My natural hair SCARES ME...

leigh.hill

To make a long story short, I unintentionally BC'd my hair on Saturday. I knew the day was coming, yes, I cried a little, but I have no idea how to treat newly natural hair! It's dry as crap. I am starting a new hair journey (again) to healthy hair. I pre-pooed, shampooed, deep conditioned my hair, and my hair just seems to be laughing at my conditioner (AO White Camilia and then I tried another one with pumpkin in the name mixed with coconut oil). I am trying my best NOT to buy a ton of trial and error products. What suggestions do you have for a newly natural?

Until I get comfortable with the new me, I am wearing half-wigs.

To make a long story short, I unintentionally BC'd my hair on Saturday. I knew the day was coming, yes, I cried a little, but I have no idea how to treat newly natural hair! It's dry as crap. I am starting a new hair journey (again) to healthy hair. I pre-pooed, shampooed, deep conditioned my hair, and my hair just seems to be laughing at my conditioner (AO White Camilia and then I tried another one with pumpkin in the name mixed with coconut oil). I am trying my best NOT to buy a ton of trial and error products. What suggestions do you have for a newly natural?

Until I get comfortable with the new me, I am wearing half-wigs.

leigh.hill

Once the initial shock wears off, you'll find that you're fine.

Wearing wigs will get you over the hump but, as far as your natural hair, now is the time for you to learn to love it. Take your time.

I would start by clarifying or detoxing my hair to get rid of any build up and then condition from there. I find that detoxing brings out the best in your hair. Your curls will pop or whatever texture will just be softer and completely natural. Then deep condition, since you've removed any build up. Theeeeennnnn see how you feel about your hair.

I know you're going to be fine. Welcome to the Natural side! We'll help you get through. Your hair is beautiful and you're gonna LOVE it. Don't be scurred. :look:

I did not use a clarifying shampoo. Hmmmm maybe that will help. I really want to learn to embrace my natural hair. Thanks for the welcome :)

Hey Leigh!

Once you learn to embrace your hair, you will wonder what took you so long to go natural.

Your hair may not be as dry as you think it is. When people first go natural they associate the cottony feeling of their hair with dryness. Your hair may not be THAT dry.

Also what products are you using on your hair & how often are you using them?

Patience is KEY. :yep: You might be one of those people who has a period of adjustment after a BC and trying a variety of different products will probably be a part of that. In addition to starting from stratch by clarifying, it might not be a bad idea to add a mild protein to your wash + condition regimen. What daily moisturizer are you using now and how is that working for you?

I am still trying to fine a daily moisturizer. When I was transitioning, I had a pretty good routine, but the HairVeda Almond Glaze and BeeMine moisturizer don't work anymore.

I completely understand what you're saying. I have been losing my mind since May 11th when I did the BC. Last week was the first week I didn't experience the extreme dryness. I've done hot oil treatments, deep conditioned with Curl Junkie Curl Rehab (and used it as a leave in), and I've just been experimenting. Its nowhere near as dry as it was.

gurl trial and error are part of the game. Once you find the right products and your hair starts behaving, you will adore your hair. I had a hard time too when i BC'ed. It was very dry even though I felt i was doing everything right. Its a learning process.

Oh and something i just recently learned about my hair that i'll share. If you purchase a moisturizer use it three different ways on your hair-wet, damp, and dry. I came to that because i bought Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream, and kept using it after i washed my hair. My hair kept coming out dry. So one day i used it on dry hair and my hair came out soft and moisturized going on 3 days now! Im washing it today but its still soft since i did it on Friday. So it maybe the right moisturizer for you being used the wrong way or being followed up by the wrong sealant. I wouldnt seal my QBRBC with coconut oil because my hair LOATHES coconut oil, which will give me a false impression of the QBRBC when it really what i followed it up with. Do i make sense?? I ramble alot.....

Last edited:
Figure out your hair's texture (fine, medium, coarse) and porosity (high, normal, low).
E.g., fine hair typically needs a lot of protein (more than moisture sometimes) versus coarse hair, which needs rich, moisturizing products and little protein. High and low porosity hair types follow a similar pattern. Porous hair supposedly benefits from acidifying products like vinegar also.

You may have to experiment to find the right ingredients (all moisture is not created equally, IMO) and balance of protein/moisture. Good luck.

