Naturals (4a/4b) who bun

Riverwalk

Hello! In general, I am curious about your regimen.

However, I do have a few particular questions for naturals who bun (with only their natural hair):

Do you take the bun down each night, and re-bun in the morning? The reason I ask is because I know if I were to take the bun down, it would be really tangly in the morning and also lose its shape. But, I wonder if keeping a bun in at night will lead to breakage.

Also, if you only detangle on wash day, does your hair pretty much stay detangled until the next wash day, assuming you don't comb in between wash days (and only 'finger comb').

Finally, do you gel your hair to prevent fuzzies? If you do, do you re-gel everyday? If you don't, what do you do to prevent your front from becoming fuzzy? I am wondering if putting gel (like Fantasia IC) on hair daily will lead to breakage.

Thanks in advance!

I am wearing a bun daily now. I wash and bun every three days and wear a silk scarf at night. I have not noticed any breakage. For my hair if I redid the bun every day it would cause problems. My hair does not like a lot of manipulation.

After I wash and condition I use gel (Elasta QP Glaze) on the edges and put my scarf on. At night I spray the edges with water, softly brush and appy scarf and it's flat in the morning.
HTH

I wear a bun every day during the work week. I take it down at the end of the day divide it into sections and twist them up or make 4 little buns on my head. I us a little (fantasia IC) gel as needed or a cream moisturizer to brush and slick back the fly aways and tie it down for a few min before I leave.

Now that I am co-washing a few days during the week I had to figure out a way to get my hair to lay down in a bun the next day so I do four sections banding each one they are positioned farther back on my head. I find it easier to pull my hair back this way the shrinkage at the roots is reduced.

Thanks hrtbandr.

Do you find it easy to get your hair back in a bun the next morning using your method? Also, does your hair get tangly using your method?

Thanks.

However, I do have a few particular questions for naturals who bun (with only their natural hair):

Do you take the bun down each night, and re-bun in the morning? The reason I ask is because I know if I were to take the bun down, it would be really tangly in the morning and also lose its shape. But, I wonder if keeping a bun in at night will lead to breakage.

Also, if you only detangle on wash day, does your hair pretty much stay detangled until the next wash day, assuming you don't comb in between wash days (and only 'finger comb').

Finally, do you gel your hair to prevent fuzzies? If you do, do you re-gel everyday? If you don't, what do you do to prevent your front from becoming fuzzy? I am wondering if putting gel (like Fantasia IC) on hair daily will lead to breakage.

Thanks in advance!

I started bunning last week and I LOVE IT. My bun consists of four fat twists. I take the bun down at night (I keep the twists though) and put on a scarf and bonnet. I moisturize and seal as needed. My hair was not tangled and matted on wash day.

I don't use gel. I guess my hair is "fuzzy" but it's flat and I don't mind a little fuzz. :look:

If I wear a bun - it stays that way for a week.
I don't take it down. I have done it a couple of ways - in the shower wet and filled with condish - or blown dry.

I guess my main concern was breakage from it being in the same style for a week, but it seems as though you ladies that do bun, do not have this problem. So that is great!

Alrighty, I am bumping this old thread.

My main concern is that because of my length (I am touching bra-strap length stretched...shoulder length unstretched), I can't do co-washes everyday. It is very time consuming, and I get really frustrated because I feel I have to detangle it or it may matt up.
However, if I don't do this, my hair starts to get fuzzy by day 2.

So...I was wondering if any of you all just re-gel without washing it? If so, do you worry about product build up?

Oh, and if there are any more of y'all out there that can answer my original question, I would greatly appreciate it :grin:

As always, thanks in advance!!!!

Excellent questions! I've been wondering the same thing about naturals with 4a/4b hair who bun.

My concern is shrinkage...especially in the top area of my head! I just recently cut my hair and can't put my hair in a bun in it's shrunken state anymore (I can put my hair in a bun if I blowdry and press it, but I don't want to do that all that time). But in its shrunken state, I can put my hair in a shrunken lil ponypuff.

