. I have about 10% grey, since going natural I have noticed more grey strands in my hair. I've also wanted to color my hair a shade of brown. I'm not coloring my hair to cover my grey hair, I just want something different. I rarely go to salons which is why I'm unsure where to go for my color. I'm really nervous! TIA! :look:

Great thread! Here's my situation. Have been natural for a whole lot of years....like more than 20. Wore "wash and go's" until three months ago but now rollersets. When I was wearing wash and go, I would apply the color myself. I would try not to overlap. Preferred a no ammonia type because it was easy on the hair. The brand I was using was discontinued and then I moved to Colorsilk. The combination of coloring, washing hair 4x-5x a week made hair extremely dry and fragile. I would blow dry every 9 weeks and have at least an inch cut off.

Now into rollersetting and deep conditioning---using a salon. Don't know the brand but it's a semi. I only want to color the front hairline...the rest is camoflouage in the middle so it's O.K. It lasts about 4 weeks but I "stretch" until I have at least an inch of gray showing.

By the way, coloring even the semi does relax my hair a bit. I definitely can't press or use direct heat like flat ironing if I color...hair will go flat!

My Salon is a regular African-American salon that has no problem rollersetting natural hair. She then removes the magnetic rollers clamp lines with the back of the curling iron. I asked her about Matrix PRISM today and she stated that it wouldn't cover my grey. She uses it though for thoses without grey. Would love to know others who successful use Matrix PRISM to remove the grey.

Last edited:
Do you use a permanent or semi permanent color? Permanent. (I got highlights)

Also did you experience any drying? My dyed areas are no drier than my non-dyed areas.

Did you note that the products were harsh to your hair? Nope

How long did the color last? It's still there. It got brighter, as was expected.

If you have colored your hair more than once, how often do you color? I've only done it once, and it was on impulse. I've been thinking about doing it again, but the salon charges by length (and possibly by texture), and as a 4b natural whose hair isn't getting shorter or looser, I'm weary of the $$$

Did you go to a salon?, If so what type, salon catering to naturals or a Dominican one? AVEDA! they have a formula for "Afro-ethnic hair" it's 95% natural. I wish I could find a link, but Aveda's website is hard to navigate.

Do you use a permanent or semi permanent color? Permanent. I have highlights.

Also did you experience any drying? No, but the colored parts look frizzier sometimes.

Did you note that the products were harsh to your hair? No.

How long did the color last? I got them done in September and they're still there.

If you have colored your hair more than once, how often do you color? This was the 1st time I colored my hair.

Did you go to a salon?, If so what type, salon catering to naturals or a Dominican one? Yes I went to a salon. But it was a white salon that specialized in color.

I know you did not ask this, but I have had an allergic reaction to Bigen. I cannot stop scratching my scalp. I've tried it x 3, each time I thought it was something else. So be careful if you are considering this haircolor.

Semi permanent Clairol Natural Instincts. I covers grey really well.

yes. I just make sure I deep condition more often.

No

It last around three months for me. The box says 28 shampoos.

I haven't used it in about 6 months because I want to try Color Showers.

Did you go to a salon?, If so what type, salon catering to naturals or a Dominican one? No I did it at home.

Do you use a permanent or semi permanent color? I use a Demi Permanent color - Natural Instincts.

Also did you experience any drying? Yes, I did but not too much more than I already had. DCing corrects dryness.

Did you note that the products were harsh to your hair? Not harsh, did not change strand coils-still nappy.

How long did the color last? The color lasts a long time-longer than the 28 washes it says on the box. Actually Clairol states that the darker colors will be almost permanent and I agree with that.

If you have colored your hair more than once, how often do you color? I color every 2 or 3 months when enough grey roots are showing.

Did you go to a salon?, If so what type, salon catering to naturals or a Dominican one? I do this at home. Have never had coloring at a salon. If going lighter, I would go to a salon, but I stay in the darker shade ranges.

I was very nervous too, but I didn't have any bad reactions and I didn't want to stay/go grey yet:).

:bump: this thread up.....This is an informative thread for me too, cause I'm going to be coloring with T&T within the next two weeks.

wow..thanks for the responses ladies. Very informational. I'm nervous about doing it on my own so I'll definitely go to a salon. A semi-permanent and a rinse is the same thing right? or am I wrong?!?

