naturals: my hair feels hard.wth am I doing wrong?

Freespirit02

I'm newly natural. I dced my hair with silicon mix and then with the ors pack..and put in Hawaiian silky 14 in 1 as a leave in..but my hair is still hard. And i co wash almost every day with the Suave humencant..sigh..idk what to do!

I'm newly natural. I dced my hair with silicon mix and then with the ors pack..and put in Hawaiian silky 14 in 1 as a leave in..but my hair is still hard. And i co wash almost every day with the Suave humencant..sigh..idk what to do!

When was the last time you clarify? Do you moisturize your hair and with what? How do your hair feel after co-wash? Do you dc with something more then the silicon and ors? The last time i used ors it made my hair hard. If silicon mix is a moisture dc why would you use ors if its a protein last. You would want to use ors then the silicon mix. Do the HS14-1 make your hair feel?

Last edited:
i now always co wash with a bit of baking soda to feel it cleaner.Then i dc with my mixtures (avocado,oil,honey,ylang ylang ess oil). when i finish all that i rince and leave in a tiny bit of condit. then dry and add shea butter when its still a bit wet.my hair is soft like that

Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 has mineral oil in it which is supposed to coat the hair- I didn't like it on my hair. A lot of your products you are using have cones in them aswell so it's most probably build up you're suffering from. HTH

Do you have to cowash everyday? If so find another conditioner with no cones and if you like the suave co wash once a week. The Hawaiian Silky sucks. Im sorry to say that it made my hair hard. Do you put anything else on your hair besides the HS?

So which conditioners for co wash do you all recommend. well I put the hawaiian silky..and sometimes the elasta qp mango and olive oil. I also started using sulfur 8...i know i know (sad face)

Co-washing everyday can put a build-up on your hair because the conditioners are full of cones (silicones). You're just putting coating after coating of cones on your hair everyday which creates a barrier on your hair preventing any moisture from getting to it. If you plan to continue co-washing daily you'll need to clarify frequently with a sulfate shampoo to remove those cones or your hair will stay dry.

Cones, (dimethicone, cyclomethicone etc), will lay on your hair and prevent any moisture from getting into your strands. When choosing a conditioner to cowash choose one without any cones in it. For now, clarify your hair and it should feel better.

ETA: Skala conditioners don't have cones but have mineral oil, Naked conditioners are good, any natural brand you can find will not have cones. For DCing I would DEFINITELY recommend aubrey organics conditioners.

Last edited:
Mineral oil, cones, and protein always give me problems in the softness department.

I used the Suave Almond and Shea Butter conditioner to cowash with today and it made my hair dry and crunchy :nono:, I'm never using that again. I felt like it cleaned my hair rather than moisturized it. Your hair might be dry, because of the Suave conditioner you're using.

I used the Suave Almond and Shea Butter conditioner to cowash with today and it made my hair dry and crunchy :nono:, I'm never using that again. I felt like it cleaned my hair rather than moisturized it. Your hair might be dry, because of the Suave conditioner you're using.

I hate that stuff..i use it to shave my legs now! just because of too cheap to throw it away..lol

i was in your situation just a month ago. i realized its REALLY hard for my hair to keep moisture when its loose. now i keep my hair in two strand twists and they are ALWAYS moisturized.

i use scurl and TW mist bodifier. they work wonderful on my twists but nothing for my loose hair. HTH!

ETA: a hint that your hair may be like mine where its hard to keep your hair moisturized while loose --> your hair feels amazing while conditioning and even after you rinse the conditioner and your hair has time to dry. after an hour or so your hair feels like it did before you washed it (keep in mind this could also be because of hard water, unless you have already ruled that out)

Last edited:
I think you should Shampoo and condition. Co-washing isnt for everyone. Also your hair maybe cone sensitive.

there can be a number of culprits...silicon mix has mineral oil in it which can prevent moisture from getting in...ORS is light protein (but my hair is protein sensitive and i still like it so it depends)...I dont like Suave Humectant (even though im gonna mix it up w/ other things so that i can finish the bottle)...if where you are is hot and dry vs hot and humid then maybe that isnt for you, because if their is no moisture in the air, then the humectants will suck the moisture out of your hair...hawaiian silky also has glycerin in it which is a humectant...do u seal in moisture with an oil?

Back