My 1st Jheri Curl Touch-up

Okay...sorry I've been MIA today ladies. Thanks so very much for your compliments/support. I absolutely love my curl & found that perfect balance between being natural & being relaxed.

Your curls look great. How long do they last? When you wash your hair does it go back into that same style?
The touch up schedule is basically the same as a relaxer - it depends on hair growth & personal preference. I got my first curly perm in March & waited 3 months before I touched up. However, I do plan to stretch this winter with weaves & not touch up again until next summer.

When I wash my hair, the curls will return/remain.

Very pretty. Do you have to sleep with a plastic cap on your hair?
LOL - I get asked this question more than anything. I don't have to but I do most nights. I have naturally dry hair & the curly perm also dries the hair so I baggy for that added moisture.

WOW! Jheri Curls have come a LONGGGG way!! Yours just looks like a pretty rod set...no soul glo or wetness or anything....I love it! I wonder can you set it on larger diameter rods?....
You can set it on whatever size rods you'd like. The larger the rod, of course the larger the curl. But if you go really large, you end up with waves more so than curls.

thats really cute... can u wear it straight too?
This is the link to my post when I got it flat ironed. http://curlykitchronicles.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-new-do.html
My stylist will allow me to wear it straight no more than once a month & when I wear it straight I can only keep it for a week. However, I don't wear it straight that often. I'm trying to limit it to straightening once between touch-ups.

Just gorgeous!! So how long do you have to wait to wash it for your curls to stay?
At least 7 days.

This looks very nice. Can you tell abit more about the products, how long you've had it and the maintenance it needs?
I have a Design Essentials curly perm. The perm itself is no different than the curly perms of the past. What is different now is the maintenance. The maintenance products are "dry" now vs. the wet look of the past.

Also one of the main reasons that my curl doesn't look like a typical curl is because my stylist rods my hair on flexi rods vs. the traditional perm rod. I wash my hair once a week either w/DE poo or Abba sulfate-free poo. I DC with each wash w/DE's Intense Moisture cond. At night I moisturize w/some diluted Ojon & put on my baggy. In the morning I refresh with Hairveda's Hydrasoft spritz. However on wash days, I use the DE moisturizers right after I wash my hair. Unless my hair is feeling really dry, I really don't use the DE line until wash days.

Also, DE did a Q&A for my blog. Here's the link for add'l info:
http://curlykitchronicles.blogspot.com/2009/05/q-with-design-essentials.html

Im interested too. Also to add. How long does it last?
See above.

Last edited:
I LOVE your hair!

I got a Wave Nouveau five years ago. As my hair grew, I couldn't stand the stickiness on the back of my neck, so I let to grow out, (didn't know the term for it was transitioning back then), and went back to my relaxer.

If I ever want curls again, I will remember that brand. Thank you!

I would've never guessed that you had a jheri curl. It looks so pretty. I didn't think people were still wearing those.

I LOVE your hair!

I got a Wave Nouveau five years ago. As my hair grew, I couldn't stand the stickiness on the back of my neck, so I let to grow out, (didn't know the term for it was transitioning back then), and went back to my relaxer.

If I ever want curls again, I will remember that brand. Thank you!

I'll admit that I'm having that issue now but only while it's damp from the moisturizer. If I have the time, I just keep my robe on until my hair is dry or either I take a baby wipe & wipe my neck off after it's dry.

SO when you take the bag off in the AM the curly just pop back and no setting your hair after you do your wash? wow thats great

I know you started this post 6 years ago but are you still rocking the perm curl? If not, why not? if so how is it going? Inquiring mind(s) want to know!

Back