Men and Hair Myths!

LocksOfLuV said:
:lol: My SO does that too. I tell him something about my hair, thinking he forgot and it back fires. He'll throw it in my face like "But last year you said you would never blowdry again..." And I'm like "daaaaammmmn!":lol:

And I can't believe he asked when she was getting a perm!:lachen: Bless him hawt! He probably thought all girls was 'supposed' to get them regardless of texture.

My SO thinks all black women (non-mixed) women have the same texture.:ohwell: *holds in laughter*
That's my DH right there.
He's like... *I thought you don't want to relax/cut/flatiron your hair anymore*I can't sneak NOTHING by him.:ohwell:
I didn't even told him that I would get a rollerset b/c he prolly would have tried to stop me b/c *according to me* isalons are to expensive and make my hair fall out:look:

Hahaha!!!!!!!!! grow hair with dirt!. Thats the same thing my sorta kinnda ex boyfreind spoke about..... I understand the "low mantince is key" but you can grow it just as fine by washing it daily:lachen:

audacious1 said:
My SO truly believes that black girls in the south don't have long hair(as in can't grow it)...He's from MS.:perplexed

I asked him why he believes this because he said it more than once. First he said it's too humid for the hair to grow. Then after I've been schooling him, that answer evolved into they use heat too much to combat the humidity, and his answer as of Sunday was it's too hot in the south to have long hair.

Whatever. He don't know what he's talking about. But I'm teaching him, so...
It's so cute how he tries to explain it with his *knowledge* that he got from listening to you:p

ella said:
He's like... *I thought you don't want to relax/cut/flatiron your hair anymore*I can't sneak NOTHING by him.:ohwell:
I didn't even told him that I would get a rollerset b/c he prolly would have tried to stop me b/c *according to me* isalons are to expensive and make my hair fall out:look:

It's funny how they will forget to take the trash out or wash the dishes but when it comes to our hair they are on it!:lol:

Hidden_Angel said:
Hahaha!!!!!!!!! grow hair with dirt!. Thats the same thing my sorta kinnda ex boyfreind spoke about..... I understand the "low mantince is key" but you can grow it just as fine by washing it daily:lachen:

Exacccctly I think people are mixing up the low manipulation from dirty.:lol:

SEMO said:
Pfft! LHCF is like a secret society. Entrance by invitation only. :lol::lol:
[demonstrates LHCF secret handshake]

:lachen: LHCF would eat his little butt alive if he get on here spitting that ignorance.:lol:

cmw45 said:
OT: bmoreflyygirl, you need to tell your smartass friend that if he's gonna pick on you he should at least get it right...Saved By the Bell was MY SHOWWW...and her name was Kelly Kapowski.

My current boyfriend is actually really good about it...he see's my hair growing and in good condition and doesn't really have much to say. He got really confused/and frightened when I told him that I needed to get my ends trimmed. He was like, "Please don't cut your hair." :lol:

I do have male friends that have said similar things to the comments made by the OP's BF. One male friend said, "You should put a relaxer in your hair if you really want it to grow...relaxers grow your hair." I was like :smirk:
I was also told by this same friend that black women's hair doesn't really grow past shoulder length and once it gets there it just falls out. Like, it touches the shoulder and then knows to fall out. I was like :ohwell:

I think the most outrageous things I have heard have actually come from other black women and HAIR STYLIST...they are they are the worse.

They are the worse. You would expect sylists to be more educated but a lot are just as miseducated than average folk imo.

A lot of Black people, in my experience, are the main ones that believe that black women can't have long hair unless they are mixed/biracial. It's crazy. My man believes that black women can have long hair as far as anything from SL to APL. At first, my man believed many hair pictures (that were BS, MBL, WL and longer) were phony and full of hidden weave until I showed him many ladies' up close maximized pictures of their hair and many ladies had a part in some pictures which made it easier to tell. I really got him when I said "You can't tell the difference between real hair and weave." Yeah he was on hush. A lot of people believe they can tell between real and fake but they can't always tell.

LocksOfLuV said:
It's actually kind of rare you get to see a black woman's natural texture. That's why they were kinda shocked. If more of us wore our hair natural we could see the diversity more.

