Ladies in your 30s and 40s, does your long hair make you look younger?

Oh I forgot when your hair is long and full (which is tends to look when natural) it projects a sense of health and wellness to others. Even though the notion is slowly changing, health and wellness is connected with youth in our society.

Last edited:
I am 45 and I think it has more to do with the style and the structure of the face. I look younger with my hair pulled back than I do with it draping my face. At least I think so. So regardless of the length as long as I wear it back in some form it seems to work for me. I will prove myself right or wrong when I get to BSL.

I have a friend who told me that older women with long/big hair look stupid, a la Cree Summer. I think she looks beautiful. Longer hair definitely gives a more youthful, playful look IMO. I initially cut my hair when I was younger because I wanted to look older at my job.

I think long hair makes me appear younger. I'm 38 and I still get carded, although it's not happening near as much as it used to.

The thing that is aging me is this 30 lbs of extra weight I'm carrying. Once I get that off and my hair reaches WL, you won't be able to tell me nuthin'!

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

No, my face does. I'm 34 and I still get carded. Not bragging, since it's annoying at times. Although, when I wear a braid-out it helps.

Same here.
If someone’s face doesn’t look young to begin with having long or short hair wouldn’t help a person much, they may ‘feel’ young by not necessarily look young. I’m in my early 30’s my hair is natural and mbl and I plan on growing it to tbl. I do look younger than my actual age, it’s not because of my hair length or a certain hairstyle that I wear, it’s just how it is and ain’t complaining lol.

I'm 36 and I get asked if DD and I are sister all the time. But as for the hair, I'm BSB and I feel younger with this length. And the looks I get from guys :look: :lol: but DH loves it. He's always saying "make sure you wear your hair down when we go" wherever. He's really proud:yep:

Hey Ladies in the Grown and Sexy Club:gorgeous:,

I was wondering if your long hair makes you look longer. I will be 30 this year and I often contemplate on continue growing it longer(around APL) or getting it cut short(a la bob or pixie cut). So far I am leaning toward growing it out. So my question is for the women who are 30 and 40 years old, can you honestly say that your longer hair makes you look younger yet age appropriate? Also what current length is your hair?

Thank you for your responses:grin:

This seems to be an old "once you turn 30 cut your hair" I say keep your hair!! Think about this: Do Indian women cut their hair at 30 (culturally speaking?) Cutting hair around 30 seems to be a western modern invention. For me, I do look younger.

Grow it sis! I am around mid-back pretty much and will continue to grow.:yay:

AA

I don't think hair length has anything to do with looking younger or older. I have hair past my shoulders but I think having a flattering cut and healthy thick hair make someone look younger. I also think that being a healthy weight makes ppl. look younger, I think putting on 10 lbs. puts on 5 or 10 years. That's why I am planning to lose weight and get my hair thicker! :)

We age well in my family so looking older isn't something I'm worried about right now, no matter what length my hair happens to be. I'm 31, but my B-day is in a couple of weeks so... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think natural hair can make a woman look younger, no matter how long or short it is. IDK I just feel that bigger hair exudes energy and youth. Not to mention the fact that naturals sometimes wear braids and two strand twists, styles we wore when we were very young. Depending on how it's done, these can give us a very youthful look.

when my hair is straight...whether its long or short makes no difference...and when it's natural - due to my epic shrinkage - even bsl looks like ear length so the question is null and void :lachen:

spin off from original question: for me the hair and age connection is less about "long vs. short" and more about "straight or natural"

i look younger when my rocking my hair natural :antlers:.

not to mention the added bonus that folks associate natural hair with youth...(i,.e., many have natural hair as young children before getting their first perms)

People always think I am at least 10 years younger than I am, but I can't fully contribute that to just my hair . Right now I am contemplating cutting it to *maybe* shoulder length because frankly, I am just tired of it. Plus, that will get rid of my relaxed ends because I am transitioning.

I think I look the same..Because my features didn't change...I like long hair..One day I may be one of those older women with super long silver hair...lol

Happy Hair Growing!

I think that with the shape of my face, I look better with medium length hair, somewhere between chin and shoulder length.

I do think that having big bushy hair makes me look younger than I might otherwise.

