KBSS Boycott Planning Thread

What should the name of this boycott be?

• UnOccupy the BSS

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Stop the BSS

Votes: 85 60.7%
  • I have another suggestion (please make it known in the thread!)

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I also believe that this movement needs to transcend HAIR BOARDS. This message needs to be spread to other hairboards so that they can get "on board" as well.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Other ideas: maybe we can contact the guy who created the Black Hair documentary as well on top of contacting BOBSA and other black owned beauty supply stores. The more people involved, the better resources we will have access to.

Heck, we can even have a designated youtube channel where we share video uploads or something, since there is a large majority of black women on youtube who do not use hairboards. Anything to spread the message. A simple video can use pictures and text just displaying facts about why we need to boycott and maybe some narration. You wouldn't even need to show your face in the video at all for that to be successful. Maybe some interviews with local black BSS owners as well.

Shoot, I'm about to do some of this for my own channel to spread the word.

Last edited:

Sunshine_One

OP Do you want me to contact Bobsa and see if they have any views on the boycott?

I think reaching out to BOBSA is a GREAT idea. Also, I think we all need to do research and become extremely versed in this subject. We should gather up all web links and other published sources of information.

There was a lot of press on this topic a few years back when the documentary was released. Someone mentioned (in the previous thread) getting black radio involved. I found a link (posted in the other thread) from a show Michael Baidsden did back in 2007. Now that was 4 years ago but I think it's crucial we know what was said and done back then so that are efforts are NOT repetitive.

That's just my 2 cent for now.

Last edited:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I think the OP needs to be updated ever so often to reflect the new information that is decided in the thread, or either a running list needs to be organized.

It needs to include:

• who is agreeing to do what
  • the websites with different information
  • tasks that need to be complete
  • other things

because information can easily be lost in a 40 page long thread and who wants to hunt and peck 2000 post for the list of Black owned BSS stores.

So we need a historian or something in this thread.

Tamster

I think the OP needs to be updated ever so often to reflect the new information that is decided in the thread, or either a running list needs to be organized.

It needs to include:

• who is agreeing to do what
  • the websites with different information
  • tasks that need to be complete
  • other things

because information can easily be lost in a 40 page long thread and who wants to hunt and peck 2000 post for the list of Black owned BSS stores.
Home
So we need a historian or something in this thread.

i am trying to keep up as best i can, but i am at work all day. i did volunteer to create google doc of all the black owned BSS that we can find as well.

eta: if i miss something, please let me know ok?

Last edited:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
:clapping::dance7:

I hope that more people get involved in this movement. :yep:

Once we get everything worked out good enough that we have a cohesive message, I will spread the word to nappturality since that is my main stomping ground and I hope the ladies there will be receptive.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Here is a list of people that we need to contact:

-BOBSA
-The creators of the documentary on the BSS industry
-This weave shop owner (large franchise in ATL) who was featured in this article "How she weaved one shop into a lucrative franchise business" maybe she knows of any black owned weave suppliers???

I'd be willing to contact the creators of the documentary and Latonya Saunderson (the weave shop lady) but I need to know what to say.

I would like to have a consice message and specific questions to ask. faithVA volunteered to contact BOBSA. :yep:

Also, we need to get things organized:

- Who will start and manage the FB page? (how many people do you all think we would need to run this? I'm thinking 2-3)

- Tamster and I will run the twitter account. We just need to agree on a name before creating it.

- Who will be willing to manage the blog? Is anyone effecient in HTML? I would like for the blog NOT to look a mess. :lol: (how many people should manage the blog?)

- We need a list of people to contact (bloggers, youtubers, black bss owners, etc) and what to say to them. Please list any off of the top of your head.

- I will handle the mission statement. I'll probably write a few and have everyone vote on which one they prefer.

Tamster would it be possible to add a close date on the poll? It could go on forever and we'll never decide on a name. :lol:

Tamster

tiffers i thought about that.. im going to put in a ticket, lol. cause i forgot to add a close date. I think we should have a name picked out by this Friday.

faithVA

I wil contact BOBSA. I will ask them what the issues have been and currently are related to African Americans having their own retail locations. That will be a neutral enough question without leading.

SmilingElephant

Hey ladies :wave:

I haven't read all 4 pages yet but I just thought of a hashtag name.

How about #BuyItBlack? :)

You know how ppl are saying "Buy American" or whatever.

Yes we need a task list:yep:

So far we know November 20th to be the start of the boycott. We have 2 weeks and 5 days from today to be organized to the T.

The hashtag needs to decided by the end of this week as well as the FB page. This way we can start spreading the word of the boycott before it even starts.

SmileyNY

I'm in.

This will only work if we get press coverage.

I'm not sure if this has been said yet, but I think we need to pick a day and organize simultaneous protests in all major cities.

Or... We could have 1 protest in 1 city, make a YouTube video & ask popular hair bloggers to cover it.

Let me know how I could help :grin:

Sent from my iPhone.

Honi

There is no board.
Subbin. I haven't bought anything from them in years. All of your ideas sound great. I think this needs to continue indefinitely for major impact.

tiffers

What about contacting Al Sharpton? He has a show on MSNBC and might be willing to spread the word.

Does anyone have the link to what Michael Baisden had to say about this back in '04? I would like to contact him as well.

SmilingElephant

I just thought it could be later used universal. So we can start with the BSS's...but then ppl will start thinking "hmmm...I think I'm gonna do this for other types of Black businesses as well:yep:"

#BuyItBlack...just flows off the tongue so smoothly:grin:

Sunshine_One

FYI

Below is the info I posted in the original thread:

I'm all for a boycott.

I thought I'd post links to the documentary and post online commentary after it was released. I think this will provide a lot background info for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msY2S3wdFVY

http://community.essence.com/forum/topics/black-hair-the-korean-takeover

There is an association for black owned beauty supply stores. It's BOBSA:

http://bobsa.org/

More commentary:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2598179/posts

http://www.blackinformant.com/uncategorized/taking-back-the-black-hair-care-industry

tiffers

Mission Statements:

1) Buy It Black is determined to spread the word on unfair beauty trade practices and ensure equal access to all resources while promoting unity within our community.

2) Stop The BSS was created by black people, for black people. Our aim is to champion for the rights of black beauty supply store owners, while shedding light on the unjust business practices that keep them from thriving.

3) At Unoccupy The BSS, we believe in fairness and strive to ensure that all beauty supply owners are provided the same opportunities.

That's all I got for now. :) If none of them appeal to anyone, I'll try to conjure up a few more.

Maybe I can mix and match sentences from each statement? I'm open for suggestions. :drunk: