Naomi Davis on Natural Hair in the Workplace

Soliel185

This is part of a series this blog is doing. I thought it was interesting since this is a topic that comes up a lot.

NaomiDavisSocialEntrepreneurandEnvi.jpg
naomi1.jpg

Naomi Davis: former attorney, founder of the Blacks in Green (B.I.G.) environmental group, a Chicago-based organization dedicated to bring environmental awareness and green jobs into impoverished, urban black communities.
Part 1 of Naomi Davis' interview is here.

BGLH: When did you go natural and why?
Naomi: 1999 for the second time. The first time I wore a fro for 10 years that included college.

BGLH: When you made the decision to go natural, were you worried about the implications for your work?
Naomi: No.

BGLH: Do you think the professional world is ready to accept natural hair?
Naomi: Yes, unequivocally if the rest of you looks the part.

BGLH: Describe the reactions your natural hair receives in a professional setting. Is it viewed as acceptable?
Naomi: No one ever questions or insinuates against my hair. I have only ever received positive feedback. Oh, except one time a dear friend - an older white male and Texan (Texas! no less...where I thought big hair ruled!) - told me he thought my hair was too big.

For more pics and the rest of Naomi's interview click here

Last edited:
That's one of my favorite blogs. The interview is great and her hair is beautiful.

That's one of my favorite blogs. The interview is great and her hair is beautiful.

I noticed that you linked it in your siggy. :yep:

I like that she doesn't take a 'holier than thou' attitude and makes a point to admit when she realized she held a prejudice against something, or was ignorant about something. I feel like she's sharing her journey as she progresses and the topics are always relevant.

This is part of a series this blog is doing. I thought it was interesting since this is a topic that comes up a lot.

Naomi Davis: former attorney, founder of the Blacks in Green (B.I.G.) environmental group, a Chicago-based organization dedicated to bring environmental awareness and green jobs into impoverished, urban black communities.
Part 1 of Naomi Davis' interview is here.

BGLH: When did you go natural and why?
Naomi: 1999 for the second time. The first time I wore a fro for 10 years that included college.

BGLH: When you made the decision to go natural, were you worried about the implications for your work?
Naomi: No.

BGLH: Do you think the professional world is ready to accept natural hair?
Naomi: Yes, unequivocally if the rest of you looks the part.

BGLH: Describe the reactions your natural hair receives in a professional setting. Is it viewed as acceptable?
Naomi: No one ever questions or insinuates against my hair. I have only ever received positive feedback. Oh, except one time a dear friend - an older white male and Texan (Texas! no less...where I thought big hair ruled!) - told me he thought my hair was too big.

For more pics and the rest of Naomi's interview click here

:grin: Considering the hair spray that goes in some of the hair donts over there....the nerve that guy....:rolleyes:

I noticed that you linked it in your siggy. :yep:

I like that she doesn't take a 'holier than thou' attitude and makes a point to admit when she realized she held a prejudice against something, or was ignorant about something. I feel like she's sharing her journey as she progresses and the topics are always relevant.

Yup I love her writing style. It's the type of blog I would have if I was more democratic and less radical in my thinking LOL. BGLH and The Natural Haven are my two very favorites...and Beauty Brains is my next favorite. I love the scientific approach to hair care...the anecdotal approach leaves much to be desired:look:.

Back