My greatest hair challenge WAS

mamauv2

Can you just indulge me here for a minute and forgive me if this has been done. Just thought it'd be cool to get a variety of tips for those that could be facing similar challenges (breakage, moisture, etc.) So...

Are you natural/relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning: natural

My greatest hair challenge was: moisture/protein balance

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: 4 months

Methods/Products that solved the problem: more protein and Roux Porosity Control

Are you natural/relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning: Natural

My greatest hair challenge was: Getting over my much too soon BC

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: Still dealing with it

Methods/Products that solved the problem: Co-washing and keeping it in a bun so I don't have to be constantly reminded of how short it is.

Methods/Products that solved the problem: Co-washing and keeping it in a bun so I don't have to be constantly reminded of how short it is.

Your hair is gorgeous girl! Don't be sad! :bighug:

Are you natural/relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning: relaxed

My greatest hair challenge was: giving up heat

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: hasn't presented a problem yet but i know it's not good

Methods/Products that solved the problem: plan to airdry next wash after a fresh relaxer and only blowdry during last weeks of 11 week stretch

Are you natural/relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning: RELAXED

My greatest hair challenge was: STOPPING THE BREAKAGE AND SHEDDING

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: ALMOST 2 YEARS

Methods/Products that solved the problem: STOP MOISTURIZING SO MUCH AND USE PROTEIN PRODUCTS EVERY WEEK

My greatest challenge was learning to be patient.

My hair has been growing 3.5" - 4.0" inches per year, on average. I need approximately 20" to achieve bra-strap length hair (I'm 5' 10" with a long neck and a long torso). Therefore, it could take up to 5 years for me to achieve this length. I'm currently at year 2.5 (since my big chop). I have to be patient...

ETA: I've been trying to achieve bra-strap length since 2000, but it only last year (2008) that I really really really realized that I have to be patient. I'm currently natural. However, since 2000, I was relaxed, then I chopped it all off and went natural, then I relaxed again, and then I chopped it all off again and have been natural since May 2006.

Last edited:

My greatest hair challenge was: lack of moisture and protein

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: Not sure the timeframe but once I noticed breakage...I pretty much did process of elimination.

Methods/Products that solved the problem: Still working on the problem...but I have used Aphogee protein treatment, up'd my leave in conditioner and DC as well as Castor oil. Currently awaiting my HairVeda products and Ayurveda, to also aid my hair.

My greatest hair challenge was: Besides transitioning to natural, finding out what products worked for me when the seasons change

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: On-going. I've been natural over a year now and I am still trying to figure out what works/what doesn't. I'm getting better at it though!

Methods/Products that solved the problem: Making my own products and experimenting. I also read reviews more often than before.

My greatest hair challenge was: Washing/Detangling and split ends

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: Washing/Detangling - 9 months; split ends - 4 months (once I realized what was making the difference)

Methods/Products that solved the problem: Washing/detangling - washing my hair in three sections under the bathtub faucet for increased water pressure and detangling underneath the water stream with cond. in my hair.

Split ends - low manipulation and moisturizing/sealing. I went from combing all day long to once a week on wash day. I tried these techniques immediately after joining LHCF with great success, but wasn't able to isolate what was causing the success until about four months down the road.

My greatest hair challenge was: learning to maintain my hair without the use of combs or brushes

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: many many years :ohwell:

Methods/Products that solved the problem: Internalizing the no combing method and applying it to my loose hair. When I would rebraid I would only have one braid out at a time and it was very easy to finger detangle a small section. But, it took much longer for me to master detangling my whole head of hair while not in braids and understanding that MY detangling must be done under running water and in the direction I intend my hair to lay.

My greatest hair challenge was: Dry hair and breakage

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: I've always had dry hair with a ton of breakage and shedding.

Methods/Products that solved the problem:
Shea butter and paying attention to my conditioning schedule helped solve the dryness issue. (Words can't express how nice it is to have soft hair!) Coffee rinses have helped tremendously with shedding. :grin:

My greatest hair challenge was: tangles

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: on going

Methods/Products that solved the problem: keeping my ends moisturized and trimming as needed

My greatest hair challenge was: dry hair. all of the stylists I went to over the years would make comments about the dryness.

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: not long, but it took me a long time (years) to find the right products. Going to the beauty salon every week did not help.

Methods/Products that solved the problem: Keracare Humecto. Deep conditioning twice a week with Humecto has really made my hair moist. No more dry hair :)

My greatest hair challenge was: length retention

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: A couple of months

Methods/Products that solved the problem: protective styles and keeping my ends moisturized

OT: Miss Norway, Your siggy made me say "awwwww!" out loud! Thank you :grin:

Last edited:
re you natural/relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning: natural

My greatest hair challenge was working my texture

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: years and years. im still working on it

Methods/Products that solved the problem: using less products and accepting my hairs qualities.

And so to play fair, I'll answer the question...:lol:

Are you natural/relaxed/texlaxed/transitioning: texlaxed

My greatest hair challenge was: stopping end breakage

How long did it take you to pinpoint the problem: years :wallbash:

Methods/Products that solved the problem: low cones & low glycerin, More moisture/less protein, CW then seal with Castor Oil, DC with heat

I think I've finally conquered the 1/2 - 1" end breaking that has hindered my progress for so long!

Back