It's Hard Out Here In These Pj Skreets

Last year I began "gifting" products in my stash to friends and family. They love it and it has helped me get through the inventory. I purchase "el cheapo baskets", line them with shredded papers or Easter basket grass, put in the hair products and wrap the baskets in cheap netting. I'm rehabbing and gettin' out these PJ skreets! :cold:

Last year I began "gifting" products in my stash to friends and family. They love it and it has helped me get through the inventory. I purchase "el cheapo baskets", line them with shredded papers or Easter basket grass, put in the hair products and wrap the baskets in cheap netting. I'm rehabbing and gettin' out these PJ skreets! :cold:
Aw! Good idea!

My wake up call came around this time last year. Somebody posted a thread about the number of products they had. I knew I was a bit of a pj, but didn't think I was that bad. But out of curiosity, I counted my stash. I believe I had around 150 products. I couldn't believe it. It was more than I knew I could use in years. So I started giving things away to family and friends in batches.

The first batches were things I didn't use and didn't like. Next, were items that I liked (but didn't love) and had multiples of. Next came the online/boutique products that my hair liked, but I knew I wasn't getting through fast enough. Recently I've started giving away stuff I really like, but already have a different product in the same category that is a holy grail.

I've also made it a rule that I cannot buy multiples of a product that I have never tried (no matter how good the price or sale). I've also decided to search for sample sizes of products, if I can. So that I don't have to commit to 8 or 16 oz straight away.

I just counted and my stash is currently at 35 products. Which includes 4 bottles of my holy grail shampoo (it might be getting discontinued and I've been using it for over 10 years. So I had to stock up), some 2 oz samples, about 3-4 products that only have 1-2 uses, and another few that are 70% gone. And I can think of maybe 3 products that will be in the next batch of giveaways (things that I find myself never reaching for anytime I do my hair).

If I'm really unsure whether I want to give away a product, I give it a last chance. I do my hair on one side using the product(s) up for elimination, and on the other side I use products, of the same type, that are my holy grails or what I've found myself unconsciously reaching for instead. No product yet has survived the last chance round.

I haven't really thought about a goal number of products I want. But I think having less than 20 would suit me. But I think my current number is max capacity. Now anytime I get something new, I give away something I already own, but haven't been using.

Purging hair products actually inspired me to down-size in other areas of my life too. I think I just needed something to get me started. It's felt really good to give the stuff away to others and I can honestly say I've not missed a single thing. Giving away stuff has helped me focus on just using the stuff my hair really loves (and not just mediocre products).

Just wanted to say I can't believe I "resisted" the bogo sale at sallys. It was like I had no interest. I guess I'm officially reformed. lol

I'm reforming my pj ways, but will admit that I was very glad that I didn't find out about the Sally's bogo until after it was over. I don't think I could have resisted.

Giving away stuff (and minimizing buying new stuff) has been key in purging my pj stash. I still glance at the hair product aisle when I go to stores. But now I don't stand there reading all the labels, comparing ingredients, testing scents, etc.

@ilong, I've mentioned this before, but giving products to my sister and mama does not work. Months, I mean months, after giving my mama some shampoo bars, she asked how to use them. She then said, "Oh. I guess that's why people have stuff for so long that other people give them. They don't know how to use them." While I'm thinking, "Then why didn't you just ask me when I first gave them to you?!?!?"

No, gifting with my family doesn't work. A couple of sisters at work are very appreciative of hair products though. Between themselves, husbands and children, they can find use.

I am definitely a reformed product junkie. Like you, Whiteoleander91, my products began to give me anxiety. I would look at them and feel overwhelmed! I would also feel sad that so many products were being neglected and would go unsued or only used once. Not to mention the expense! I didn't discriminate so I had and have products ranging from high-end to low-end. Of course, I ran out of space in my bathroom for the products which included an entire linen closet, so my products migrated to the basement closet, the basement itself, my bedroom closet....... It wasn't until I moved (2013) that I really had to face my addiction. I cannot tell you how horrific the moving experience was just due to my hair products alone. I gave away soooooooo much delicious hair stuff. Since we down-sized our housing, a lot of my stuff, including hair products went into a climate controlled storage.

To give you an idea of how much I have, I have only purchased about 3 products since 2013!!! For a long time, I would go into stores and totally avoid the hair products aisle. NowI skim it just to see what is new but I don't buy anything. I am moving again in 2016, but the house that we have purchased is too small for my mass amount of products so I will be doing a lot of giving away and throwing away when the time comes to empty the storage unit. I've learned that it is much more fun to buy something, use it up, then purchases something else. This allows you to save money, time and space and gives the opportunity to try the new stuff out there.

I also learned that a lot of my products provided the same results and the cheap was as good as the expensive. I also learned what products give me the desired results that I want and I pretty much know, by reading the ingredients, what results I am going to get from the products sitting on the store shelves. So, there is no need for me to buy everything and anything. I wish you the best of luck. This was indeed a journey for me and kicking my habit did not happen overnight.

