naturals how do YOU straighten your hair

L.Brown1114

it would be amazing if the naturals would show/tell their technique on how you straighten your hair! before and after pics would be amazing! you dont have to but its STRONGLY encouraged!! :grin:

shoot - I got to the hair salon - I can't get this right - besides I don't put on my hair often.

I used to blowdry and then press my hair. I recently purchased the Maxiglide steam iron and now I don't have to press my hair anymore. Love it!

Before: *Texture Shot*

Lisas-Pictures-114-300x225.jpg

My Wet Hair (in the Braided Sections I always Wash/Condition/DC in)

picture.php

Here's my technique for my tightly coily type 4a thick stranded hair. I'll share with you the two methods that have left me with sleek consistently straight results.

First let me give my product recomendations.

Heat Protectant:

IC Fantasia Serum (for blowdrying) and spray (for flatironing)

21P6xSHLy4L._SL500_SL160_.jpg
fantasia-high-potency-ic-hair-polisher-heat-protector-straightening_91290_175.jpg

For the blowdrying step...I highly recommend the Andis 1875 Tourmaline Ionic Blowdryer, here are my results using that blowdryer (with the comb attachment)

3706640.jpg

I Recommend Two Types of Flat Irons:

1) The MaxiGlide MP

maxiglide_.jpg

Technique Using MaxiGlide MP *My Preferred Method as of now* (My Results)​

Step 1: Blowdry wet hair using the Andis with the comb attachment in 8-10 sections, rewetting each section with spray bottle filled with water and dilluted leave-in of your choice. Apply nickel sized IC serum to each section and blowdry bantu knotting each finished section a you go to keep it out of your way.

Step 2: Flat Iron using MaxiGlide MP using one IC Spray on each section, in small 0.5 - 1" X 3" sections.

Sleep Routine: Pin Curl and tie with Satin Scarf

2) A 1 inch 100% ceramic flat iron I like the Amika (I have it in Zebra:love2:)

g_03586528.jpg

Technique using a 1 inch standard 100% ceramic iron:

Step 1: Blowdry wet hair using the Andis with the comb attachment in 8-10 sections, rewetting each section with spray bottle filled with water and dilluted leave-in of your choice. Apply nickel sized IC serum to each section and blowdry bantu knotting each finished section as you go to keep it out of your way.

Step 2: Hot Comb Roots. When using a standard 1" ceramic flat iron on tightly coily hair I recommend a hot combing step between blowdrying and flat ironing on the first 4 inches closest to the scalp to get consistently straight results. One pass at heat setting 8 on the comb should do the trick. Heres the electric Hot Comb I recommend by Hot Tools :

prcomb.JPG

Step 3: Flat Iron (I would do 350+) in small 0.5 - 1" X 3" sections chasing the flat iron with a fine toothed comb.

After:

My-Current-Length-002.jpg

Hope I broke it down throughly enough for you love! Good luck!!:yep:

Last edited:
I usually blow dry and flat iron. Sometimes I'll air dry and then flat iron. These two pictures I did myself. I can never get it as straight as the stylist does but it's good enough for me.

Hair was airdried in twists and then flat ironed the next morning

21873_859867112308_5703142_48058189_2337414_n.jpg

Hair was blowdried and flat ironed

21873_859867401728_5703142_48058239_7214118_n.jpg

Last edited:
i use a jilbere tourmaline ceramic flat iron. that's it... oh and tresseme heat protectant and sally's generic chi silk infusion

• To get the results in my siggy (right side is a straightened braid-out):
  • - I wash and DC my hair (With Joico K-Pak & Moisture recovery)
  • - I rollerset my hair using rollers with the clamps and bobby pins to keep them secure:
  • I roll my hair mohawk style using lacio lacio/or cantu shea butter
    leave-in and chi-silk infusion. A ponytail set or banding can work
    equally well, but since I do not blow-dry I stretch my hair as much as
    possible prior to flatironing

• - I sit under the dryer until dry. Depending on how it turns out, I'll do a silk wrap or just flat-iron straight from the rollers
  • - If using the maxiglide:
  • I use the comb plate and section my hair in half. I take out very thin sections and apply a light mist of heat protectant (Beyond the Zone). I flatiron a section no more than a 1/4" thick and 2.5" wide.
  • - If using my FHI platform:
  • I use the same size section, but I use the fine tooth end of my comb to chase the hair as I'm flat-ironing

Last edited:
This is a good question b/c I tried and I ended up putting it in a bun on the top of my head b/c it looked like a bush. Straightening natural hair is NOTHING like straightening relaxed hair :)

Next time, I will go to the salon! At least until I reach APL.

Before: *Texture Shot*​

Lisas-Pictures-114-300x225.jpg

My Wet Hair (in the Braided Sections I always Wash/Condition/DC in)

picture.php

Here's my technique for my tightly coily type 4a thick stranded hair. I'll share with you the two methods that have left me with sleek consistently straight results.

First let me give my product recomendations.

Heat Protectant:

IC Fantasia Serum (for blowdrying) and spray (for flatironing)

21P6xSHLy4L._SL500_SL160_.jpg
fantasia-high-potency-ic-hair-polisher-heat-protector-straightening_91290_175.jpg

For the blowdrying step...I highly recommend the Andis 1875 Tourmaline Ionic Blowdryer, here are my results using that blowdryer (with the comb attachment)

3706640.jpg

I Recommend Two Types of Flat Irons:

1) The MaxiGlide MP

maxiglide_.jpg

Technique Using MaxiGlide MP *My Preferred Method as of now* (My Results)

Step 1: Blowdry wet hair using the Andis with the comb attachment in 8-10 sections, rewetting each section with spray bottle filled with water and dilluted leave-in of your choice. Apply nickel sized IC serum to each section and blowdry bantu knotting each finished section a you go to keep it out of your way.

Step 2: Flat Iron using MaxiGlide MP using one IC Spray on each section, in small 0.5 - 1" X 3" sections.

Sleep Routine: Pin Curl and tie with Satin Scarf

2) A 1 inch 100% ceramic flat iron I like the Amika (I have it in Zebra:love2:)

g_03586528.jpg

Technique using a 1 inch standard 100% ceramic iron:

Step 1: Blowdry wet hair using the Andis with the comb attachment in 8-10 sections, rewetting each section with spray bottle filled with water and dilluted leave-in of your choice. Apply nickel sized IC serum to each section and blowdry bantu knotting each finished section as you go to keep it out of your way.

Step 2: Hot Comb Roots. When using a standard 1" ceramic flat iron on tightly coily hair I recommend a hot combing step between blowdrying and flat ironing on the first 4 inches closest to the scalp to get consistently straight results. One pass at heat setting 8 on the comb should do the trick. Heres the electric Hot Comb I recommend by Hot Tools :

prcomb.JPG

Step 3: Flat Iron (I would do 350+) in small 0.5 - 1" X 3" sections chasing the flat iron with a fine toothed comb.

After:

My-Current-Length-002.jpg

Hope I broke it down throughly enough for you love! Good luck!!:yep:

How often do you flat iron?

Back