Length Humps?

that_1_grrrl

Has anyone else dealt with getting stuck at one length repeatedly?

I am grazing SL. Well, it's more like 30% of my hair is SL. 50% is NL. 20% is less than neck length.

I have been pretty much been SL or close to it all my life. But it seems like my growth stalls when it gets there. Of course, I know it's a retention problem, not a growth problem.

Last month, I cut maybe 3/4 inches (maybe more) to get rid of nasty ends, and my hair is already back to the length it was pre-cut.

So now, I want to GUARANTEE that I will get past this length once and for all. I am so sick of looking at it, lol. I had it when I was relaxed. I have it now that I am natural. SICK OF IT.

So any help?

Patience, don't do anything drastic and hide your hair or get it in some sort of protective style for the next 6 months or so.

Continue nuturing it but, in short put it away!

What mscoco said - love it and ignore it. At that length, esp. I'd protective style it - I'm talking up in a bun/phonybun unless you are DC'ing it or moisturizing it.

Good luck!

I think i may have length hump too lol .i will put it back up after i relax in may i can see my DD hair has grown we both are in braids but her hang longer. last year mys was longer now she is pass me lol i will be wearing a roller set and air drying ALL summer and deepcon 2x a week and co washing hopeing this will get me over. my DD only wash/deep con with heat once or every two weeks and her growth is great. not me i have to work my butt off toget growth lol. guess its all about time.i see some people on here get over their humps in no time wish it was me lol. you will get there happy growing

Don't trim. If you must.....dust. Honestly I'm beginning to think a lot of folks are getting stuck because of "setbacks" which always seem to involve trimming inches. From almost BS back to APL. From nearly APL back to shoulder. I keep reading it over and over.

Lol, that's my biggest problem - ignoring my hair. I think I am just going to go ahead and put it up in those yarn braids before I drive myself :spinning: LOL. I definitely look forward to wearing buns. :grin: Thanks ladies.

Patience, don't do anything drastic and hide your hair or get it in some sort of protective style for the next 6 months or so.

Continue nuturing it but, in short put it away!

What mscoco said - love it and ignore it. At that length, esp. I'd protective style it - I'm talking up in a bun/phonybun unless you are DC'ing it or moisturizing it.

Good luck!

I think i may have length hump too lol .i will put it back up after i relax in may i can see my DD hair has grown we both are in braids but her hang longer. last year mys was longer now she is pass me lol i will be wearing a roller set and air drying ALL summer and deepcon 2x a week and co washing hopeing this will get me over. my DD only wash/deep con with heat once or every two weeks and her growth is great. not me i have to work my butt off toget growth lol. guess its all about time.i see some people on here get over their humps in no time wish it was me lol. you will get there happy growing

Good luck and thanks! Can't wait to see your progress.

Don't trim. If you must.....dust. Honestly I'm beginning to think a lot of folks are getting stuck because of "setbacks" which always seem to involve trimming inches. From almost BS back to APL. From nearly APL back to shoulder. I keep reading it over and over.

I agree. I rarely trim, but I have found that whenever I am having a problem with my hair, I fall back on trimming, and I always trim back to shorter than I am now. Thanks.

OK! Tell tha truf! I'm so tired of reading about folks' self-imposed setbacks.

Anyway Rosie. The last time I was APL was when I was in middle school and right now that's what I'm working on. I'm about to get a weave so I can stop playing in my hair every day. I'm just going to protect it and ignore it until I get to APL.

OK! Tell tha truf! I'm so tired of reading about folks' self-imposed setbacks.

Anyway Rosie. The last time I was APL was when I was in middle school and right now that's what I'm working on. I'm about to get a weave so I can stop playing in my hair every day. I'm just going to protect it and ignore it until I get to APL.

Sounds like a plan. I think I am going to go that route too. If I can't see/touch it everyday, I won't know how long it is, and I can't worry about it. Thanks.

You are totally reading my mind right now. I've been in the same area for a while now. I wonder how some people break their hair plateaus.

I am in protective style twists that hang but I am keeping even the twists pinned up or braided up on my head until the summer months so I can be sure I am NOT getting the ends rubbed on while sitting in a chair or anything else.

First few years I was obsessed with length. I finally understood the importance of having healthy, thick hair then forgot about the length. Now as my transition has hit 1 year I'm thinking about the length again. I have about 20%-30% shrinkage with my natural growth but I'm happy to have the understanding that my hair is healthy and does grow well-I can measure my growth by the silver strands getting longer and longer.

Wow....coincidentally, I was just reading sistaslick's most recent article about this same thing: Growing out Black Hair, A guide to length planning:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar..._out_black_hair_a_guide_to_length.html?cat=69

very informative information about how long it should take to get to certain lengths. I agree with others....it wasn't until I just ignored my hair, bunning daily, and then all of a sudden it started growing on me.:yep:

I've never seen that sistaslick article. Thanks for posting it here! It gave me a lot of hope considering that I am actually in line with what she says. I BC to *maybe an inch* of hair, and I have been lamenting the fact that I am not full SL yet. According to this, I still have to October, lol. :lachen:

I really appreciate this. It will help me set more achievable goals.

When you seem to be at a stall....HIDE YOUR HAIR! LOL Let it do its thing and wear a protective style where you don't even have to see it! I just got some tree braids and this will be my protective style until June/July. Hopefully I'll inch closer to APL by then!!!

Back