My BKT Fotki Album is Open

My answers are in pink!
Questions Regarding Cellophane Hair Coloring:

Can you please let me know which brand cellophane you used to do your color? is there a site/major store you can direct me to where I can buy it? I used the Wella brand. I bought mine from my local BSS.

How long did it last? (I'm in awe that you got such vibrant color deposit that was lighter then your dark natural color without bleach)
It lasted about 7 months. Cellophane's slowly wash out of the hair as you shampoo.

Does it only show up in bright light or does the color really pop overall?
The color really popped for me. But as everything else, different heads will have different results.

Is there a specific technique you need to make the color deposit as well as it did for you or do you just slap it on like a rinse?....it came out amazing!
Thanks. No specific technique at all. I just parted my hair in small sections and 'slapped' it on.

Did you switch to shampoo for color treated hair/ change up your reggie because of it? No after applying, I continued to use my reliable Aveda products.

Why did you stop? Was it drying at all?
I stopped because I had a very busy work and mom schedule going on. By the time the cellophane had worn off, I really didn't have the time or energy to play with and do a lot of stuff to my hair.

I saw some $5 ElastaQP cellophane hair color do you think thats any good? Can this replace my mothers rinses?
I've never used Elasta QP so I can't vouch for it. I've used Wella and Sebastian brands and Wella gave me the best results. Yes cellophanes are safe for the hair. I did not have any extra drying to my hair after doing a cellophane treatment. But I do stay on top of my hair-care. My sister uses cellophane's on the regular and her hair is so shiny and beautiful.

Okay I'm done now....sorry for the questionnaire but this is really exciting:grin:

Pinkskates,

Did you stop doing BKT in order to let the sore spot heal or did you stop completely using BKT?
My sore spot healed a few days later after I began applying Jane Carter scalp nourishing serum to the sore spot on my scalp. But by the time the BKT had worn off my hair, I was over the excitement of the results and I didn't want to spend 7 hours applying anything to my hair; which is how long it took to do BKT to my hair.

When you had BKT on your hair would let your hair revert completely and then do an application?
I did my BKT in May 09 by September 09 the BKT had worn completely off and I did not re-apply anymore.

How many times would you do BKT applications? was it every month? Did you take breaks in between applications? If so what did you do during the break time and how long was the break time?

I only did one application of BKT; and the only change I made to my regimen was using sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. And I deep-conditioned twice a month instead of once a month.

Thanks Pinkskates for opening your album, your hair is beautiful straight or curly! I've missed your hair!

I think I may have seen you recently, at a mall, not sure.

So were there any changes in your hair after the BKT wore off completely? Is your hair in the exact same condition now as before you BKTed?

Hey Pink:wave:! I hate to bother you, BUT would you pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee keep your album open a little bit longer? My cousin is coming over this evening and I want her to see your gorgeous hair and how it looks with bkt on it.
Also, I subscribed to you on youtube and your pressing skills are ridiculous!:yep:

Hello PinkSkates. Good to hear from you. What colour cellophane did you use?My mother has been using cellophanes since the 1980's, I am thinking of going back to it myself because I love the look. Your hair is awesome!!!!!!

Best,
Almond Eyes

PinkSkates,

Thank you so very much for this DIY tutorial. Your hair was gorgeous BKT'd and natural. Just lovely.

Thanks Pinkskates for opening your album, your hair is beautiful straight or curly! I've missed your hair!

I think I may have seen you recently, at a mall, not sure.
It was probably me; I have a serious shoe shopping addiction.:yep:

So were there any changes in your hair after the BKT wore off completely? Is your hair in the exact same condition now as before you BKTed?
There were no changes in my hair after the BKT wore off. My hair was in great condition before BKT and it is in excellent condition post BKT.

Hey Pink:wave:! I hate to bother you, BUT would you pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee keep your album open a little bit longer? My cousin is coming over this evening and I want her to see your gorgeous hair and how it looks with bkt on it.
Also, I subscribed to you on youtube and your pressing skills are ridiculous!:yep:

Thanks Can-Nee. I will leave the album up until late tonight or early Saturday morning.

Hello PinkSkates. Good to hear from you. What colour cellophane did you use?My mother has been using cellophanes since the 1980's, I am thinking of going back to it myself because I love the look. Your hair is awesome!!!!!!

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks! I used Wella Black Cherry cellophane.

That sounds awesome I was considering doing that as well do you do it yourself or do you go to the salon to get it done?

Pinkskates thanks so much for putting up with my trillions of questions, I got so many great tips from this thread! Thanks love!:kiss:

I'm putting in another install of crochet braids but when I take these down in a month I'm gonna put in that cellophane treatment immediately....crossing my fingers that I get the same results you did! I'm optimistic though because we are similar hair types and my hair is the same color of off black your is.