I've been thinking about wearing my hair in a lil ponypuff until I grow it back out. I want to prevent messing up my edges when I sleep so I don't have to redo my ponypuff everyday. If I take down a dry shrunken ponypuff, I would have to re-wet and re-detangle my hair to get it back that way, and I really don't have time to do that everyday.

Any tips?

Last edited:
My hair isn't long enough to put into a bun yet. :ohwell:
...well, not at it's shrunken stage.

Nice to know that daily bunning works for you guys though. Hopefully I can use this in the winter. MY afro is too much to fit under a hat or hood.

Excellent questions! I've been wondering the same thing about naturals with 4a/4b hair who bun.

My concern is shrinkage...especially in the top area of my head! I just recently cut my hair and can't put my hair in a bun in it's shrunken state anymore (I can put my hair in a bun if I blowdry and press it, but I don't want to do that all that time). But in its shrunken state, I can put my hair in a shrunken lil ponypuff.

I've been thinking about wearing my hair in a lil ponypuff until I grow it back out. I want to prevent messing up my edges when I sleep so I don't have to redo my ponypuff everyday. If I take down a dry shrunken ponypuff, I would have to re-wet and re-detangle my hair to get it back that way, and I really don't have time to do that everyday.

Any tips?

Yes, exactly. This is such a pain and very time consuming. I am also concerned because I really don't want to manipulate my hair everyday, so if I could wear my hair in a bun and/or braided ponytail everyday it would be great.

Last edited:
I usually only wear the same bun for about 3 days at a time (without washing in between) and take it down to re-do it about once during that time. I sometimes use IC Fantasia gel, and sometimes I use Cantu shea butter to smooth my hair down. I NEVER use them together (it equals a coating of white buildup).

Thanks in advance!

I'm a 3c/4a/4b combo, and I either wear a bun or braided bun 99% of the time. I rarely take my bun down at night, and have not had breakage. I do not bun tightly, and I don't put any type of ponytail holder on before making the bun. I don't even use pins, most of the time. I just twist my hair around, tuck the ends under the twist, and put on a scrunchi or bun cover. I only detangle on wash days.

I do not gel. I use conditioner and oil or butter to smooth the edges. Each morning put a little water, conditioner, and oil or butter on my edges. Then I smooth with my hands, brush with my denman, and tie a silk/satin scarf around my head for about 5 min.

My buns depend on my hair. most weeks I cowash daily so I just detangle it in the shower throw so leave in on and slick it back with Fruit of the Earth Aloe vera gel. Through out the daily I'll spray some sort of moisture on it just for good measure. On the rare week (like this week when I straighten my hair) I take down just the bun but leave the pony tail up so I don't have to use more gel and will moisturize just the ends. I've had no problems with breakage.

I'm a 3c/4a/4b combo, and I either wear a bun or braided bun 99% of the time. I rarely take my bun down at night, and have not had breakage. I do not bun tightly, and I don't put any type of ponytail holder on before making the bun. I don't even use pins, most of the time. I just twist my hair around, tuck the ends under the twist, and put on a scrunchi or bun cover. I only detangle on wash days.

I do not gel. I use conditioner and oil or butter to smooth the edges. Each morning put a little water, conditioner, and oil or butter on my edges. Then I smooth with my hands, brush with my denman, and tie a silk/satin scarf around my head for about 5 min.

My buns depend on my hair. most weeks I cowash daily so I just detangle it in the shower throw so leave in on and slick it back with Fruit of the Earth Aloe vera gel. Through out the daily I'll spray some sort of moisture on it just for good measure. On the rare week (like this week when I straighten my hair) I take down just the bun but leave the pony tail up so I don't have to use more gel and will moisturize just the ends. I've had no problems with breakage.

Thanks for sharing this ladies. :)

Back