Nappy to straight?

tmichelle

I'm all natural and haven't used heat on my hair for two years (almost). I would like a change and see some length as well as be able to comb through it for a week. I have been considering straightening it but I don't want to ruin my napps and not have them all go back nappy again. Can anyone give me their experience. BTW I have apl 4a hair if it helps.

When I was natural and decided to flat iron my hair to wear the straight look I made sure that the temperature was not TOO hot! This happened to me where I didn't check the flat iron setting (didn't realize while in the midst of flat iron i changed the setting) that a portion of my hair was semi straight even after really washing my hair & DC. :wallbash: Just be careful cuz I have 4a/3c fine hair and it didn't take much heat to get my hair straight.

Last thing you wanna do is damage your hair from heat and it stays straight after you wash it. I'm telax now and still have to be careful with heat!

When I was natural and decided to flat iron my hair to wear the straight look I made sure that the temperature was not TOO hot! This happened to me where I didn't check the flat iron setting (didn't realize while in the midst of flat iron i changed the setting) that a portion of my hair was semi straight even after really washing my hair & DC. :wallbash: Just be careful cuz I have 4a/3c fine hair and it didn't take much heat to get my hair straight.

Last thing you wanna do is damage your hair from heat and it stays straight after you wash it. I'm telax now and still have to be careful with heat!

Thanks! My hair is closer to fine than thick so I too would have to watch the setting.

I'm in no way near an expert on straightening hair, but I was thinking what if you braid your hair in maybe 4-6 cornrows to stretch it out so that when you go to straighten it, you can use an even lower setting on the flat iron. Maybe you can do search on heat protecting products to lessen the chances of heat damage. Hopefully some straightening professionals will chime in on your question :).

I'm in no way near an expert on straightening hair, but I was thinking what if you braid your hair in maybe 4-6 cornrows to stretch it out so that when you go to straighten it, you can use an even lower setting on the flat iron. Maybe you can do search on heat protecting products to lessen the chances of heat damage. Hopefully some straightening professionals will chime in on your question :).

That's a good idea. I wouldn't want it super straight so anyway I can get away with the lowest level I should give a go with.

Back