Naturals that Colored Your Tresses- Notice a Difference

Country gal

Have any of the naturals that colored their hair, did you notice a change in hair texture? A stylist told Hopeful that permanent color changes your hair texture. I like my napps so I don't want to revert.

Country gal said:
Have any of the naturals that colored their hair, did you notice a change in hair texture? A stylist told Hopeful that permanent color changes your hair texture. I like my napps so I don't want to revert.
no... its only added 'goodness' to my hair. in fact it started feeling softer and nearly always looks shinier on my dyed parts!

I'm not natural, but when they colored my relaxed hair I did have a lot of new growth. The new growth did seem smoother and the curls seemed more refined. They were still naps though.

I had a stylist tell me the same thing. I guess it depends on what type of color you use. Just make sure you check the ingredients...

I'm curious about this too. Are you all referring to highlights as well or just brown colors? I'm not ready to color any time soon, but my colored relaxed ends will eventually be gone and I know I'll want to color my natural hair some point.

I wonder if it is all in the dye. I think I may keep my appointment with Aveda since Nappurality members seem to rave about the products.

kitchen_tician said:
I'm curious about this too. Are you all referring to highlights as well or just brown colors? I'm not ready to color any time soon, but my colored relaxed ends will eventually be gone and I know I'll want to color my natural hair some point.
for me i think it was the bleach in the dye- i self dyed mine red. its called 'Smart Colour' on the box the said that it could be used on black and asin hair so i gave it a try, im happy i did. the dye that i used before that (was L'oreal feria) it left my hair im a real state so be carefull with what you use. it should be fine if you get it done at the salon. my saving grace was the dax veggie oil shampoo (now its a keeper for my hair first aid kit!)

Country gal said:

I think that lightening your hair a lot of shades can change the texture. My former stylist at an Aveda salon was wary of putting highlights in my hair. He was afraid that the texture would change, i.e. loosing curl, since he'd have to basically bleach those part since my hair is dark. So he just dyed my new growth to match the color that was already on my ends (that's the reddish color you've seen :))

I did notice more dryness with lighter colored hair. I had semipermanent darker color put on all over my hair a couple of months ago and noticed that my hair was not as dry as before.

Now I have a lot of newgrowth so dryness hasn't really been an issue lately (semipermanent color wore off quickly too). One good thing about coloring your hair is that you can easily see how much growth you've had. That's always encouraging to see of course. I haven't lightened my hair since June so it's cool to see all the newgrowth b/c it is hard to see how much your natural hair has grown sometimes.

Taken from MotownGirl's site at this link: http://motowngirl.com/color.php

Permanent hair color/Level 3

Permanent dyes will change your hair color from lighter to darker or from darker to lighter depending upon what your preference is. This type of dye contains hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. These ingredients allow for your natural hair color to be lifted and for the new color to be deposited all in one step.
Permanent hair color can be damaging. The risk with natural hair is that it can also somewhat loosen your texture. This is not always the case but it happens to some, so you may want to consider this if you desire permanent hair color.
All permanent hair colors do not contain both hydrogen peroxide and ammonia – some only contain hydrogen peroxide - these are the better choices as they will be gentler than the hair dyes that contain both. Permanent hair coloring can truly rob the hair of moisture so deep conditioning and extra moisturizing is an absolute must!
You can choose to do highlights with a permanent hair color rather than an all-over color but highlights are very difficult to achieve at home simply because you are not equipped with the tools that professionals have nor do you have the training to achieve beautiful highlight effects. I recommend a professional.

prettyinpurple said:
I think that lightening your hair a lot of shades can change the texture. My former stylist at an Aveda salon was wary of putting highlights in my hair. He was afraid that the texture would change, i.e. loosing curl, since he'd have to basically bleach those part since my hair is dark. So he just dyed my new growth to match the color that was already on my ends (that's the reddish color you've seen :))

I did notice more dryness with lighter colored hair. I had semipermanent darker color put on all over my hair a couple of months ago and noticed that my hair was not as dry as before.

Now I have a lot of newgrowth so dryness hasn't really been an issue lately (semipermanent color wore off quickly too). One good thing about coloring your hair is that you can easily see how much growth you've had. That's always encouraging to see of course. I haven't lightened my hair since June so it's cool to see all the newgrowth b/c it is hard to see how much your natural hair has grown sometimes.

