Just about MBL but breakage throughout.. help :(

blessed7777

I am sure most people could not tell in my avatar that I am hiding breakage throughout my hair but I am :(

I have crown breakage and breakage on the right side underneath longer pieces as well as breakge in my center nape area( It creates a gap in the center of my head)... All of this from relaxer damage of course. So I decided 5 mths ago to give up relaxers and transition but what else should I do?

1. Cut it and give myself a bob above the ear and start over.
2. Protective style and trim .. hoping one day all breakage layers will catch up.
3. Any other ideas????

Help me ladies thanks! :)

exubah

Moisturize and seal, those shorter pieces will catch up if they are not split. I'm sorry to hear about this setback but I'm sure with some babying your hair will overcome. It looks beautiful btw and I definitely can not tell you have breakage throughout!!

Chevelure618

I have broken areas too, and it is scary and disappointing, but if you want long hair I wouldn't chop to an ear-length bob...it is too traumatic. Transitioning would help, but if you don't want to give up relaxers altogether, I would just snip 1/8 inch off of the tips of the broken hairs and keep hiding them. I did this to my right side which was much shorter and weaker and now it is in better condition than the left side. It just takes time that's all.

Your hair looks good...noone will know and all it takes is about 6 months to undo the damage.

I did have to stop certain things that I figured out were the culprits....Ponytails, blowdrying...etc., but now that I am on the verge of BSL, I am going to go the extra mile and give up shampoo and also purchase a steamer. I have jumped on board with EVCO as my main treatment along with my staple UBH deep conditioner. Don't panic...it can catch up.

HTH

lilsparkle825

I would say protective style until your broken pieces catch up....the length is there, for the most part, right? Just give it a few months, because clearly SOMETHING is working.

BillsBackerz67

Find a stylist who can blend your breakage and turn it into layers without cutting all of your length. This is what I did and it worked! The picture in my upload was two years ago and I had tons of layers. There is even one spot on the side/back part of my head that was 2.5 inches long! but because of the way she cut it, you could not tell at all.:yep:

Attachments

• Oct 2008.JPG
    Oct 2008.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 55

healthyhair2

I have the same exact problem. I have not relaxed for almost 6 months. This Friday I'm going for a Spa hair treatment and cut @Aveda in Soho. I will ask the stylist to blend in the breakage and take about 1 1/2 to 2 inches off the length. Keep babying your hair and it will GROW!

LadyPaniolo

Don't cut, hon. Don't do it!!! Not for layers and not for a bob either! Just pamper your hair and keep it pushing. I have lots of areas with breakage problems in my head, too. Look at my siggy, does it look visible? Just leave it to grow and it will grow. Maybe once you reach your goal length you can trim to maintain length until it is full and blunt. But you will never reach your goals if you turn to the scissors in response to setbacks. :imo:

growinstrong

Girl, I'm facing the same problem and I aint cuttin nada :nono:. I plan on trimming with ever relaxer (every 4 months) about 1/8"-1/4" until all the breakage is gone :yep:. That way, I can still keep my length and get my hair back healthy again while protective styling.

beans4reezy

Your hair looks beautiful. I couldn't imagine you hiding breakage. Just based off the photo I see, most of your hair looks to be in good condition. I wouldn't cut, I would PS until the rest of the damaged hair catches up.

Minty

You have to CUT. Not the whole head, but yes as the other ladies noted, get regular trims. One piece of advice I haven't seen so far is to search and destroy. Relaxed hair bends and gets single strand knots and pops off just like natural hair. You have to be diligent and clip all those buggers as you find them so they don't knot other strands and cause breakage.

Get a handmade/seamless comb. I also use a sandalwood comb (Diane brand). There are so many things that create broken hairs. Moisturizing and sealing didn't do it for me alone. I went back to Redken's anti-snap, stopped trying to work with shampoo that left me tangled - tangled washed hair=broken hairs. And I stay on ceramides and light proteins that are pH balanced.

I am dealing with the same thing and recently had 2.5 inches removed from my nape and 1 inch cut all over. I waited too long (one year), and I really just had to let go of it. If you get regular trims of 1/4 - 1/2 inch every 6-8 weeks or so, you will really start noticing a difference.

Next touch up relaxer, especially along the 4 sectioned parts, make sure to base the lengths of your hair heavily. You can use petroleum jelly, base cream, as long as its heavy.

Its okay, next year this time you'll see how much fuller your hair will be and the time will fly by.

winnettag

I say just PS, moisturize and trim little by little.
That will slowly even up your hair and help with the transition.
I really wouldn't worry too much if I were you since it isn't noticeable.

supermodelsonya

It could be from stretching. My daughter is currently having this problem right now. Trying to stretch and fighting with the two textures. you may want to try stretching for a shorter time, transition to texlaxing (if you're not already) but going natural sounds good too.

But if you're going to transition to natural, you have to really take care of your hair with the two textures. Or else.....

Keep us posted.

lana

I have breakage in my nape from damage, so I let that go natural and now it's about 2.5 inches shorter than the rest of my length. So I'm waiting to let it grow out and I keep trimming the longer length until it all catches up, hopefully in about six months.

I'm really not sure why the back nape area broke off, it could have been heat, because that area is sensitive to heat and it straightens way easier than the rest of my hair. But I thought I was being gentle and using low heat. I barely touch it with a blow dryer in the back. NEways this post inspired me to keep up the good work, I will make sure and continue to trim any splits that I see in the back.

Kellum

Please don't cut your hair. It is very pretty and for the most part seems to be in good condition. I wouldn't get layers either. If the majority of your hair is one length then keep it there. Maybe you can just clip the ends of the broken areas to keep it healthy. It will grow out and catch the rest of your hair. I would just baby your hair for now. Do more dcs with moisture and protein.

pri

from looking @ your pic in your avatar you can't even tell a thing! your hair is beautiful! I went through the same problem w/ severe crown breakage which lead me to the hair boards but I chopped to chin length to even things out before finding the boards and I wish I hadn't b/c most likely my hair would've caught up even though the actual crown was practically gone. I recommend like everyone else who said DON'T CUT and just pamper that area keep it well moisturized and stay on top of your dc-ing don't put any stress on that area and massage it throughout the day w/ a light massage. I had breakage so bad it was like traction alopecia my crown was see through..I would wear my hair push back into a bun to camouflage it..now w/ all that good care its almost at length w/ the rest..so in all that girlie :) just continue treating it w/ care! HTH