Last edited:
@SEMO

When I read your post, I went and counted my stash. I thought I would have about the same amount as you, but my actual number was 254 (this includes about 50 sample size products)! :eek: :

Moisturizing Conditioners = 14
DCs = 56
Stylers = 40
Oils = 41
Butters = 26
Liquid Leave Ins = 26
Creamy Leave Ins = 47
ACV Mixtures = 6
Shampoos = 16
CoWashes = 20
Reconstructors = 9
Ayurvedic Powders = 9

Although I haven't been buying any products, this is way too much and I am about to bless my family and friends real good.

@kellistarr

I agree that cheap products can be as good as, or better than, expensive ones.

I've tried so many products, but a $5 jar of cantu coconut curling cream, that I can get from my local Target, is my holy grail curl cream/moisturizer. Knowing this helps me avoid buying new curl creams, since I know that the odds of me liking another curl cream more are slim.

Currently, I have a holy grail shampoo (Roux porosity control), a holy grail curl cream (cantu coconut curling cream) and a possible holy grail oil (avocado oil).

I'm still trying to find a holy grail deep conditioner and leave-in. So in those categories I'm still open to experimenting. But I'm waiting to use up some of the stuff I have before buying more. Also, knowing how long it takes me to work through a bottle or jar of product makes me less prone to buying them on a whim.

@SEMO

When I read your post, I went and counted my stash. I thought I would have about the same amount as you, but my actual number was 254 (this includes about 50 sample size products)! :eek: :

Moisturizing Conditioners = 14
DCs = 56
Stylers = 40
Oils = 41
Butters = 26
Liquid Leave Ins = 26
Creamy Leave Ins = 47
ACV Mixtures = 6
Shampoos = 16
CoWashes = 20
Reconstructors = 9
Ayurvedic Powders = 9

Although I haven't been buying any products, this is way too much and I am about to bless my family and friends real good.

@trclemons

If it makes you feel better, that 150 count did not include samples (most of which I've since given away). If it had, the number would have been closer to 170.

The number of products can really creep up on you. Esp. if your stash is stored in multiple locations. Or your mind can sometimes think of multiples you have of a certain item as just 1 thing.

For all of Ya'll currently in Rehab....

I'll hold things down until you all decide to Relapse and come back to PJ-Land.:giggle:

*just kidding*

Keep up the Good Work Ladies! I'm Proud of Ya'll.:grouphug2:

@IDareT'sHair

Lol. As a former pj, I'll always be in "recovery." But when the pj itch strikes, I just live vicariously through looking at hauls on here and youtube. :) I saw a glorious haul just today in the July "what did you buy this month" thread. I also glanced in the "what's on sale" thread, but had to leave. I found myself at curlmart before I could blink. :oops: I had to talk myself out of an impulse purchase of a devacare sampler pack. :drunk:

@SEMO
It is definitely a 'process'. And it's own 'journey' within itself.

I tried to rehabilitate once before & gave up. Couldn't even last a week.

Now I just tell myself to try to 'buy less'. If I can do that, I feel like it's a small accomplishment.

I had to be 'honest' with myself. Full & Total Rehabilitation is so far off my radar.

So I just deal with where I am and try to manage it as best I can.

@jbwphoto1 -trust me I understand. I have some family members who I wouldn't think of gifting to. But as the saying goes " one man's junk is another man's treasure". Your colleagues at work see your gifting as a treasure. Don't let unappreciative folk deter your gift giving and affect God's blessings for you as a result of your charitable spirit.

Last edited:
Well, now that the 4th of July Sales are over, I hope I can coast right into BF. :cycle:

I'm thinking about picking up a few Liters of a couple items. Hopefully, not much more than that.

@SEMO
It is definitely a 'process'. And it's own 'journey' within itself.

I tried to rehabilitate once before & gave up. Couldn't even last a week.

Now I just tell myself to try to 'buy less'. If I can do that, I feel like it's a small accomplishment.

I had to be 'honest' with myself. Full & Total Rehabilitation is so far off my radar.

So I just deal with where I am and try to manage it as best I can.

@IDareT'sHair - Too funny!!

@SEMO and @trclemons and @ the professional enabler (@IDareT'sHair ):biggrin: you all make my stash seem non-existent. Not including oils, I have less than 50 total products. I use oils for so many things that I never consider them as part of my hair stash only.
What helps me watch $ spent on hair care is 1.) I like EXPENSIVE other Luxury items, 2.) I like to travel 3.) I like clothes and 4.) I plan on retiring in a few years and I have no plans to become a Walmart greeter or returning to work, once I do. RETIRED is RETIRED (from my professional job) for me, however I will continue running my business. BUT, BUT, BUT if someone offers me a ridiculous amount of money to return as a consultant - then :cowgirl: I go.) :yep:

Last edited:
Back