LHCF Newbie Here...Can you help me with my edges?

spellinto

Can any of you ladies help me? This has been a problem of mine for awhile in my hair journey. Once my new growth starts to come in, my hair reacts weirdly to being slicked down and I begin to see wet streaks from styling product (please see photo attachments...these are at different periods of my stretches throughout the past 2 years).

It seems no one on the planet has this problem but me! :perplexed Some products cause more streaking than others. I have tried gels (Ecostyler, Fantasia IC, 100% Aloe Vera Gel, and currently ORS Lock & Twist), waxes (Garnier Brilliante Wax, ORS Edge Control, Luster's Renutrient's Stick <--most disgusting!), and even just regular moisturizer (NTM Leave In, Garnier Leave-In) but I am hit with more or less the same effect every single time. What could be the problem? Is it my technique? I pretty sure apply small amounts into my hair. I get so bummed when I see ladies on Youtube brush their hair back with gel/styling product with no negative effects. Please help! :sad:

Attachments

• 11 wks post;  11-18-2011; hair dislikes gels, result in streaking (3).jpg
    11 wks post; 11-18-2011; hair dislikes gels, result in streaking (3).jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Braidout Pony at 8 weeks post (2).jpg
    Braidout Pony at 8 weeks post (2).jpg
    510 KB · Views: 93
  • Gel Causing Strands to Stick Together in Hard Streaks.jpg
    Gel Causing Strands to Stick Together in Hard Streaks.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 71
I get some streak-age but it usually drys clear or I will blot it with a towel or use a brush to distibute the product a bit more. Will yours dry streaky? That would suck (>_<)

That first pic looks like the product is only on the hair on the perimeter so its clumped but just sitting on the hair underneath it. Maybe distributing the product to the layer of hair under that top layer abit then smoothing? That way that top layer of hair isn't "sitting" on top of the rest but merging with the rest.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should rub in your hand first to distribute the product evenly and then smooth in on. Start with a little and add more if needed.

I get some streak-age but it usually drys clear or I will blot it with a towel or use a brush to distibute the product a bit more. Will yours dry streaky? That would suck (>_<)

That first pic looks like the product is only on the hair on the perimeter so its clumped but just sitting on the hair underneath it. Maybe distributing the product to the layer of hair under that top layer abit then smoothing? That way that top layer of hair isn't "sitting" on top of the rest but merging with the rest.

Thanks for being the first to comment as I'm really frustrated by this. I get what you're saying, but is it safe to put globs of gel throughout the layers of my hair just to get it to slick down? My hair shouldn't react this way when all I do is apply gel to the very edges--not the top of my hair or the sides, just the edges. It's like the gel distributes itself throughout my head...I don't know, I really can't explain much more than what the photos provide. I just really want to know why my hair is doing this so I can address the problem! But of course, I appreciate your comment.

Np, I'm not sure why it would act that way either. I can tell you've brushed it through. And I'm sure you've used several different products. Hopefully someone else has experianced this and will chime in

Perhaps you should rub in your hand first to distribute the product evenly and then smooth in on. Start with a little and add more if needed.

I tried this a few minutes after I read your response...the streaks looked smaller but were very much still there.:sad:

Back