Is this too much heat??

Ericka

To start off, I've been natural all my life. I just cut my hair to shoulder length so I can have an even growth b/c before this I had layers that I started not to like. I use to wash my hair once a week but now I started washing it twice a week due to product build up. So therefore I now hot comb my hair twice a week. In b/w the 2 washes per week, I may use the ceramic flat iron once as well as the ceramic curling iron. Ever since I got my hair cut to the shortest layer, my hair is thick. I would like to maintain the thickness and grow my hair but I think I'm using too much heat and b/c of this, it might thin out my hair.

Does anything have any suggestions that would help me keep a straight hair style without getting a relaxer?
Thanks
smile.gif

yeah that sounds like a lil bit to much. maybe you sould rollerset your hair sometimes. Or you can just try to hot comb it twice a week and not use the flat iron or curling iron in between.

I think you might want to curb the heat too. How about twist or braidouts? They are great in the summer time and they last for about 2-3 days depending on your wash cycle. and i can't imagine having any heat on or near my head in the summer it's way too hot!!!! I personally feel too much heat hinders hair growth, summer time is the time that most people experience mass hair growth, so you may want to cut back on some of the heat to experience this.
smile.gif

Sounds like alot of heat. Unless your hair has thrived in those conditions before, it may stymie your growth. Maybe you can alternate between straight styles and twistouts or braidouts for curly/wavy looks.

hot combing that much does sound like alot, and i'm not scared of the heat per se. I agree to try out new looks. you may want to alternate weeks of being straight and curly like NubianAngel suggests. I'm sure your hair will be glad. aren't you losing some of your hairs natural curl by doing this so often just curious? good luck
wink.gif
-- jainygirl

I just purchased some products that are suppose to help define your hair natural curl which is Paul Mitchells Sculpting foam and Wax works, and these 2 products did in no way help bring out or atleast define my hair's natural curl.
I was hoping to acheive a nice curly look, which is what I think is called a Deep Wave. I just don't know how to go about acheiving this look.

Any tips??

I'm a natural as well, and what I do to maintain my hair from being straight is washing it once a week just like you and pressing and flat ironing, but just once not a everyday thing. I don't use the ceramic flat iron, I think by using the regular flat iron it straightens your hair a lot more. My press does last two weeks but I like to wash it because it get's dirty really fast. So, yeah if you press it with the regular pressing comb and regular flat iron then it should stay. No more heat is needed and by wrapping your hair. Also, I find it difficult to find products that can maintain your natural curls and moisture. I'm still in search for that.

Ericka, do you have any pics?
I think they would be helpful in figuring out what hairstyles/techniques would be good for your hair.
If you want straight hair, I would recommend rollersetting.
To show your natural texture, I suggest twistouts and braidouts.

Ericka-

My suggestion is that if you really would prefer to wear your hair straight, I would go to the salon and have them press it professionally(I assume you do your own press). They would use less products (preventing build-up) and your press would last at least a week (depending on your activites...
wink.gif
).

I do believe your regimen involves too much heat.

Back