Naturals: Salon Visits or DIY?

I DIY. I went to the salon for the BC and twists.-- a great place in NYC. I was terrified of doing it myself, so I went back to the same stylist for another trim and twist. Two weeks later, I made a appointment, and the first stylist was no longer there. The girl who did my hair didn't do nearly as good a job. Then I went to another stylist at a different salon for two strand twists, after specifically asking her if she could them, but she gave me comb twists, which because of the length of my hair looked like long worms. I said enuf, and began twisting myself.

I was still afraid of the scissors, though. I went to another stylist after about nine months for a trim and twists. She twisted the hair, then snipped the end off of each twist. (The first stylist blew the hair out a bit to check the shape and trimmed it dry.) Then she had the nerve to charge me an arm and a leg!! Well, I decided I could do that myself, and have been salon-free ever since.

Dearlove said:
I DIY. I went to the salon for the BC and twists.-- a great place in NYC. I was terrified of doing it myself, so I went back to the same stylist for another trim and twist. Two weeks later, I made a appointment, and the first stylist was no longer there. The girl who did my hair didn't do nearly as good a job. Then I went to another stylist at a different salon for two strand twists, after specifically asking her if she could them, but she gave me comb twists, which because of the length of my hair looked like long worms. I said enuf, and began twisting myself.

I was still afraid of the scissors, though. I went to another stylist after about nine months for a trim and twists. She twisted the hair, then snipped the end off of each twist. (The first stylist blew the hair out a bit to check the shape and trimmed it dry.) Then she had the nerve to charge me an arm and a leg!! Well, I decided I could do that myself, and have been salon-free ever since.

Guess it just proves you really take a chance putting the care of your hair in someone elses hands. Lots of trial and error stories...

I have only been to a salon once (for twists) since I stopped perming in Feb '05. Unfortunately, I have been noticing grey hairs popping up so I will be making an appt at the local Aveda salon for them to do my color and probably a trim as well.

Other than that I'm DIY.

Does my answer count, since I'm a hairstylist? :lol:

I am definitely a DIYer. I seek out the services of a stylist when I want a style that I can't easily do myself (rare). Other than that, I do my own trims, twists, coils, and hair cuts.

I did my own hair during my transition, mostly braidouts every week. Now that I'm natural I like to go to the salon every now and then for twists or a spiral set. I found a nice natural salon by looking at the curve web site and finding retail locations for curly pudding.

caligirl said:
I did my own hair during my transition, mostly braidouts every week. Now that I'm natural I like to go to the salon every now and then for twists or a spiral set. I found a nice natural salon by looking at the curve web site and finding retail locations for curly pudding.

Great idea! I have gone on their site and done that as well...I am almost certain I found a place here in H-town that carries the products...I think...Thanks Caligirl.

balisi said:
Does my answer count, since I'm a hairstylist? :lol:

I am definitely a DIYer. I seek out the services of a stylist when I want a style that I can't easily do myself (rare). Other than that, I do my own trims, twists, coils, and hair cuts.

I guess we can count yours...;)-just joking...you just have one up on everyone else cause you "know" hair...I guess that is just part of the transitioning process, learing YOUR own hair as opposed to letting someone else tell you what you/your hair needs, etc.

All DIY here! I'm wayyyy too broke to afford salon visits. But I have heard nothing but great things about the Aveda down the street. I went in there for an eyebrow wax and casually asked if anyone could style natural hair. The stylist said ' yes, all of our stylists are trained to style and cut natural black hair'. So I think I may be dropping in there for a trim sometime soon.

Now DIY.

However if I need a major haircut or a trim, I do go to a barber. The picture in my avatar is my recent big haircut. This cut cost $12 +$3 tip. When I used to go to salons to get it cut it used to cost me $50.

I've been DIY since my very last relaxer, which was just over a year ago. The only thing that I don't do myself would be if I wanted Kinky Twists, and I get a friend to do those.

Adrienne72 said:
Now DIY.

However if I need a major haircut or a trim, I do go to a barber. The picture in my avatar is my recent big haircut. This cut cost $12 +$3 tip. When I used to go to salons to get it cut it used to cost me $50.

As I mentioned before, my aunt is a beautician and while she doesn't style natural hair, I may see what she can do as far as treatments, and my boy's father is a barber...but I don't know if I trust him for shape ups and edge ups. of course he'd do it for free but he's such a prankster I may end up plugged or nicked for sure...HA!:lol:

thefineprint said:
All DIY here! I'm wayyyy too broke to afford salon visits. But I have heard nothing but great things about the Aveda down the street. I went in there for an eyebrow wax and casually asked if anyone could style natural hair. The stylist said ' yes, all of our stylists are trained to style and cut natural black hair'. So I think I may be dropping in there for a trim sometime soon.

I have heard several ladies on this site mention Aveda...let me check to see if they have a Houston location. I did some research this past weekend on local natural salons and got great results. I may eventually check some of them out. but so far I am leaning towards DIY methods so that I can learn my hair. All of the ladies who responded in this thread have such beautiful hair and all of them are DIY's...Natural hair seems like sooo much work, but obviously the rewards are GREAT. Such beautiful hair ladies. And so different from the norm (though it seems natural is very quickly becoming the norm!)

