Ladies who use No Lye: do you still have dryness even though you chelate?

locabouthair

I started using No Lye in March because I read it supposed to make your hair straighter, I have 4z hair that wasnt getting straight for nothing. Now I've always had dry hair, but I dont think I remember my hair being this dull or dry when I use a lye relaxer. I use the chelating poo right after the relaxer is washed out, the chelating poo is also a neutralizer. So I chelate at least once a month. I have really bad dryness, now it could be due to cones in my products, poor diet, hard water, etc. But I'm looking at all the possible causes so I though I'd ask you ladies.

Now I know not all no lye relaxers are calcium based, which causes the deposits, there are others that are lithium based, which I should have went with in the first place:rolleyes:

If I dont see an improvement in 6 months i'm going back to lye.

So do you chelate and still have dryness? Also share what relaxer you use. I use ORS no lye.

I have to chelate more often than that.

I do chelate on relaxer day. But I also have to do it along with the shampoo or two during the weeks following relaxer time.

It is not dryness really. For me it is a brittle, stringy kind of feeling – not supple and soft. This may be worse for me because I also have hard water which deposits even more minerals. I think I still have residue of it on my hair even after relaxer day.

I find that I don’t have to chelate from 3 weeks post on.

I used to, but not with Silk Elements :yep:

My hair wasn't super dry before, but it's noticably softer and moisturized since I started using SE. I recently used the olive oil one, and it's even better than the original! I don't understand all of the problems people have with this relaxer, I love it, it works fabulously for me.

I have to chelate more often than that.

I do chelate on relaxer day. But I also have to do it along with the shampoo or two during the weeks following relaxer time.

It is not dryness really. For me it is a brittle, stringy kind of feeling – not supple and soft. This may be worse for me because I also have hard water which deposits even more minerals. I think I still have residue of it on my hair even after relaxer day.

I find that I don’t have to chelate from 3 weeks post on.

I think I have hard water as well because everytime I wash my hair at home, it comes out SO dry, crunchy, and brtille. But i I go to the salon, it comes out soft.

Im waiting for the test strips in the mail so I can know for sure if I have hard water.

I dont know whats going but my hair is like snap, crackle, pop right now.

My hair wasn't super dry before, but it's noticably softer and moisturized since I started using SE. I recently used the olive oil one, and it's even better than the original! I don't understand all of the problems people have with this relaxer, I love it, it works fabulously for me.

I'll keep Silk Elements in mind if I plan on switching.

No.

I don't see why/how calcium deposits sit in the hair after you use a chelating shampoo.

It's as if the general consensus is that even after you chelate your hair once, you must keep chelating (even if you don't relax again).

It's not like your hair now attracts calcium out of the air just because you used no lye months ago :lol:

That's just my take on things. Once you get the calcium deposits out of the hair with your chelating shampoo on relaxer day, then you're fine until the next touch-up day.

No.

I don't see why/how calcium deposits sit in the hair after you use a chelating shampoo.

It's as if the general consensus is that even after you chelate your hair once, you must keep chelating (even if you don't relax again).

It's not like your hair now attracts calcium out of the air just because you used no lye months ago :lol:

That's just my take on things. Once you get the calcium deposits out of the hair with your chelating shampoo on relaxer day, then you're fine until the next touch-up day.

I was thinking the same thing, that once you chelate, you should be fine.

I was reading old thread where lots of women say no lye made their hair so dry and dull, and I was wondering if they chelated or not.

I'm just looking at all the possible causes for this dryness I've been having. thats all.

I was thinking the same thing, that once you chelate, you should be fine.

I was reading old thread where lots of women say no lye made their hair so dry and dull, and I was wondering if they chelated or not.

I'm just looking at all the possible causes for this dryness I've been having. thats all.

I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. Sometimes words just jump from my fingers onto the screen, and you can't hear my voice or see my face and it just looks like I woke up in b____ mode. :lol:

I'm just saying... I think no lye gets a bad rep. It's one of those things that I find people have a slight irrational fear of on hair boards.

Especially since you chelate, I don't think it's the relaxer. Plus, you only relaxed your roots. Most of your hair is relaxed with lye, isn't it? Even if no lye does have a drying affect on your hair, why would it be all your hair, even the hair that was relaxed with a different relaxer? Not that I'm 100% sure, but it would be nearer to the bottom of my list.

I would think that the chelating poo at least helps with hard water too. The cones would be the most likely culprit imo if you haven't always used a lot of cones...

I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. Sometimes words just jump from my fingers onto the screen, and you can't hear my voice or see my face and it just looks like I woke up in b____ mode. :lol:

I'm just saying... I think no lye gets a bad rep. It's one of those things that I find people have a slight irrational fear of on hair boards.

Especially since you chelate, I don't think it's the relaxer. Plus, you only relaxed your roots. Most of your hair is relaxed with lye, isn't it? Even if no lye does have a drying affect on your hair, why would it be all your hair, even the hair that was relaxed with a different relaxer? Not that I'm 100% sure, but it would be nearer to the bottom of my list.

I would think that the chelating poo at least helps with hard water too. The cones would be the most likely culprit imo if you haven't always used a lot of cones...

no you werent harsh. I see your point.

I need to try a moisturizer without cones and see how that goes.

My hair is dry naturally, but when I used no-lye, chelating regularly my hair was even drier and had alot less elasticity. I have hard water, I think that has alot to do with it. Back to lye now and my moisture levels are alot easier to maintain.

Nope. I've gone back and forth on the lye, no-lye because of self-relaxing and relaxing at home and so far no dryness to report after years and years, lol.

I might experiment with lye to get a very clear picture of the difference on MY hair but I am wary of it being too strong for my scalp.

I use a chelating shampoo and I report no dryness, I think to the OP it's your water based on you still seeing dryness with your lye touch-up.

Back