Last edited:
Aww, PinkSkates! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful hair pics with us. I loved your BKT, but honestly, I think you're a true beauty with your natural hair! Either way, its all good!!!....:grin:

Aww, PinkSkates! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful hair pics with us. I loved your BKT, but honestly, I think you're a true beauty with your natural hair! Either way, its all good!!!....:grin:

Oh no BMP...I trim my hair all by myself. Good luck with your crochet braids and cellophane treatment.

Awww...thanks Stella and your hair is looking very pretty in your siggy!:yep:

It was probably me; I have a serious shoe shopping addiction.:yep:

There were no changes in my hair after the BKT wore off. My hair was in great condition before BKT and it is in excellent condition post BKT.

Thanks Can-Nee. I will leave the album up until late tonight or early Saturday morning.

Thanks! I used Wella Black Cherry cellophane.

thank you pinkskates u r a sweetheart!

Thank you so much Pinkskates!!!

I know you probably been told this many times...You are truly an inspiration. Your Fotki is a real eye opener for anyone who wants to go natural and was reluctant to do so because they like wearing their hair straight. *Like me :look:*

Thanks for letting me and everyone else in here know that if we go natural there is not limit as what we can do with our natural type 4 hair!! You started a nice little revolution here!!! thanks for schooling us,helping us know what we can do!!:yep::yep:

thank you pinkskates u r a sweetheart!
You're welcome and how is your hair doing?

Thank you so much Pinkskates!!!

I know you probably been told this many times...You are truly an inspiration. Your Fotki is a real eye opener for anyone who wants to go natural and was reluctant to do so because they like wearing their hair straight. *Like me :look:*

Thanks for letting me and everyone else in here know that if we go natural there is not limit as what we can do with our natural type 4 hair!! You started a nice little revolution here!!! thanks for schooling us,helping us know what we can do!!:yep::yep:

You are very welcome BHD! :bighug:And if you ever need some straightening tips feel free to let me know!:yep:

Pinkskates, how do I think to your YouTube page?

Thanks!!! :blowkiss:
Click on the fotki link in my siggy. Click on the first open fotki album titled 'pinkskates pinknation'. Above the first picture is the link to my new youtube channel.

Hey....seems I can't resist this thread:giggle: how do you go about trimming yourself? I've heard of people putting their hair in ponytails....I'd love to start doing this myself...

Hey....seems I can't resist this thread:giggle: how do you go about trimming yourself? I've heard of people putting their hair in ponytails....I'd love to start doing this myself...

Hi BMP! I'm on my way out the door; as soon as I return home I'll answer your question. It's a bit detailed.

No problem! I know your a busy lady. The more detailed the better! I look forward to it:grin:

I'm tired of letting stylists get near me with scissors:nono: the last time I went she was like well your hair is already long so who cares if I take a few inches off its still gonna be long! I was like:look::ohwell:......eeyea imma start trimming my own hair.

Thanks PinkSkates for sharing your BKT with us. You have absolutely gorgeous hair. You were the first person I saw on LHCF who was "a natural who straightens." As a matter of fact, I learned the tension blow drying method from you. I rarely use heat on my hair nowadays, but if I ever do blow dry again, it will be the tension method. Thanks again.:rosebud:

Absolutely beautiful hair!

BB67 you look so pretty in your siggy!:yep:

Okay, so I trim my hair twice a year using this method. I only trim my hair after its been washed, conditioned and pressed silky straight.

Step 1
Remove every tangle from hair and part hair down the middle.

Step 2
I part my hair down the middle, all the way down to the back of my head. Then I bring both sides of my hair forward.

Step 3
I comb each side carefully until every hair strand seems to be lying in the same direction. As I hold your head up as straight as possible (this gives me a medium V-shape.)

Step4
I get a firm hold on my hair and then I bring the ends up closely for a good view of my hair and then I slowly and carefully trim off all of my ratty ends.

Last edited:

You are very welcome BHD! :bighug:And if you ever need some straightening tips feel free to let me know!:yep:

Click on the fotki link in my siggy. Click on the first open fotki album titled 'pinkskates pinknation'. Above the first picture is the link to my new youtube channel.

my hair is doing so much better pink! i started following your regimen and the evco and jane carter solution is working for my hair. my dryness and breakage is down to a minimum. thanks so much!

Hmm, it's probably just me, but I still cannot find your youtube page. What's the link, please? :)

ETA: Nevermind. I found it. :)

Last edited:

For some reason, I cannot link to your album. When I click on it, I get an error message. :(

Back