Do-It-Yourself all the way ;) ! From the trimming, to styling --- even coloring until I found Aveda, no one touches my hair.

I've gone as far as to stop wearing cornrows until I can manage to do them decently on my hair. So until I can master them on my own head, flat twists have become the new cornrows for me.

I'm not going to say salons are useless, but I feel as though if you're natural, doing your own hair should be common knowledge. I view going to a natural salon as "treating yourself out," but when you can no longer treat yourself out, you always have your own skills to fall back on.

Not to mention, going to a salon is expensive. I remember reading in one gal's Fotki that twists start @ $50 & up. What kind of craziness is that?!? Don't you know you can do your own two-strand twists? :( The only time I would step foot in a natural salon --- heck it doesn't even have to be a natural salon, is if I wanted a serious cut/shaping. Otherwise, for the most part, I can re-create whatever style I see.

Come to think of it, even during my transition I did my own hair. Out of the 12 months that I transitioned, I only wore cornrows (w/extensions) twice. Otherwise, I was learning to care for my own hair.

So...yeah...excuse my rant, but my vote is for DIY. :p

http://www.motowngirl.com/spotlight_july06.php

Check out this sista. She has a natural hair salon here in Houston.

You can also check out The Root of You Hair Salon. A lil pricey but they did a great job with my press out. I'm going back to them to do my sew in and I'll post photos for all to see.

By the way most of the time I'm DIY but for trims, I'll straighten my own hair and go to Supercuts on Kirby and Richmond. The black guy (the only one there) did a great job with me.

Ohh and for the local sista that does natural hair, she ONLY does 100% natural hair. No presses, perms, text's nothing. Straight natural so I'm sure she does natural trims too. When I'm done transitioning I may go and look her up.

Ohh and The Root of You sells Carol's Daughter hair products and Miss Jessie's curly buttercream, meringue, etc....

Don't go in there after payday.....bad idea. LOL

The salons out here charge WAY too much to do natural hair. I do it myself. Not to mention the finished product doesn't look better than what I can do myself. One salon wanted $80+ to wash and twist my hair w/o extensions. That's ridiculous IMO.

IrisDaVirus said:
Unless I'm getting my hair braided with extensions, I'm a total DIY girl.
Same here. I like having my Saturday's free to do whatever I want and not sitting in some overbooked salon for longer than a full time job!!

I diy and I go to the salon. I have a couple of stylists here in Atlanta that I like, but I mostly go to Balisi because she takes her time, she's honest with you about your hair's condition, and she understands natural hair.

lovelymissyoli said:
Do-It-Yourself all the way ;) ! From the trimming, to styling --- even coloring until I found Aveda, no one touches my hair.

I've gone as far as to stop wearing cornrows until I can manage to do them decently on my hair. So until I can master them on my own head, flat twists have become the new cornrows for me.

I'm not going to say salons are useless, but I feel as though if you're natural, doing your own hair should be common knowledge. I view going to a natural salon as "treating yourself out," but when you can no longer treat yourself out, you always have your own skills to fall back on.

Not to mention, going to a salon is expensive. I remember reading in one gal's Fotki that twists start @ $50 & up. What kind of craziness is that?!? Don't you know you can do your own two-strand twists? :( The only time I would step foot in a natural salon --- heck it doesn't even have to be a natural salon, is if I wanted a serious cut/shaping. Otherwise, for the most part, I can re-create whatever style I see.

Come to think of it, even during my transition I did my own hair. Out of the 12 months that I transitioned, I only wore cornrows (w/extensions) twice. Otherwise, I was learning to care for my own hair.

So...yeah...excuse my rant, but my vote is for DIY. :p

Funny! But lots of good points...really ....great points...taking it all in!
thanks!

Ms Lala said:
The salons out here charge WAY too much to do natural hair. I do it myself. Not to mention the finished product doesn't look better than what I can do myself. One salon wanted $80+ to wash and twist my hair w/o extensions. That's ridiculous IMO.

Whoa...now that is alot...Plus looking at the prices that Ms.Jessie's/Curves...I really hope that is not an indication of the prices for care of natural hair...even though I live in Texas.

FeelinIt said:
Ohh and The Root of You sells Carol's Daughter hair products and Miss Jessie's curly buttercream, meringue, etc....

Don't go in there after payday.....bad idea. LOL

You are wonderful! Thank you thank you thank you!

FeelinIt said:

You can also check out The Root of You Hair Salon. A lil pricey but they did a great job with my press out. I'm going back to them to do my sew in and I'll post photos for all to see.

By the way most of the time I'm DIY but for trims, I'll straighten my own hair and go to Supercuts on Kirby and Richmond. The black guy (the only one there) did a great job with me.

Ohh and for the local sista that does natural hair, she ONLY does 100% natural hair. No presses, perms, text's nothing. Straight natural so I'm sure she does natural trims too. When I'm done transitioning I may go and look her up.

Great info! thanks again!

FeelinIt said:

I used to love the root of you when I was relaxed. That salon is the best. When I decide to use heat, maybe I will go there again.

Back