ITA. My BF really enjoys my natural hair. (Note: This is not a knock at any of my gorgeous long hair relaxed sisters.) But sometimes I wonder if he would like it some much if it wasn't curly? If I would enjoy it so much if it wasn't?

I think that no matter how much I think I've grown and are above it all...I always need to check myself.

cmw45 said:
ITA. My BF really enjoys my natural hair. (Note: This is not a knock at any of my gorgeous long hair relaxed sisters.) But sometimes I wonder if he would like it some much if it wasn't curly? If I would enjoy it so much if it wasn't?

I think that no matter how much I think I've grown and are above it all...I always need to check myself.

Ya know it is what it is. I would just be happy that my SO enjoys my natural hair if I was you.

Yesterday I put my DS hair in boxes braids. MY SO looked at our son hair, picked up the phone calls his sister and tells her, My son hair is going to be longer then your by next summer because Men hair grows faster then women. Then he looks at me and say oh his hair is going to be longer then yours too. Y'all i wanted to smack him up side his head but i had to think about it. My son hair is growing at a fast rate. I hope he is not right.

shynessqueen said:
Yesterday I put my DS hair in boxes braids. MY SO looked at our son hair, picked up the phone calls his sister and tells her, My son hair is going to be longer then your by next summer because Men hair grows faster then women. Then he looks at me and say oh his hair is going to be longer then yours too. Y'all i wanted to smack him up side his head but i had to think about it. My son hair is growing at a fast rate. I hope he is not right.

I think he might be on to something.:ohwell:

My SO's nails and hair grows like lightening. It's disgusting for someone who has to wait about 3 mos for one damn inch and here he is going to the barber every week.:ohwell:

shynessqueen said:
Don't believe the hype,lol.
Means hair doesn't grow faster it's usually just less manipulated then ours thus less prone to breakage.
Plus most men have their hair suuuper short so you can tell immediately if their hair grew.
If that would be true I'd be super mad.:mad:

It's a funny story tough:lol:

ella said:
Don't believe the hype,lol.
Means hair doesn't grow faster it's usually just less manipulated then ours thus less prone to breakage.
Plus most men have their hair suuuper short so you can tell immediately if their hair grew.
If that would be true I'd be super mad.:mad:

It's a funny story tough:lol:

I don't want to believe him but my son hair is growing super fast. I'm going to take a pic of his hair put it in my sigg and take another one in a month. Then y'all can tell me if we are crazy or not.

shynessqueen said:
I don't want to believe him but my son hair is growing super fast. I'm going to take a pic of his hair put it in my sigg and take another one in a month. Then y'all can tell me if we are crazy or not.

You should do it! It would be interesting to see.

ella said:

When I got my last texlax, I told my man. He said I thought you said you weren't going to do that anymore because those chemicals are bad and bring out your hair. Dayum, I don't need him echoing everything I say. I had to explain to him that I meant overprocessing is bad (perming too often and perming anything other than newgrowth). He always reminds me that Im trying to grow my hair as if I've forgotten. He shows so much concern and keeps reminding me of what I tell him--I really think he believe's Im growing my hair for him more than for me. He's so cute and sooo wrong. I know he really would like to see me with healthy, longer hair though. But I want to see me like that.

Christa438 said:
When I got my last texlax, I told my man. He said I thought you said you weren't going to do that anymore because those chemicals are bad and bring out your hair. Dayum, I don't need him echoing everything I say. I had to explain to him that I meant overprocessing is bad (perming too often and perming anything other than newgrowth). He always reminds me that Im trying to grow my hair as if I've forgotten. He shows so much concern and keeps reminding me of what I tell him--I really think he believe's Im growing my hair for him more than for me. He's so cute and sooo wrong. I know he really would like to see me with healthy, longer hair though. But I want to see me like that.
It really is cute how your men are so interested in your hair!:lol: I know it's annoying sometimes, but at least you know they care.

Christa438 said:
They are the worse. You would expect sylists to be more educated but a lot are just as miseducated than average folk imo.

