LCHF define "setback" for me please

MrsHdrLe

I thought I had a set back b/c my beautician had to cut off about an inch from my ends at my last visit. Apparently that's a trim by LHCF standards.

So what is a set back? How many inches must you lose for a cut/trim to qualify as a setback? Or what condition does your hair have to be in for you to consider your progress stifled?
TIA

IMO if you go in for a trim and come out 2 inches or more shorter it is a setback. That is 2-4 months of growth for some.

If you go in for a blunt cut and come out with unwanted layers or a significant U cut. It's a setback.

If you find that your hair is full of splits and you have to cut(2in or more)

If it starts to break and nothing is repairing it.

Well, I went in for a trim today and came out with 6 inches less than I went in with. I guess that would fall into the set back category.

I do consider 1 inch to be closer to a trim, but believe me I know how hard it is to lose any length.

angiet, you never had a set back, as i posted in your other thread.....your hair is the fricken bomb ok. all your stylist did was improved your hair girl!!!!

i always considered a set back to be some sort of damage. like a bad relaxer. sever breakage, heat damage, and so on

i never thought of a trim or cut as a set back because while it takes time to make up the growth, your hair is still in good or better shape.

i went in for a 1.5-1 inch trim and left missing 6 inches of hair... i didnt see it as a set back cause... well my ends looked fabulous, though uneven lol

i dunno... i guess a set back is in the eye of the beholder?

i always considered a set back to be some sort of damage. like a bad relaxer. sever breakage, heat damage, and so on

i never thought of a trim or cut as a set back because while it takes time to make up the growth, your hair is still in good or better shape.

i went in for a 1.5-1 inch trim and left missing 6 inches of hair... i didnt see it as a set back cause... well my ends looked fabulous, though uneven lol

i dunno... i guess a set back is in the eye of the beholder?

Thanks for saying this. I'm not going to consider my cut a set back. And my ends do look much better.

For me, a setback is anything that happens to my hair that leaves no choice but to cut off a significant amount.

Well, I haven't had a setback (thankfully) since I started. I think of a setback as an unforeseen problem that throws you way off from your hair goals/plans.

It's usually something that severely affects the condition of your hair or causes you to lose a significant amount of length. A one inch trim is pretty standard hair maintenance, IMO....I mean, I wouldn't want to lose an inch unnecessarily, but that's why I don't go to a stylist.

I consider set backs hair disasters like bad dye jobs, over processed, hair burned at the dominicans which resulted in a big trim, continuously over trimming (I have this problem)and so forth. Something that will cause you to delay your goal deadline by 6 months to a year...IMO a one inch trim doesnt really set you back any....at the most 2 months if you're on a time deadline

^^^^ to clarify, I don't trim my own hair besides dusting, so I do see a stylist when I'm ready for a trim.

Whether or not something is a setback depends on your hair goals. If you are trying to grow your hair and you have an unexpected cut then that could be a setback for you.

If your goal is to relax your hair and your hair falls out or breaks off then that would be a setback.

If your are trying to get healthy hair and your hair starts breaking or suddenly gets dry and nothing helps then that's a setback for you.

Currently, I am transitioning to natural getting several inches cut off my hair wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't consider that a setback. BUT, if my NG became damaged or was unintentionally cut then that would be a setback to me.

How you define setback is directly related to your hair goals.

Last edited:
To me, a setback is:

- You relax your hair and when you go to rinse it you see half of your hair melted off in the sink like this lady

- You take down your weave, and due to some small mistake in your routine...end up with dreads that you have no choice but to cut out of your hair leaving you with choppy pieces.

- You wanted a cute brown color for the warmer months and end up with green hair thats endlessly breaking

- You press your hair and accidentally burn out a patch of hair

- You intended to get a trim, entered the salon with waistlength hair and left with APL hair

To me, a setback is a mjor mis-hap that compromises a long period of progress and causes you to be back where you were a long time ago starting over.

Last edited:
OP, like you I didn't have such an extreme definition of setback,
for setback just means no or little progress because of a mistake you made with your hair like not moisturizing; or it means that you didn't retain the growth you should have
obviously a major setback would be something major like a huge cut or something
I understand why you think you had a setback in your other thread

Whether or not something is a setback depends on your hair goals. If you are trying to grow your hair and you have an unexpected cut then that could be a setback for you.

If your goal is to relax your hair and your hair falls out or breaks off then that would be a setback.

If your are trying to get healthy hair and your hair starts breaking or suddenly gets dry and nothing helps then that's a setback for you.

Currently, I am transitioning to natural getting several inches cut off my hair wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't consider that a setback. BUT, if my NG became damaged or was unintentionally cut then that would be a setback to me.

How you define setback is directly related to your hair goals.

I agree with your assessment.

Thanks. I defined my cut as a set back because I wanted to be at bsl by my wedding day and I was just grazing it. I figured i would've definitely made it if I didn't have to lose an inch of hair. Now it's questionable. That's my point.

Thanks Sharifeh for your take on it.
Adora, I'm fighting to keep every millimeter of healthy hair I have. When I have undeniably long hair like you and some others, I won't quible over losing an inch, but my hair is apl and those who remember the struggle to get from sl to apl to bsl probably can relate to my sad little tale.

Back