Naturals… what sort of reactions do you get when you straighten your hair?

Kinkyhairlady

Since I’ve been natural I’ve only straighten my hair twice at the salon for that sleek look. The first time my hair was cut so short I did not wear it down and this past weekend I got it straighten and a small trim, I’m wearing it out. I am amazed at the compliments and attention I’m getting. Honestly I am not too happy because I’m starting to wonder how my hair must look when It is in its natural state. My coworkers are so blown away male and female and I’m like gosh I must of looked a hot arse mess before. Funny thing is I don’t even care for straight hair. I love big full hair and my hair is not as full straight as it is natural. I hate all of the hoops I have to jump through just to be accepted in this society. You try to be yourself and no one blinks but as soon as you alter something everyone wants to be your friend. Yes this goes for the gentleman on the train who don’t look twice at me but all of the sudden want to stare the whole ride. Smh!

Kinkyhairlady said:
Since I’ve been natural I’ve only straighten my hair twice at the salon for that sleek look. The first time my hair was cut so short I did not wear it down and this past weekend I got it straighten and a small trim, I’m wearing it out. I am amazed at the compliments and attention I’m getting. Honestly I am not too happy because I’m starting to wonder how my hair must look when It is in its natural state. My coworkers are so blown away male and female and I’m like gosh I must of looked a hot arse mess before. Funny thing is I don’t even care for straight hair. I love big full hair and my hair is not as full straight as it is natural. I hate all of the hoops I have to jump through just to be accepted in this society. You try to be yourself and no one blinks but as soon as you alter something everyone wants to be your friend. Yes this goes for the gentleman on the train who don’t look twice at me but all of the sudden want to stare the whole ride. Smh!

That's a damn shame. I am sure you are just as pretty w/ ur natural hair smh

From natural haired black people: "Ooh! It looks really nice! So how long are you wearing it like that? How long have you been natural? blah blah"

From heat trained naturals/relaxed haired black people: "OMG it looks so nice! Why don't you straighten it more often?" or "why are you hiding all that pretty hair? See, if you'd just straighten it..."

From white people: "Wow! I just can't get over how much longer it is when it's straight!"

Oh, that's just the women. I don't think I've ever had a dude comment on my hair when it's straight (then again, it's only been straight 3 times since I've been natural lol). But I do know that men will come up to me and compliment my hair when it's in its natural state.

One of the reasons I don't like straightening my hair is the because of the overwhelming attention I get. People are amazing at how long and thick it is. However, I wouldn't say that people think your hair looks a hot mess when its natural, its just a drastic change when you straighten it and people respond to drastic changes.

For example a white coworker of has curly hair and normally wears it curly, last week she got a cut and straightened it and people were ooohhing and awwwing over her hair too which she quickly responded, it will be curly again next week. (I know the feeling). Another girl work with is natural and wears her hair straight, when she wore it curly she got the same attention and people were telling her you should wear it natural more often (not just other naturals either).

I said all that to say that I don't think that we should assume that people think the worst about our natural hair or prefer that we confirm (although there will always be some who do), people just respond to change.

The one time I had my hair straightened at a salon, they all told me I looked SO much better with straight hair and I should do it more often. Like really? You're professionals. Who says that?! And guess who never went back there? This chick right here.

I wear my hair in braidouts and buns... When I straighten my hair (which is maybe once every other month, if even that..) I always get:

"OMG, you did your hair". I get this all of the time. It cracks me up, I always ask: "so my hair wasn't done before?".

My idea of hair that isn't "done" is hair that is wrapped in a scarf...I guess the rest of the world has a different interpretation.

My reactions will come in December when i straighten for my graduation. Hopefully i'll be BSL and i know jaws will be dripping and mouths drooling.....oh those expressions will be a kodak moment.

NikkiQ said:
The one time I had my hair straightened at a salon, they all told me I looked SO much better with straight hair and I should do it more often. Like really? You're professionals. Who says that?! And guess who never went back there? This chick right here.

Actually the stylist that did my hair basically said the same thing. She goes you look pretty with your hair straighten you should do it more often. She did a great job but that comment was bitter sweet.

I've heard all of these comments and more. However, this past Sunday, I was approach and told the following: "Wow, your hair looks great like this! I love it like this, but then again I love the way you wear it all the time!"

His comment took me by surprise as I've been told many times in the past, "why don't you wear it straight more often?"

Actually the stylist that did my hair basically said the same thing. She goes you look pretty with your hair straighten you should do it more often. She did a great job but that comment was bitter sweet.

Stylists tend to be biased in favor of sleek looking, laid down, or flashy type styles. Straight weaves and elaborate cuts make them most of their money, I wouldn't take it personally.

For example, my stylist isn't that fond of the natural movement.. kinda obvious why :lol:

"OMG is that all your hair??" or "You got pieces in

The latest was from my cousin, "When you walked in, i said, oh hair looks nice, but its a weave".

