My hair is not straight! Can I relax it again?

butterfly7

I got my hair relaxed exactly 3 weeks ago tomorrow. It is not straight! The back is pretty straight, but the back was still straight after 16 weeks, so no big deal. I don't know what went wrong. My mom did my relaxer. We used Motions Mild for 22 minutes. I don't know if it was the product or the process. Any thoughts? Can I re-relax my hair? I was going to wait another week maybe. (I used to relax every 4 weeks before I found you guys anyway.) My goal was to relax at 10 or 11 weeks, but... Please help!

butterfly7

butterfly7

O.K., I did a search and found some info you posted previously regarding a strand test. I'll check it out. Thanks.

I sure welcome any additional advice.
Thanks.

soslychic

Wow! You sound just like me. This is exactly what happened. I used motions with oil mild for about 22 minutes and my mom did it and i assumed that it was the relaxer and so I switched to affirm mild and the same thing happened. So now I'm assuming that it is the process because I think that my hair would have gotten straight with affirm. The strand test worked. I reccomend doing a strand test on the thickest part of your head so as to make sure that part gets as straight as the rest. (I made the mistake of testing it on an area that was already kinda straight so that I didn't get a good idea)
I'm fishing for info. too on this. What in my method could be making my hair turn out underprocessed each time? I do smooth, quite a bit I thought and I definetly leave on the relaxer for long enough. I just don't understand. I don't want to go to a professional because I dont' have the money and plus I wanna get this down myself because I hate having to rely on someone else that cares nothing about my hair and is NOT gonna do exactly what I say to handle it. Well I"m TOTALLY rambling. Sorry. Basically, does anyone else see any other problem that I could be doing to make my hair turn out so dag on fuzzy still? I gotta try this yet again!

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I think you should do a strand test on several sections of your head if you have different textures throughout. Doing it on one section that may take longer to get straight than others will give you overprocessed hair in the sections that do not require as much time.

For example, I take strands from the top, sides and back...and sometimes the nape area too. My sides do not need as much time as the rest of my hair, so I do that part last. This is a section that is approx. 3" by 3". The hair is finer there and the coils/curls are much smaller. I snip off hair at the roots from each section and tape them to pieces of cardboard and label which section it came from. I then go through the process of relaxing, smoothing, and neutralizing each section, while timing it. I then condition each section and air dry. Since I am texturized, these strand tests are very important to me, especially during retouches. I can't say enough about the necessity for doing these. It doesn't take long to do and can save you from having under or overprocessed hair. If you do not know which strength to use, strand tests will help with that as well.

mirrormirror

Re: My hair is not straight! Can I relax it again?

.........maybe you should let a professional apply the relaxer of your choice.

carmella25

The same thing happend to me 5 months ago when I relaxed with motions regular. After I was done it wasnt straight enough so I deep conditioned my hair. Then put the relaxer back on again the same day. Thank goodness that none of my hair fell out. But it came out fine after that. I just deep conditioned my hair again. Then put condtioner on and then sealed my ends and put conditoner on my pony tail and put it in a bun. That was it and my hair didnt break off. Today has been 5 months since i relaxed in january. I just relaxed it today. It came out great my hair is getting so long. I happy. Thanks for all the tips from this board.

Karonica

I can not stand Motions' perms!

Anyways, I don't believe in the time method thing anymore. If I rush the perm in trying to get all of my hair done within that 20 something minutes it recommends for my hair type (actually, it's suppose to be less, since I have course, but permanently color treated hair), then my hair will look like nothing touched it at all. Last time I permed, I left it in 40 minutes, and it did much better, although there are STILL some parts that are slightly underprocessed, but nothing like the nightmare before. Thank God!

butterfly7

Oh my Karonica, 40 minutes, did it burn? I think I will try the strand test for sure. A friend of mine says Motions does not work for her and we have pretty close to the same hair type(s). Maybe I should have just left it in longer.

Karonica

Didn't burn a bit!
I had based my hair with shea butter the day before, but I will never do this again because it was a nightmare washing my hair!

butterfly7

Oh. Well, I'll leave it in longer, just not 40 minutes! Thanks.

Karonica

It feels kinda stupid saying I left my perm in 40 minutes, but I am serious, if you saw my head before I put that perm in
, you would've told me to leave it in a week!

butterfly7

Well, it must've looked like mine. I had taken my braids out a week prior. Needless to say, it was a mess! Thinking back, I should have known to leave it in longer because since I've been on this board, my hair is much, much thicker. (My hair had been thin and fine for the longest.) I should have adjusted to the change. Silly me.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)

The recommended times don't work for me either. I leave a Regular strength Revlon relaxer in for 15 minutes after I've completed the application and my hair is still curly afterwards, but that's what I want.

beana3

i use affirm mild lye and i leave it on for 25 mins-30. my hair never straightens within the rec'd time.

butterfly7

Hmm. Well, now I know. What about the stregths? I have always used mild. Is there much difference?