knots from taking out twists

coolsista-paris

hi. when i do twists with my natural hair it helps me getting my hands out of my hair. im trying to do low maniulation for more growth.
But when i take my twists out ,i find or make knots at the ends ,so i end up having to cut the knot. That means i get growth, but brake it again. Its anoying.

Do you think its because the twists are thin? Maybe big ones won't do the same?

i moisturize everyday and all.. so i wonder whats wrong:perplexed

I've given advice to three co-workers this past Friday and I'm thrilled to say they came to me without prompting! One had taken her many small extension braids out after a month of having the braids. She complained her hair was a matted mess beneath her new wig. I suggested a hot, olive oil soak with a plastic cap followed by some Suave coconut conditioner with the cap then a wide tooth shower comb out from tip to root. I can hardly wait for her report tomorrow.

well when i enravel i start from the bottom o the twists,and when its to hard to endo i try undoing the top or middle to be able to finally undo the ends.

maybe on wet hair,or olive soak like said above?

I get knots on the ends when I try to unravel my twists too. What I do is coat the end in conditioner, comb out the curl at the very bottom of the twist, and then unravel the rest. That usually takes care of the knots.
Hope this helps :)

For me, I thought I was starting from the ends, but I found that I was starting an inch or two from the ends and pulling to separate the two strands. This caused a knot to form near the end. Doing what the previous poster said - combing out the ends - should help.

Also, there is a way of twisting where you roll each strand separately before twisting the two together. Nonie is an expert at this, maybe she'll come in here.

Kink

the same thing used to happen to me - in order to prevent the knots I...
1. untwist from the very bottom and work my way up
2. don't twist my hair all the way to the ends (i just finger curl the ends with avocado butter)
3. mist my hair daily with water and seal the ends with coconut oil

I get them too...I don't know what to tell you. :perplexed
Sometimes I unravel from the bottom sometimes from the top....my hair is just super coily....so as to see length I don't cut the knot(s) unless there is more than one strand involved in the tangle. :ohwell: other than that I do periodic S&D's.

Unraveling dry twists will definitely encourage knots.

Before I unravel my twists I spritz the ends with water then coat them with Africa's Best Oil then carefully unravel them starting from the ends on up, works like a charm--no knots! :up:

I twist my daughter's hair almost every week, and used to run into this problem. What I do now is coat her hair with conditioner (today I used Suave) or conditioner and oil and leave it for a little while. Then I just undo each twist from the bottom up. I think there were 2 - small, easy to unravel - knots in her whole head today. She's probably what some would classify as a 4B and her hair is in the middle of her back (she's 4). HTH

i get the same problem..i thought i was jus twisting them wrong..im going to try some of the mentioned techniques

I get this problem too. IA that lubricating the ends/knots with conditioner, oil or whatever else definately helps.

I make sure that my hair is well-moisturized when I do the twists, and I apply a bit of oil to my fingers when I unravel them.

Okay all of these definitely make a lot of sense. I think I was getting too frustrated and would end up finishing at the top--seperating the two strands and coming up with knots.

the same thing used to happen to me - in order to prevent the knots I...
1. untwist from the very bottom and work my way up
2. don't twist my hair all the way to the ends (i just finger curl the ends with avocado butter)
3. mist my hair daily with water and seal the ends with coconut oil

+1 on all 3 of these :yep:

Back