Moisturizing ends w/o sealing??

Britt

Does anyone do this? Particularly those w/ fine hair?

Last night I sectioned my hair and applied KBB hair milk which is a very light moisturizer, then I took dabs, literally a few dabs of her hair oil and applied it the ends of the areas I sectioned which were only 5 sections. I then pin curled the areas and put on my scarf.

This morning, I woke up and my hair was too oily :nono:. I've always known that oils and my hair don't really mix too much, especially if my hair is rollersetted and smooth. I just think my hair is too fine for oil unless it's being airdryed or even sparsely applied to wet hair. But there is no way I can apply oil to my rollersetted/smooth ends w/o having my hair end up looking like an oil slick, my hair simply isn't thick enough.

So does anyone moisturize w/o sealing? Also, does anyone moisturize only a few times a week? I've done a search on moisturizing ends, and I see some people are doing it 2x a day! How does one do this w/o having an overly greasy head?

I'm just trying to get my hair a little thicker. I've seen one too many of success stories on here where people's hair have gone from zero to hero. Not only have they gained length, more importantly, their ends have filled in beautifully.

What kind of oil is it? some are lighter than others.
Maybe seal only every few days?

I think you should listen to your hair and do what feels best for it. I'm a newbie so I'm still trying to figure out my hair and see what will help it the most.

I used to moisturize without sealing the ends and while my ends felt soft, smooth and healthy it was nothing special. A few days ago I added Jane Carter Nourish & Shine as well as Profectiv Mega-Growth Oil to seal (not at the same time) and overall I felt way more positive about my ends and felt they were truly moisturized. I know how important taking care of your ends is and so I feel like I took a positive step in the right direction.

THAT BEING SAID my ends are probably a little damaged and my hair isn't fine. Since you know the quality of your hair you know it can get overloaded so I wouldn't seal with anything. I would simply use a very nice creamy moisturizer and while not overloading with product take the time to make sure you get your strands very moisturized.

Now I'm one of those individuals who moisturizes 2x a day but that's because I'm starting out and I'm noticing issues with breakage. In order to give my hair the moisture it craves I make sure to give it plenty of moisturizer and balance that with a Keratin mist. My hair does sometimes feel oily but I use a gentler touch depending on the state of my hair.

Sometimes after washing I have to use a lot of product depending on how my new-growth reacts (if it feels dry or clumped together) but as I get through the week it takes less and less to the point where I sometimes only use enough to coat the pad of a finger. That helps in keeping away excessive oiliness. Another good tip is find a moisturizing spray without oils and spray that first. From then on if you notice dryness or issues you can just use a dab of a regular moisturizer as needed.

What kind of oil is it? some are lighter than others.
Maybe seal only every few days?

@ bolded: I was going to ask the same thing. My strands are on the finer side as well and I use Camellia Seed oil to seal. It's incredibly light.

Hey Britt :)

From the link, these are the ingredients: Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil, Black Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Vitamin E & Essential and/or Fragrance Oils.

Most of those oils are way too heavy to seal with (on fine hair). Avocado oil is super thick, which could be causing the oiliness you noticed. I suspect the carrot seed oil is heavy too. I use jojoba myself, infused with some jasmine and roses, but that's just for now.

Last night I sectioned my hair and applied KBB hair milk which is a very light moisturizer, then I took dabs, literally a few dabs of her hair oil and applied it the ends of the areas I sectioned which were only 5 sections. I then pin curled the areas and put on my scarf.

This morning, I woke up and my hair was too oily :nono:.
I have fine hair too.

How you oil is very important, as is what kind of oil you use. For the how, I would advise oiling your hair only when it is wet and just shy of dripping. For the what, I would advise coconut, jojoba, and olive oils.

Every other day, I conditioner wash and then apply coconut oil to my hair when it is wet. The results are amazing. My hair is so soft, so lush, so detangled that I could weep for the sheer beauty of it. :laugh:

I'd suggest you try coconut oil, it's very light. you don't need much for your ends.

You may want to look into something with more of a lotion texture. When I was relaxed, lotions kept my hair moisturized but not heavy. (I wish I can remember what I used!). The only thing I still use from my relaxed days is ORS Carrot Oil. Doesn't have to be that product, but that consistency may work better for you.

I have fine hair too, and I'd say definitely listen to your hair. My hair needs different moisturizing regimens depending on what state it's in, so I just do whatever it tells me to do.

When relaxed I used leave-ins/moisturizers but did not seal. Wearing my hair in its natural state, I use coconut or jojoba oil (both are very light) to seal in moisture from co-washing. Currently, wearing it natural but straight, I use neither moisturizer nor oil.

If your hair is fine with just the moisturizer, then stick to that. I've learned that if my hair is too oily, not only is it gross, but I lose more hair. I'm still not sure if it's breakage or shedding, but all I know is that my hair is not happy being oily :nono: Do what you gotta do :yep:

Thanks guys ! The oil itself doesn't feel heavy when it's in my fingertips, but on my hair is a different story. I really only used a few dabs of it on the very ends of my hair.

I also will only use a light moisturizing lotion on my hair. I used KBB hair milk and so far I'm happy w/ the consistency of it for my ends b/c it's very light and absorbs quickly w/o any greasy residue.

I do have some coconut oil, is coconut oil lighter than jojoba oil ? Is sealing really necessary ?

I have fine hair as well and the only sealing oils I can use are Jane Carter Nourish & Shine and jojoba oil. I haven't used jojoba for a while because it can break out my face. And while the Jane Carter Nourish & Shine is expensive, that tub lasts a loooong time. I'm heavy handed as well, and the Jane Carter Nourish & Shine is easier to control when applying because the texture is so firm. It's the only product I like from the Jane Carter line.

Back