Naturals, Do you have Dryness????Samanthajones' theorey...

Lucky's Mom

:sekret::sekret:I wrote this originally about 7 months ago........
Enjoy!

Hey Ladies!
I have noticed that many of us try to finds natural alternatives to moisturize our locks....

I just wanted to let you know that I have tried many products and often wondered "why does my hair feel DRIER?" - and I have noticed this most immediatetly after my switch to organic - or pure products........

1. Aloe vera Gel..... some ladies have complained that Aloe vera gel is drying..... most times, it is not - if it is PURE. most of the Aloe Gels out there contain the following drying ingredient:

Diethanolamine (DEA), Triethanolamine (TEA) — Often used in cosmetics as emulsifiers and/or foaming agents. They can cause allergic reactions, eye irritation and dryness of hair and skin. DEA and TEA are "amines" (ammonia compounds) and can form cancer-causing nitrosamines when they come in contact with nitrates. Toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time.

I found that FOTE (Fruit of the Earth)100%Aloe Gel did leave my hair dry (I used this was a long time ago, when my hubby and I went away for the weekend) - here are the ingredients:
Aloe Vera Gel, Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer 940, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea

AHH-HAA! not 100%!! What we thought was helpful - could be our reasons for snarls and snaps!!! TEA is the 2nd ingredient.....Remember, the 1st 5 ingredients do matter in many formulations!

ALTERNATIVES???
Try pure aloe vera juice or gel - you can find that in Whole food or herbal stores. you can also purchase pure Aloe for www.fromnaturewithlove.com..PURE aloe vera, not the ALOE moist GEL....

I only use PURE aloe vera in all of my homemade stuff..... - and citric acid ( preserved )it is full of what is really good four our hair and what the High priced stuff has. It stays in the fridge - like most of my stuff ......

Many other gels, and products contain TEA, like Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel with Sparkle Lites:

Purified Water Aqua , Glycerin , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , Aloe Vera Gel , Dimethicone Copolyol , Tocopherol Acetate , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Polysorbate-20 , Benzopehonoe-4 , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Disodiium EDTA , Fragrance

his is the 4th ingredient, and possibly the dryness could be Combatted with other oils, but I am not sure......

I am sharing all of this to say - Sometimes - you might be doing more harm than good.... So read your labels!!!!

Lastly - I know that many of us are too busy to make stuff in our kitchens, and constantly read labels, but I think this aggressive research can help us get to GREAT healthy hair lengths!!!!!!!!!!!

Below is a list again of products to lookout for - whatever your natural - or organic journey might be: :sekret:

10 SYNTHETIC COSMETIC INGREDIENTS TO AVOID

By Aubrey Hampton

If you want natural products, you have to be willing to search them out. Learn to read labels, and refuse to settle for half-natural hair and skin care. Below I've listed and described the "ten most wanted"—the ten chemicals I most want to see off the labels of so-called natural hair and skin care products.

1. Methyl, Propyl, Butyl and Ethyl Paraben — Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Studies have shown that they are weakly estrogenic and can be absorbed by the body through the skin. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic.

2. Diethanolamine (DEA), Triethanolamine (TEA) — Often used in cosmetics as emulsifiers and/or foaming agents. They can cause allergic reactions, eye irritation and dryness of hair and skin. DEA and TEA are "amines" (ammonia compounds) and can form cancer-causing nitrosamines when they come in contact with nitrates. Toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time.

3. Diazolidinyl Urea, Imidazolidinyl Urea — These are widely used preservatives. The American Academy of Dermatology has found them to be a primary cause of contact dermatitis. Two trade names for these chemicals are Germall II and Germall 115. Neither of the Germall chemicals contains a good antifungal agent, and they must be combined with other preservatives. Both these chemicals release formaldehyde, which can be toxic.

4. Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate — A cheap, harsh detergent used in shampoos for its cleansing and foam-building properties. Often derived from petroleum, it is frequently disguised in pseudo-natural cosmetics with the phrase "comes from coconuts." It causes eye irritation, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, skin rashes and other allergic reactions.

5. Petrolatum — Also known as petroleum jelly, this mineral oil derivative is used for its emollient properties in cosmetics. It has no nutrient value for the skin and can interfere with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dryness and chapping. It often creates the very conditions it claims to alleviate. Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.

6. Propylene Glycol — Ideally this is a vegetable glycerin mixed with grain alcohol, both of which are natural. Usually it is a synthetic petrochemical mix used as a humectant. It has been known to cause allergic reactions, hives and eczema. When you see PEG (polyethylene glycol) or PPG (polypropylene glycol) on labels, beware—these are related synthetics.

7. PVP/VA Copolymer — A petroleum-derived chemical used in hairsprays, styling aids and other cosmetics. It can be considered toxic, since inhaled particles can damage the lungs of sensitive persons.

8. Stearalkonium Chloride — A quaternary ammonium compound used in hair conditioners and creams. Developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, it is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which are beneficial to the hair. Causes allergic reactions. Toxic.