A lot of Black people, in my experience, are the main ones that believe that black women can't have long hair unless they are mixed/biracial. It's crazy. My man believes that black women can have long hair as far as anything from SL to APL. At first, my man believed many hair pictures (that were BS, MBL, WL and longer) were phony and full of hidden weave until I showed him many ladies' up close maximized pictures of their hair and many ladies had a part in some pictures which made it easier to tell. I really got him when I said "You can't tell the difference between real hair and weave." Yeah he was on hush. A lot of people believe they can tell between real and fake but they can't always tell.

I used to honestly believe that - that you had to have a certain 'type' of hair in order for it to grow. And I think it was becuz the only 'real' long hair I saw was that 'type' of hair. I saw a few rare cases of type 4 ladies w/ maybe SL - APL but I would write it off as a fluke...

I think I had this viewpoint becuz most of the black women I grew up around didnt KNOW how to take care of their hair, so it never got a CHANCE to grow longer. Of course now I know much much different. But this was my viewpoint for alot of years, sadly. :(

kels823 said:
I used to honestly believe that - that you had to have a certain 'type' of hair in order for it to grow. And I think it was becuz the only 'real' long hair I saw was that 'type' of hair. I saw a few rare cases of type 4 ladies w/ maybe SL - APL but I would write it off as a fluke...

I think I had this viewpoint becuz most of the black women I grew up around didnt KNOW how to take care of their hair, so it never got a CHANCE to grow longer. Of course now I know much much different. But this was my viewpoint for alot of years, sadly. :(

Me too. It's all a learning progress for me.

Sometimes I see those old views rearing their ugly heads. Like one day I was looking at someone's hair who is a type 3 and I caught myself thinking "well it was easy for her to grow her hair." I had to make myself stop thinking that. If it was so easy for her, she wouldn't be here ya know. We are all here for pretty much the same reasons.

But yeah, like you said, it's such a learning experience.

He has not shared any myths lately, but he did comment today that I don't "buy any Black hair products." If he wants blue grease, I'll buy him blue grease, but he never asks for it, he just gets mad like I'm automatically supposed to have it:perplexed .

jturner7156 said:
Well ((smacks lips)), my SO says I need to keep my hair cornrowed and take 1 braid out at a time and redo it... this is supposedly the way his hair grew when he was growing cornrows several years ago. He also says dirt makes the hair grow :perplexed and to only wash once a month. He also says I don't need to use so many different hair products whenever he sees UPS dropping off another box...he might be right about that though :look: !

:lol: This is what I do, too!! But I wash my hair 3-4 times per week. :look:

kels823 said:

Ah don't feel bad.:)
Obviously most of us believed the same things before we came here otherwise LHCF wouldn't be such a big deal for us.

Lol@Christa,
your man sounds JUST like mine:lol:

I like all those stories ladies,keep em coming.:)

LocksOfLuV said:
I think he might be on to something.:ohwell:

My SO's nails and hair grows like lightening. It's disgusting for someone who has to wait about 3 mos for one damn inch and here he is going to the barber every week.:ohwell:

Most childrens hair grows well period. As far as men and boys, I think its because they eat more protein. If they play sports they get a lot of activity on top of that. So they get the building blocks and circulation they need for good hair. Women are always on some sort of calorie restriction or restriction of some food group after a certain age.

My DH couldn't understand why I don't wash my hair every other day like he does! I had to break Black hair chemistry down for him :lol: especially when it's relaxed and how fragile it can be!

Enchantmt said:
Most childrens hair grows well period. As far as men and boys, I think its because they eat more protein. If they play sports they get a lot of activity on top of that. So they get the building blocks and circulation they need for good hair. Women are always on some sort of calorie restriction or restriction of some food group after a certain age.

I also think it has to do with testosterone. If you notice, their hair is usually thicker/stronger than ours too.

Not a SO, or a friend for that matter.

But I had a picture of my sister and her hair was straightened and long, and he asked why did we put a weave in her hair at such a young age.

When I had a picture of my hair in rollersets, it was on this website, and he looked at the name, 'long hair care forum' and he asked why was I on a white website.

Enchantmt said:

I think this is true too. I was talking to my friend who's getting a doctorate in Cellular and Molecular Biology about hair growth the other day, as a matter of fact, and her theory had to do with increased circulation to the scalp promoting increased hair growth.

Back