Miss Jessie Curly Pudding Subsitute Created by Sugaplum - It's Curl Poppin' Time...

Re: Miss Jessie Curly Pudding Subsitute Created by Sugaplum - It's Curl Poppin' Time.

Bumping with a review and result pics...
Ladies please do not sleep on this recipe and continue to waste your money on miss jessie's. I tried this mix last weekend following the shingling steps listed on miss jessie's web site and all I can say is WOW. Since I have never tried miss jessie's on my whole head ( I had a little sample pack) I can't give a complete comparison, but based off of my results I don't think I will ever invest the money to find out all the hype about their products.

I started by washing my hair twice with LTR and I deep conditioned with DPR-11 for 30 mins under high heat. After I completely rinsed my hair with hot water and detangled, I gave my hair a short blast of ice cold water. After I rinsed I didn't dry my hair at all, I ran about a palm sized amount of the curly butter through my hair and sectioned it into four ponytails. I then proceeded to shingle it section by section in very small pieces. The whole process of shingling took me about an hour and a half, but it was totally worth it!

My hair stayed soft and moisturized all week. It was very easy to style and since it stayed moist I went longer with out co-washing.
*pics attached*

Attachments

• DSCN4218.jpg
    DSCN4218.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN4220.jpg
    DSCN4220.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN4221.jpg
    DSCN4221.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN4224.jpg
    DSCN4224.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN4228.jpg
    DSCN4228.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 173
Re: Miss Jessie Curly Pudding Subsitute Created by Sugaplum - It's Curl Poppin' Time.

Bumping with a review and result pics...
Ladies please do not sleep on this recipe and continue to waste your money on miss jessie's. I tried this mix last weekend following the shingling steps listed on miss jessie's web site and all I can say is WOW. Since I have never tried miss jessie's on my whole head ( I had a little sample pack) I can't give a complete comparison, but based off of my results I don't think I will ever invest the money to find out all the hype about their products.

I started by washing my hair twice with LTR and I deep conditioned with DPR-11 for 30 mins under high heat. After I completely rinsed my hair with hot water and detangled, I gave my hair a short blast of ice cold water. After I rinsed I didn't dry my hair at all, I ran about a palm sized amount of the curly butter through my hair and sectioned it into four ponytails. I then proceeded to shingle it section by section in very small pieces. The whole process of shingling took me about an hour and a half, but it was totally worth it!

My hair stayed soft and moisturized all week. It was very easy to style and since it stayed moist I went longer with out co-washing.
*pics attached*

WOW tking! Thanks for the review and the pics. It looks awesome. I don't have enough natural hair yet to try it, but I am holding onto this recipe for when I do:yep:. I already transferred the recipe a few weeks ago to a word document to access easily. Thanks again.

subscribing for later reference

Subscribing...:yep:

Thanks so much for spreading the word about this!! My hair is too short now, but I will definitely be trying this later this summer!

I want to try this one day. Subbing. Would this be good for twists? I'm guessing you don't have to use the gel listed. What about Eco styler gel the Olive oil one. Eco is my favorite gel right now.

Thanks for bumping this thread again Platinum. I think I'll try it now that I'm natural:grin:.

I ordered some beeswax, can't wait to try this!
I'll be using IC fantasia's gel, I don't want to have to ship in the proclaim one..

subscribing to this as well...THANKS for bumpin' it back up.

I want to try this one day. Subbing. Would this be good for twists? I'm guessing you don't have to use the gel listed. What about Eco styler gel the Olive oil one. Eco is my favorite gel right now.

I'm sorry Geminigirl, I totally missed this post. This recipe should be awesome for twists because of the bees wax I'd imagine. You can any gel that your hair likes.

I've heard great things about ecostyler gel, but unfortunately I can't find it here in the Bahamas. I would have to purchase it online and I'm thinking about purchasing the olive oil one:yep:.

I'm compiling all my products for this recipe today and will attempt to make it this afternoon and use it on my hair....finally:grin:!!!

Hi ladies!! I did this recipe with a few modifications.

I used raw cocoa butter instead of the sticks, I used Long Aid gel instead of the Proclaim, and I used LaBella wax pomade instead of the one mentioned in the original recipe. The reason I substituted the pomade, is because I was trying to find one that did not contain petrolatum or mineral oil.

My results were as follows:

1. The pudding did not do a lot in the way of popping my curls and it was also noticeably white in my hair. Not sure if hair length is a factor in the fact that my curls didn't really pop, but I will mention that my hair is really, really short.

2. Even though I didn't find the pudding good for curl definition, I found it really nice for twists and for moisturizing the hair! Because of the water and probably the glycerin in the LA gel, the pudding left my hair feeling beautifully
moisturized, if not somewhat greasy. This I attribute to the pomade and possibly the cocoa butter.

Anyway, when I took my twists out the following morning, my hair felt buttery soft and deliciously moist!

The bottom line is that I would definitely recommend this pudding recipe for moisturizing the hair and for twists! I didn't consider the fact that I could use Eco styler gel and will likely experiment with that in the near future. :yep:

ETA: I hope the fact that this did not really define MY curls won't discourage you from trying this recipe! My hair is really temperamental when it comes to gels and things. In fact, the only thing that works well at defining my curls is ORS lock and twist gel!

Last edited:

I tried the recipe and I have to admit sadly....my hair hates it. There was curl definition but it was a little dull in my opinion. Fantasia IC gel works better on it's own on my hair with no help at all from other products. I will be sticking with that.

I bought some Jamaican Mango and Lime Locking Gel for twistouts. I'll see how that goes instead. Good luck with the recpie ladies.

Ladies,

For those of you who have tried this recipe AND have used Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding, was it a good substitute? I already know my hair loves Miss Jessie's but my pockets do not! :lol:

I really need a substitute for helping with my wet bunning (I'm texlaxed) and I'm looking for a product with a similar consistency. Thanks!

Back