IDK why i get weave checked so much, and I am only a little past APL. Not even that long.

I don't blame you, I wouldn't have gone back either.

A friend once told me my hair looked much better straight. I asked why and he said "because it doesn't look...afro". I was so annoyed but he's got self hate issues so I didn't really care. Most people say my hair looks so nice but make a point to say they still prefer it 'afro'.

Last time I straightened, I got weave checked. The kind where they act like they want to touch your hair but go for your scalp. That pissed me off because I didn't invite him into my scalp. Needless to say I don't talk to him anymore. Its really not that serious and people did have long hair before weave became so popular.

Fortunately I haven't encountered this too much except with one friend who kept saying how much better my hair looked when it was straight. I was sooooo annoyed but I just basically ignored her.

My family is fairly used to my hair at this point so they remain un-phased...finally :giggle:

My former students would go in though !!!

I'd get weave checked by the female students I've known since birth; there's only 3 of them, but they'd never skip a chance to search out a track or two. :lol:

My old male students would fuss at me for having hair & not wearing it down when there's so many balding women in the world. They'd tickle me the most because they'd break into debates regarding why I'm doing the world a disservice by not wearing my hair straight, but then they'd clean it up & say they could tell I had a lot of hair in it's natural state too so I get a pass... :look:

From my other former female students I'd get a mixture of "she has long hair because she's mixed & has good hair" & "my hair would be long too if I was part indian/ethiopian/native american/chinese/etc too". I've told them multiple times that I'm not biracial, but they don't believe me :spinning:.

& finally, all of my old students insisted I had a hot date coming up when my hair was pressed; they'd burst into questions about his age & job, etc && start giving me advice & dating tips. :lachen:

I miss those kids, but I'm so proud of all of them for graduating & pursuing higher education !!! :yep:

I let my sisters straigten my hair once in 2006. We set off the smoke alarm in the room and my hair smelled burnt for a couple of weeks. All of my older relatives really liked it. One asked where I was hiding all that beautiful hair.

I hated the look and how my hair smelled. I went back to my natural texture the following day.

Of all the compliments i got when i straightened my hair last week ...all of them came with
"It would be soooo pretty if you relaxed it" ...So straightening isn't enough for you?

BUT one girl scolded me for straightening my hair ^.^ and asked if i got a relaxer and when i said no she said "Good Job" awww i love her.

I get a ton of compliments, ooohs and aaahs from both male and female co-workers.

My mom will mention that it's growing and ask if it's all mine.

My friends haven't seen it straight because it usually reverts before I see them.

Last edited:
I actually have my (flat ironed) hair down today.

I always get the typical ooohs and ahhhs.

A white / male colleague said: Wow you have your hair down today. He never said anything about it being straight. I just smiled and said yeah.

A black / female colleague (that's natural) said: OMG. I don't think I've ever seen your hair down. Is that all yours? I kindly told her yes, and another black / female colleague told her off.

People are people. I don't mind. I just don't like others to make a big deal when I wear my flat ironed hair down. I guess it's true for some folks (that they've never seen a black lady with really long hair). :ohwell:

Funny thing is I just had the exact opposite experience that OP had. I am natural and usually wear my hair straight 95% of the time. I have been helping with a major cleaning and remodeling project at my mother's home the past few weeks and have been needing to wash my hair more frequently because of being around the dust and dirt. So I just decided to do wash and go's. Everyone around had told me I need to wear my curls and quit straightening. I was pleasantly surprised. I am loving it!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

I agree with the poster who said "People just like change." I'm a natural who flat irons regularly. Every once in a while I will have a puff/afro or curly fro. I've never gone out it public with it, but many family members have seen my curly fro and church people have seen my puff. And they would be AMAZED and oooo and ahhh...ask if it's fake, then touch it lol. And I get "You should wear it like this more often! Why do you always straighten your hair???"

One person said I'm being fake because I wear it straight all the time... :rolleyes:

I have a lot of shrinkage because my hair is fine, so most people are shocked by how long it is when straight. When I straightened my hair a few years ago, a coworker thought I was wearing my hair naturally. He assumed my curly hair was a perm because his straight-haired sister perms her hair and her curls looked like mine. :lol:

I wear wigs to work so the people who most often see me natural are my mother and my boyfriend. The reaction my boyfriend gives me when I straighten my hair is a confused/why look. :scratchch I guess he is wondering, "If she wanted to wear her hair straight, then why'd she stop relaxing it?" LOL

the few times ive straightened my hair while ive been natural (6.5 years)...i havent had the guts to wear my hair outside because *I* always HATE it.

I haven't flat iron my whole head since I was about 6 months natural. Hair was barely SL.

Never straightened my hair since. :lol: I do want to hear people's remarks on it, because they love my natural hair. :creatures

Back