Permanent - usually feria.

Dryness wasn't even the word for it. Desert-like, more appropiately.

My hair actually LIKED the color - initially. It didn't show it's negatives until about 2-3 months down the road - about the time I would be due for a touchup of my roots.

Until it grew out - my hair is resistant, but once it takes, it took.

Hrm - I colored about ever 4-6 months or so, maybe?

Did you go to a salon?, If so what type, salon catering to naturals or a Dominican one?
No, and I think that might have been the only thing that would have made the color experience better - I'm a self colorer....

I ask because I'm considering putting a color in my hair. I have about 10% grey, since going natural I have noticed more grey strands in my hair. I've also wanted to color my hair a shade of brown. I'm not coloring my hair to cover my grey hair, I just want something different. I rarely go to salons which is why I'm unsure where to go for my color. I'm really nervous! TIA! :look:

I used to color. I stopped because it was killing my hair.

Two years ago I had my hair professionally colored. He did a great job in layering the color. He used Redken products. I really enjoyed the outcome. I did not notice any drying effects. I do notice now that the very strands of colored hair don't look as nice when it is straighted as the darker hair. Darker hair always looked healthier to me.

wow..thanks for the responses ladies. Very informational. I'm nervous about doing it on my own so I'll definitely go to a salon. A semi-permanent and a rinse is the same thing right? or am I wrong?!?

No they're different. There's also a such thing as a demi permanent dye. Rinses aren't really dye persay. They just kind of coat the hair. I think they only last 6-8 shampoos.

I believe a rinse is even more temporary than a semi or demi. But since I'm not a stylist I'm not positive. Maybe some else can clarify.

No they're different. There's also a such thing as a demi permanent dye. Rinses aren't really dye persay. They just kind of coat the hair. I think they only last 6-8 shampoos.

So I'm better off with a semi-permanent then. How long does the permanent dye last vs. semi-permanent? Glam, when you did highlights what kind of dye did you use? Also did you notice a change in your curl pattern?

Do you use a permanent or semi permanent color? Permanent

Also did you experience any drying? A bit way down the road

Did you note that the products were harsh to your hair? Not really

How long did the color last? Forever, I have a tiny bit left to cut off.

If you have colored your hair more than once, how often do you color? NA

Did you go to a salon?, If so what type, salon catering to naturals or a Dominican one? I did my own coloring with Xpressions by Bigen.

Did you go to a salon?, If so what type, salon catering to naturals or a Dominican one? AVEDA! they have a formula for "Afro-ethnic hair" it's 95% natural. I wish I could find a link, but Aveda's website is hard to navigate.

interesting... i was just thinking of going to Aveda to get my hair colored... :scratchch

So I'm better off with a semi-permanent then. How long does the permanent dye last vs. semi-permanent? Glam, when you did highlights what kind of dye did you use? Also did you notice a change in your curl pattern?

The permanent lasts longer. He used the salons line of products. I don't know the name but it was 2 steps. It was a lightener (which I'm going to assume was peroxide/bleach) and then a color glaze. The glaze was the shade I chose. I haven't noticed a change in my curl pattern though. I had it done about 6 months ago.

Do you use a permanent or semi permanent color? Permanent.
Also did you experience any drying? Not really
Did you note that the products were harsh to your hair? No
How long did the color last? I have not had it done long enough to tell
If you have colored your hair more than once, how often do you color? This is my first time

I used Textures & Tones

Do you use a permanent or semi permanent color? Permanent, I have highlightes

Also did you experience any drying? No not really

How long did the color last? I still have them

Did you go to a salon?, If so what type, salon catering to naturals or a Dominican one? I went to an black owned and operated salon. They do both natural and relaxed hair

Do you use a permanent or semi permanent color? Permanent, I have highlightes

Also did you experience any drying? No not really

How long did the color last? I still have them

Did you go to a salon?, If so what type, salon catering to naturals or a Dominican one? I went to an black owned and operated salon. They do both natural and relaxed hair

Which salon did you go to? I live in New York also.

Back