9. Synthetic Colors — Used to make cosmetics "pretty," synthetic colors, along with synthetic hair dyes, should be avoided at all costs. They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6 / D&C Green No. 6. Many synthetic colors can be carcinogenic. If a cosmetic contains them, don't use it.

10. Synthetic Fragrances — The synthetic fragrances used in cosmetics can have as many as 200 ingredients. There is no way to know what the chemicals are, since on the label it will simply read "fragrance." Some problems caused by these chemicals include headaches, dizziness, rash, hyperpigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation—the list goes on. Advice: Don't buy a cosmetic that has the word "fragrance" on the ingredients label.

Good news Ladies!!!!

There is another Aloe Gel that may be a good alternative as well........

JASON Aloe Vera 98% Moisturizing Gel ingredients:

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Gel (Aloe Vera), Aqua (Purified Water), Glycerin (Vege), Allantoin, Polysorbate-20, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Potassium Carbomer, Arginine, Menthol (Natural), Benzyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Chlorophyllin Copper Complex, Fragrance Oil Blend

OK...... Aloe, water, Glycerin, we love those....

ALLANTOIN - Allantoin is the most active ingredient in Comfrey Root. An excellent Raw Material to use for people with sensitive skin because, amongst other factors, it protects against harsher ingredients such as Detergents. It helps to stimulate tissue growth. Use 0.5%-1% in water-containing products such as Creams, Lotions, Soaps and Bath products.

Polysorbate 20 - ( not as pure as we would like BUT)

New, nontoxic emulsifier, to dissolve your precious essential oils into water, without the use of alcohol. No, Polysorbate 20 (sometimes known as TWEEN20) is not an all natural product. But it is derived from Lauric Acid (from Coconut Oil) and is the best way I know to dissolve essential oils into distilled water without adding alcohol.

So- this - although not as PURE as we would like, is not as DRYING as the other stuff!!!

Hope this helps ladies.

Last edited:
Great info. I'm printing this and keeping it in my purse so when i shop, I'll have my reference. Thanks so much.

Good Info...Ive really never suffered from chronic dryness since I left college due to that hard water..but I never used any of those clear gels so maybe that has something to do with my hair not being super dry:yep:

wow, one more thing to add to the list! thanks for posting before the buy nothing challenge ends...i've most definitely got AV gel on my list! :scratches off FOTE brand:

question...which SLS is the one that is "ok"? i have been avoiding sulfates like the plague but i read somewhere that one is a safer alternative...? true or false?

I bought aloe vera gel the other day (100% pure).. when I applied it to my wet hair (aloe vera/gly. mix) I didn't really like the feel of my hair.. it felt starchy of you know what I mean. Instead of writing it off I tried it on dry hair and it worked great.

SO if any natural ladies have tried Aloe vera gel on their wet hair and didn't like the results... give it a try on dry hair.. don't write it off so soon =) it's a little miracle when your hair needs moisture and you're too lazy to CW hth

JASON Aloe Vera 98% Moisturizing Gel ingredients:

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Gel (Aloe Vera), Aqua (Purified Water), Glycerin (Vege), Allantoin, Polysorbate-20, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Potassium Carbomer, Arginine, Menthol (Natural), Benzyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Chlorophyllin Copper Complex, Fragrance Oil Blend

Very informative post. Whether my hair is dry or not is more strongly connected to the weather than anything else. I have the JASON aloe vera gel and it did absolutely nothing in the winter, just like every other product I had. In the summer my hair is softer no matter what I put on, even if it's just a tiny bit.

Wow, great info. Will be giving aloe vera a try and will be vigilant in looking out for those 'other' ingredients:nono:

Thank you for this helpful info. It really did bring some things to light about the products i've been using.

I usually pay attention to the 1st 10 ingredients in a product:grin:

wow, one more thing to add to the list! thanks for posting before the buy nothing challenge ends...i've most definitely got AV gel on my list! :scratches off FOTE brand:

question...which SLS is the one that is "ok"? i have been avoiding sulfates like the plague but i read somewhere that one is a safer alternative...? true or false?

I don't use any product that contains SLS..... Have not in years now....
So - I would not know if any is "OK"

Decyl Glucoside - is a milder surfactant.
I don't use that one either much - but - I do know that one is mild.

Good post. I can't find pure aloe gel and was wondering about that JASON brand as an alternative....

Thanks for the great info. You have just helped me figure out where all my dryness is coming from.

I'm transitioning (1 year since last relaxer!) and my everyday transition style is a CW bun. I usually put a bit of gel on the top just to tame the curls/frizz and tie down for a bit.

So now that the gel is out is there an alternative? I think I've tried the aloe before and it did nothing to tame the frizz. Without the gel my bun looks like a hot mess!

Thank you SO MUCH for this post! I was actually gonna start a "product ingredients to avoid thread" because I'm still not well-versed in all of the ingredients I should be looking out for when I buy products for my hair.

I'm gonna print this out...:yep:

Back