Naturals… what sort of reactions do you get when you straighten your hair?

Last time I straightened, an older white woman I work with stopped me and said, "Wow! I just love it when you people switch up your hairstyles." I was too much in shock by the "you people" to respond with anything but a polite smile. Outside of that, I get the oohs and ahhs and the "I like your hair straight" comments, but it doesn't matter because I ooh and ahh my curly hair all by myself.

One of the reasons I don't like straightening my hair is the because of the overwhelming attention I get. People are amazing at how long and thick it is. However, I wouldn't say that people think your hair looks a hot mess when its natural, its just a drastic change when you straighten it and people respond to drastic changes.

For example a white coworker of has curly hair and normally wears it curly, last week she got a cut and straightened it and people were ooohhing and awwwing over her hair too which she quickly responded, it will be curly again next week. (I know the feeling). Another girl work with is natural and wears her hair straight, when she wore it curly she got the same attention and people were telling her you should wear it natural more often (not just other naturals either).

I said all that to say that I don't think that we should assume that people think the worst about our natural hair or prefer that we confirm (although there will always be some who do), people just respond to change.

Uniqzoe
you areso right. i wear my natural hair straight 90% of the time.wheni do wear it natural, i get the oohs and aaahs and attention, and this suits you much better :yep:

I know how each of my friends prefer my hair... L and K like it big and curly. Most of my guy friends prefer my braidouts. One friend, S likes it straight. I always tell her I did it just for her. :lol: Whenever she sees it curly again she asks "you cut your hair?"...I've explained skrinkage so many times and she just doesn't get it...she's a BKT'd wavy haired girl herself. :look:

One of my black male friend is always amazed when I straighten- "wow, you have hair!" "you should teach all black women about hair," "I thought you had dread locks"...sometimes I feel like I shouldn't have to explain it all to him. :look:

manter26 said:
I know how each of my friends prefer my hair... L and K like it big and curly. Most of my guy friends prefer my braidouts. One friend, S likes it straight. I always tell her I did it just for her. :lol: Whenever she sees it curly again she asks "you cut your hair?"...I've explained skrinkage so many times and she just doesn't get it...she's a BKT'd wavy haired girl herself. :look:

One of my black male friend is always amazed when I straighten- "wow, you have hair!" "you should teach all black women about hair," "I thought you had dread locks"...sometimes I feel like I shouldn't have to explain it all to him. :look:

Lol. Your friends are silly.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LHCF

My hair is natural and I straighten it occasionally.

I've noticed that when I'm out with my big natural hair, I get a lot of compliments from strangers. However, the people who see me with natural hair all the time, compliment it more when I straighten it. I think it's the change that people notice, not neccessarility that they are dissing my natural hair. It's just that they see it natural all the time, so it's just my regular, everyday hair, nothing special about that.

Just because someone says they like your straight hair, doesn't mean that they don't like your natural hair...

I change my hair a lot and hardly ever wear my own hair. But when I do I get tons of compliments whether its natural or straight.
I have also noticed that different types of men approach me depending on my hairstyle. Some are so fascinated with the natural hair and others are more 'comfortable' with the straight hair because they dont know anything about the curls or have that negative stigma towards it.

I have found that certain women will make some type of negative comment like 'it looks better straight' or whatever but those who appreciate it love it and want to touch.

But again for the most part I tend to just get complimented. I like to watch the different reactions I get from different people.

Back