I'm just 29, but I wanted to tell you ladies that NONE of ya'll look your ages! I would have taken off at least 5 years for most of you and the hairstyle choice is irrelevant. :yep:

I'll be 36 this yr...& weather with long or short hair I don't look my age. My Mom is in her early 50's and looks like SHE is 36!! LOL!

I still get carded & I have boys my sons age (16) hollering at me :) ...I could be such a cougar LMAO!!

Most of the women on the forum at least take care of their hair well. When it comes to the general public, especially some older white women, its best to cut off.:look: I see women with long, dry, frizzy, bleached/colored, split ended hair quite a bit. If you can't make it look nice then it will add age. Many women on here and many Asian women tend to look really good with long hair past 30. Depends on the person, the face and how healthy the hair is I think.

I think long hair is associated with young age. It seems like most women who have passed 35 chop their hair off.
I was thinking about Kyle from Housewives of Beverly Hills and when she showed up at the Roaming 20's party with the short wig, it added at least 15 year to her age.

I think long hair gives the appearance of youth, so does as a slim figure.

This seems to be an old "once you turn 30 cut your hair" I say keep your hair!! Think about this: Do Indian women cut their hair at 30 (culturally speaking?) Cutting hair around 30 seems to be a western modern invention. For me, I do look younger.

Grow it sis! I am around mid-back pretty much and will continue to grow.:yay:

AA

Thank you I'm with you sis I'm 40, and I'm going to grow it as long as it will grown.

I had relaxed MBL until my mid 30s and never thought of cutting it until I decided to BC. Now, I'm still in my 30s with APL hair and I have no intention of ever wearing my hair short again. It definitely makes me feel and look good wearing it longer.
I think women wearing these short matronly hair styles are actually aging themselves big time. I totally refuse to let the youth obsessed western society's ageist BS dictate how I wear my hair or dress! I think for most women of colour, who take care of themselves, aging isn't really a issue anyway until we hit about 60.

I think it depends on the person but for me long hair does make me look younger. People tend to think I am in my 20's when my hair is longer and in my 30's when it's shorter than shoulder length.

I'm 38 and I still get carded. When I tell people that I have a grandchild, most are surprised. Many people say that I don't look my age. I don't think length (long or short hair) makes me look older.

I'm wearing braids now. The longest end are tail-bone length. I have to admit that longer hair makes ME feel sexy, though.:look: I can't wait to see my natural hair at this length in a few years.

I had relaxed MBL until my mid 30s and never thought of cutting it until I decided to BC. Now, I'm still in my 30s with APL hair and I have no intention of ever wearing my hair short again. It definitely makes me feel and look good wearing it longer.
I think women wearing these short matronly hair styles are actually aging themselves big time. I totally refuse to let the youth obsessed western society's ageist BS dictate how I wear my hair or dress! I think for most women of colour, who take care of themselves, aging isn't really a issue anyway until we hit about 60.

Preach it! Jozze
.:grin:

I'm going to be 40 in 3 weeks. I look younger anyway and I'm not sure if it's my hair. I dye my grays, I ain't playing LOL I also make sure to dress up and take care of my body so I would say it's a combo of all 3. I think short hair makes some women look older.

I really don't care what anyone says, I'm not going to cut my hair.

I'm in my mid 40's and looking awesome w/my big hair. I will continue to grow my hair till it reaches WL, don't think i want to go beyond that.

Same here.
If someone’s face doesn’t look young to begin with having long or short hair wouldn’t help a person much, they may ‘feel’ young by not necessarily look young. I’m in my early 30’s my hair is natural and mbl and I plan on growing it to tbl. I do look younger than my actual age, it’s not because of my hair length or a certain hairstyle that I wear, it’s just how it is and ain’t complaining lol.

How you feel and how you look are totally different. I have short and long hair and I still look young regardless b/c I have a young looking face. I'm about to be 29 and I still get carded, get hit on by 20 year olds. Hair doesn't matter but I prefer long hair b/c it makes me feel good.

For me the longer hair makes me look a little younger. Im 46 now and when i had my hair shoulder length it did seem to make me look older, i still feel like im in my 30's. :)

I am 34 and people think I'm about 26-28. When my hair is longer the cut is what looks older to me. I've been full WL but I just think it looks ridiculous on me because I have a small face. I love being BSL WITH layers. Heavy one length hair looks dated and ridiculous. My hair was about 2 inches from WL last month but I had it cut AGAIN.

Back