Naturals I Need Your Help

when i detangle with my denman i notice my roots are super puffy and my ends (abt 2 inches down) are it great defined curls... so the question is how do you define your roots and does any one else have this problem??

ETA: For wash and Go's

Last edited:
After I detangle, I usually rewet my hair to get definition. It's annoying but does the trick for me. And then I usually juice a bit.

I'm like DarkChyld... I detangle my hair and none of the curls are defined... then I rewet my hair until its soaked and apply conditioner and shake my head... that's how I get defined curls. I don't try to comb or brush my hair after I've detangled and rewet.

Hmm....:scratchch I've never really tried to define my hair...but for someone with time, I think you would have to do it like you're shingling. I think you'd have to take small sections at a a time and brush or comb with a fine tooth from roots to ends...maybe?

Yes my roots are frizzy and puffy too, I just rake the product and concentrate the product there to get the curls to clump together at the base. HTH

I use my fingers to rake in my products (when I wear a wash-n-go), if I use a comb or brush my curls would be frizzy and less defined.

I used to have this problem, but I now only detangle about every other day with the denman. I just put my hair up at night and when I take a shower in the morning, I just let the water pressure naturally detangle my hair.
I noticed that if I manipulate my hair after the shower it always ends up to poofy or something, so I just skip the detangling.
Try detangling in the shower and then adding more conditioner to your hair and then rinsing your hair, your roots should be in great shape then. For the edges, I just use Eco Styler gel with an old toothbrush.
I know this is long, but I hope it helps!

When using the Denman for defining curls. it is important that the hair is being smoothed by the rubber. Don't just brush through with the teeth, but rather take small sections and use the teeth to detangle, but the rubber does the actual clumping so make sure that your hair is reaching all the way to the base of the brush. Someone made a good yt vid showing this. I'll try to find it for you.

Back