I wish you success on your new journey. I hope your never carries you to a point where you feel the need to alter its texture again.

I admit i am there now because the longer my hair gets the more knotty it becomes and now i'm not even on the fence anymore about texlaxing/relaxing. I will be doing one of them as soon as my hair is back to a healthy state. Hoping i can do that in December.

it takes time.
i was natural for 4 years and then 2 weeks ago decided to chop all my hair off again.
for whatever reason when i did my hair started acting a monkey dodo fool. it was dry all the time and i just didnt know what to do to it.
but then i remembered it did this the very first time i went natural too. after about 4 days or so my hair sstarted excepting products and now my hair stays soft all day.
i cant wait until it grows back though lol.

anyway its warm now, try lotions and butters with honey and glycerin in it.

will you be a w&g girl or twists/braids girl.

if w&g then co wash daily with something very moisturizing and use the proper leave in/lotion/butter and your hair should be fine.

product suggestions:look:
hairveda whipped ends hydration
darcys botanicals pumpkin seed conditioner
darcys botanicals cocoa been lotion
coco curls styling cream(my fave product in the whole wide world)
shescentit avocado conditioner(LOVE this stuff as a leave in, moisture for days)

and for co wash conditioners i would try silk dreams destination hydration or koils by nature shea aloe conditioner. they are both amazing.

Also natural hair feels differently than relaxed hair, so even if it feels dry that doesn't mean it's necessarily dry

Quoting for truth! It took me a while for me to develop a feel for what's "soft" and "moisturized" for natural hair.

I would say Oyin Hair Dew is the best multi-purpose product; leave in, moisturizer and styler. It works for me on dry hair, damp hair, and wet hair. It is a staple in my regimen and has been for two years.

Here are some products that I recommend that worked consistently for me.

Cleanser: Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Shampoo LOVE THIS STUFF!
Deep Conditioner: Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends or Chamomile and Burdock Root DC
Leave In: Oyin Hair Dew
Styler: Homemade Shea Butter Mix (moisture for days)

I also use my Hair Dew as a dry hair moisturizer, and even to retwist with sometimes.

Hope this helps!

I would say Oyin Hair Dew is the best multi-purpose product; leave in, moisturizer and styler. It works for me on dry hair, damp hair, and wet hair. It is a staple in my regimen and has been for two years.

Here are some products that I recommend that worked consistently for me.

Cleanser: Shea Moisture Curl and Shine Shampoo LOVE THIS STUFF!
Deep Conditioner: Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends or Chamomile and Burdock Root DC
Leave In: Oyin Hair Dew
Styler: Homemade Shea Butter Mix (moisture for days)

I also use my Hair Dew as a dry hair moisturizer, and even to retwist with sometimes.

Hope this helps!

Hair Dew is the truth! I tried making a shea butter mix a la Naptural85, but it's easier for me to buy the Whipped Pudding. I'm not a Mixtress. :look:

product suggestions:look:
hairveda whipped ends hydration
darcys botanicals pumpkin seed conditioner
darcys botanicals cocoa been lotion
coco curls styling cream(my fave product in the whole wide world)
shescentit avocado conditioner(LOVE this stuff as a leave in, moisture for days)

and for co wash conditioners i would try silk dreams destination hydration or koils by nature shea aloe conditioner. they are both amazing.

Oh no you didn't like products for this junkie to buy!?!?!? :drunk::drunk::drunk:
By chance, I have to Pumpkin Seed Conditioner and my natural hair seems to halfway like it (didn't do anything for the relaxed hair).
Thanks so much for the project recommendations.

Hair Dew is the truth! I tried making a shea butter mix a la Naptural85, but it's easier for me to buy the Whipped Pudding. I'm not a Mixtress. :look:

It doesn't matter what I try, I always go back to my boo Dew!

I'm getting lazy too. Especially since I bought a hempseed butter mix from Naturally Amari off of Etsy that had my hair moisturized almost a week!

shampoo - shea moisture moisture retention or keracare hydrating detangling
conditioner - aubrey honeysuckle rose or bear fruit hair shea almond coconut deep cream conditioner or elucence moisture balancing it also saves money as a leave in or deep conditioner
leave in - elucence moisture balancing, or water conditioner and oil, or qhemet biologics heavy cream
seal - olive oil, safflower oil, shea butter
chicoro's growth it book may help a lot

Back