I love your hair color. It complements your complexion very well. It doesn't hurt that you have beautiful skin too. Good point about being able to visibly see the new growth.

Poohbear said:
Taken from MotownGirl's site at this link: http://motowngirl.com/color.php

Permanent hair color/Level 3

Permanent dyes will change your hair color from lighter to darker or from darker to lighter depending upon what your preference is. This type of dye contains hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. These ingredients allow for your natural hair color to be lifted and for the new color to be deposited all in one step.
Permanent hair color can be damaging. The risk with natural hair is that it can also somewhat loosen your texture. This is not always the case but it happens to some, so you may want to consider this if you desire permanent hair color.
All permanent hair colors do not contain both hydrogen peroxide and ammonia – some only contain hydrogen peroxide - these are the better choices as they will be gentler than the hair dyes that contain both. Permanent hair coloring can truly rob the hair of moisture so deep conditioning and extra moisturizing is an absolute must!
You can choose to do highlights with a permanent hair color rather than an all-over color but highlights are very difficult to achieve at home simply because you are not equipped with the tools that professionals have nor do you have the training to achieve beautiful highlight effects. I recommend a professional.

Thanks Pooh. WOW! :eek:

I've colored my hair here and there several times over all these years. Some colors do change the texture of your hair. Some leave your hair just as healthy others damage your hair.

I find that colored hair definitely needs a LOT of extra care and in my case, the strands are more prone to splits. Just as with any chemical service, overlapping leads to greater problems.

I'm trying to give it up. I'm planning on cutting off the last of my color this weekend. It's only on the tips, a few centimeters or so. It looks cool when my twists and coils end in these reddish tips, but when I examine them I see a lot of damage. I never really thought about growing my hair out before so the color wasn't an issue. But now, I know that color and growth may not be able to coexist on my head.

Let me know how the Aveda appointment goes. If they're able to color without damage, I might get my fix that way.

~p1

I WILL SAY I COLOR MY NATURAL 4A/B HAIR AND IT DEF CHANGED THE TEXTURE A BIT..IT IS MUCH SOFTER AND I WOULD EVEN SAY MORE MANAGEABLE…BUT IT IS A JOB HANDLING COLORED TRESSES- I USE A LEAVE-IN COND. AND TEA TREE-OIL EVERY DAY…MY PROBLEM IS I LIKE TO CHANGE COLORS A LOT AND THIUS FAR MY HAIR HAS BEEN HOLDING UP BUT I DON’T WANT TO TAKE IT TOO FAR.. I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED A CORRECT ANSWER ON HOW SOON IS TOO SOON TO APPLY ANOTHER PERM-COLOR TO YOUR HAIR??????????
BUT….I AM ROCKING A TEXTURES/TONES LIGHT GOLDEN BROWN HUE AND IT IS PERFECT FOR THE SPRING TIME IN NYC….BUT I AM PRAYING THAT ALL MY HAIR STAYS ON MY HEAD…..

It can change your texture esp. if you're lightening your hair. IMO prof. colorists (whites) always want to use bleach to lift your hair, when in reality you don't need bleach to completely lift your hair. What they usually do is lift your hair and then apply the color that you want on the lifted hair, they do it that way because it's easier to control the results, your hair will be the color of the dye because they first lifted all the color out of your hair. Personally a good level 3 color (Textures & Tones is my fave) can bring up your hair a color w/o bleaching it, the difference is, you will have to do a strand (or harvested hair) test to see how long it will take for you to get your desired color.

hair color did not change my naps at all. It did make my hair drier than it normally is, but that's it. Edited to say that i only color once or twice a year.

I had problems with coloring my relaxed hair. I was hoping that being natural would make it easier to color with less damage. I may need to rethink the color thing.

Country gal said:
I love your hair color. It complements your complexion very well. It doesn't hurt that you have beautiful skin too. Good point about being able to visibly see the new growth.

Aww thanks girl.

Hopefully I'll have some time to call Aveda Inistitute this weekend to make an appointment. I'm kinda itching to get some new color too. Then we can compare results :)

Country gal said:

Hey Country gal, i did not use a real color but with Bigen oriental black i noticed the rinse elongated my hair, it did make it softer but elongated twistouts and even in my wash i noticed less shrinkage. i know its a dye so i do think it helped showing the length. The hair was elastic and shiny i did add evoo in the rinse though. I may use that often to get less shrinkage. But when i bleached blond on natural hair last year then it was so drastic the 4b hair ressembled a texturizer. it was all curly short. so after i did texturized it to accentuate. so drastic colors do change the texture completely were you to go to a platinum blond. i did a white white blond but only on short hair and for just a couple of months.( i had mixed a bag of loreal white with 40 developper though)

Last edited:
Country gal, why don't you start with just coloring a few strategically selected pieces (you know maybe the pieces you had planned to highlight) and see how your hair reacts, that way you can get an idea of how your hair reacts to color without taking a risk on your entire head of hair. I can see you really want some color. When I was relaxed I used to get dark blondish highlights all the time and even though the highlighted pieces were drier I suffered minimal damaged since most of my hair was untouched.

Permanent color can definitely change the texture of hair. I highlighted my own hair with the use of bleach and noticed that those pieces were slightly straighter, but it did not cause me any problems, especially since I was sure to condition it well immediately afterwards.

I think you should go for it. Your hair appears to be very thick and in good condition. As long as your hair is not bleached out to a high level, (not recommended) it should be just fine. Hopeful's suggestion is a very good one, too.

Maybe I will just do highlights but make sure they don't lift to high. I just want color so I can really sport my fro.

I have heard that bleaching can change your hair texture, but I have tried every color under the rainbow when I was younger and I've never noticed any difference in texture. I think it depends on your hair also, if strands are fine and sensitive they might react more, I don't know.

My curl pattern loosened up a lil and I liked the change. I need a touch up like today! I have about 4 inches of black new growth and the old color is dull w/o my Jheri juice. :lachen:

I have always colored my natural hair ....first a blond and now a red head infact I am in need of a top up but not sure what color I want to be this spring and summer. I must say that my hair is more managable after a color especially when done at the salon when I do my own color it is more rough so I tend to get my hair colored professionally the next time

Motivator01 said:
I have always colored my natural hair ....first a blond and now a red head infact I am in need of a top up but not sure what color I want to be this spring and summer. I must say that my hair is more managable after a color especially when done at the salon when I do my own color it is more rough so I tend to get my hair colored professionally the next time

I can't do my own hair. I still have flashbacks to my African Pride color highlights. I think professional color job will be okay.

i had my hair lifted last july and it didn't change my texture at all... just made it drier. Pretty color though! Just saying it doesn't always affect one's texture.

I think mine was a semi-perm though... not a perm... and I lifted from dark brown to auburn... I didn't go blonde.

Last edited:
:eek: Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it!!!!!!!!Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!
I dyed my hair and got major damage. It changed my texture. some of my hair went completly straight. as my hair grew my new growth was a diffrant texture which made for breakage. I had to grow my hair out so I could cut the bad ends off. So I basicly had to transition a gain.:mad:

It was not worth it. I think of all the time I spent getting my hair to a healthy state. Then messed it up with color and ended up starting over.:look:

enjoy your hair as it is.;) Trust me I do know.

nap2bfree

nap2bfree said:
:eek: Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it!!!!!!!!Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!
I dyed my hair and got major damage. It changed my texture. some of my hair went completly straight. as my hair grew my new growth was a diffrant texture which made for breakage. I had to grow my hair out so I could cut the bad ends off. So I basicly had to transition a gain.:mad:

It was not worth it. I think of all the time I spent getting my hair to a healthy state. Then messed it up with color and ended up starting over.:look:

enjoy your hair as it is.;) Trust me I do know.

nap2bfree
nap, what type of color did you get? How light did you go? Who did it? Details, please. :p

I have natural hair and I color it with Clairol Natural Instincts in Egyption Plum or Rosewood --both dark reddish brown colors. This is a demi-permanent I think. My hair is not damaged and the texture hasn't changed at all. I do deep conditioning treatments a lot though so that could be why I haven't had the dryness. I have been coloring it for about 1 1/2 years now to cover gray and never had any damage. I am just hoping I don't eventually develop an allergy to the chemicals in the dye. I have eczema and allergies and so far, so good! I am really pleased with the results.

Before I started using the Natural Instincts (NI), I tried rinses by Clairol Beautiful Collections and another color called Adorable---they didn't work too well on the greys and I could barely see it on my dark hair so I switched to something a little stronger. The NI washes out a little, but not completely--the box says it lasts 28 washes. I color every 2 months to get the roots and to cover my grey streak which comes out as a highlight against the darker hair.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do :)!

Back